Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
How about the Pentax underexposed *both* the snow much and even more for the bulls? Its far from "highlight blowout" as you suppose.
No, but you might want to look up the concept of 18% gray and how it relates to ANSI standards for exposure. Then perhaps you'd stop spreading so much misinformation.

01-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve....which lens?

I'm a bit troubled by the lack of sharpness in these shots....unless they are huge crop.

My experimentation would lead me to say centre weighted exposure and use the "catch in focus" setting in the custom menu, with spot focus.

Cheers
Grant
01-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
What we have here is a dynamic range problem. Since bracketing three stops fails to produce a photo that keeps details in the snow AND the bison, the lighting conditions exceed the capability of the sensor. Not much you could do except perhaps use Fill flash (an external unit) to light the bison up, and allow the ambient exposure to keep the snow from blowing out. Cool photo, shame about the lighting though...

Marc - Spot metering the bison would have exposed the bison properly, but would have blown out the snow.
Hear, Hear.
01-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Steve....which lens?

I'm a bit troubled by the lack of sharpness in these shots....unless they are huge crop.

My experimentation would lead me to say centre weighted exposure and use the "catch in focus" setting in the custom menu, with spot focus.

Cheers
Grant
Thanks for the feedback Grant. I was using a Sigma 100-300 F/4 at 300mm and 1/1000 @ f/5.6. The crop is about 1/3 of the frame. I'm going to try your suggestions on focus and exposure. Hopefully I'll be able to setup a tripod or monopod next time as well.

01-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Steve, this issue has been well covered by several folks well versed in this situation. It is a similar issue I face when photographing dark or black subjects even in the summer in brighter or sunny conditions.

I too would encourage you to use at least a monopod, since even those shutter speeds at that distance is no guarantee of a sharp image (when hand held). Low contrast subject are difficult for the AF to nail correctly (even with Canon), and sometimes if they are that far away the option to MF can be used. Another option is to simply verify the lens barrel shows at around the infinity marker if it's difficult to tell in the viewfinder. The lens barrel distance indicators can be useful.

Regards,
Marc
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I agree that the issue here is not "Pentax metering" problems. I assume those comments came from the individual (troll) who I have blocked, so I can't be sure. I wish everyone would do the same and stop feeding him troll bait by responding to his comments when his intent is obvious.

I think that the exposure is actually excellent if the goal was to capture both the bison and the snow, as close to what our eye would see as possible. If the bison were the only thing that was important to the photographer and a blown-out snow-scape was acceptable, then this is a classic case where spot metering should have been used. It is actually the exact same problem (but inverse) as taking shots of the moon. If you use multi-segment, or even center-weighted metering, the moon will blowout because of the black of space, and the limited dynamic range of ALL DSLR's. If you use spot metering, the exposure will be perfect.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-08-2009 at 02:25 PM.
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

noticed this today

This fits in w/ this thread a bit. noticed a picture on one of our calenders....
just had to scan it in for fun. Scan is real close to the actual image.... Dynamic range can be a nightmare problem...
01-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I haven't had a chance to photograph snow scenes much yet but it is something I plan on doing a lot of.
I am wondering if a polarizer would had been helpful here also.
Of course a polarizer for 82mm lenses aren't cheap. Thats why I haven't one yet.

01-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Can you catch them at sunset?
Or sunrise?
Wouldn't this help with the dynamic range issue?
01-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
Metering with Pentax is what it is. The photo posted was using pattern, so even using centre weighting as you suggest *would* have helped, as would spot on the bison and snow to get a feel for the full range. Bottom line, there are ways to deal with the metering, like dialing a few stops of +EV. It's just a matter of knowing the tool, and while it's a shame that the OP is frustrated with the exposure of the scene, it is a tough one to capture regardless because of the dynamic range. I don't care what brand you use, it will take a bit of work to get the desired result in a scene like this.
The only way to get a proper print (an exposure is not doable) is to bracket widely and use HDR program. For this particular shot, I would have used snow only reading +2 and bracket 5 at 2 stop intervals. Then run the images through Photomatix HDR if I really wanted the snow detail to show.

Bison are very dark coloured animals. I would not spot meter them because they would then come out at 18% grey which they are not.
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback. I did try some center weighted test shooting yesterday and the "subjects" have much better exposure. I'm headed to the local duck pond this afternoon for some actual practice. I'm also going to do some focus testing with different lenses to see if I have an issue there.