Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #1

Dead settings-memory battery in *ist DS

Hi Folks,

I'm new around here. I've been searching these forums and the web looking for information regarding the battery that keeps the settings permanent inside of my *ist DS. I recently noticed that when I replace the AAs I get the initial screen and the date's set back to 2005 and all my custom settings are lost. It's pretty aggravating.

Usually in a device like this they use a tiny lithium watch cell battery to hold the settings when the main battery is out. I cannot find it in this, and I suspect it's non-user-replaceable, meaning I'll have to bust out the soldering iron.

Has anyone run into this, found it?

Thanks,
Glen

01-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is another possibility. Some items have a permanent memory that doesn't use a battery - can't recall its name. Have never heard of a DS losing memory. How long did the camera go without batts? After a few days even the permanent ones reset. Call Pentax and check with them about "hidden" battery. You don't want to take a dslr apart unless you really, really know what you are doing.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now - ending soon!
01-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most modern devices (and some older ones) tend to use "supercaps" as their backup power source:
Electric double-layer capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But i doubt it could be simply dead, unless overheated, discharged at high rates many times, or otherwise abused.

Very large capacitors, most suitable as backup power supplies (bad high frequency and fast discharge characteristics, polarised).
So it migh happen that no matter how hard you try you would not find a battery.
Try looking for something like this:
http://www.mpja.com/images/15990.jpg
http://www.keelynet.com/briteflash.jpg
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/5f2j00NCqQHKslkpbFM/Supercap-SJ-Series-.jpg
http://www.ferret.com.au/odin/images/167356/1-farad-supercap-167356.jpg
New Page 1

Since they can have many looks, better try identifiying it by label. They usually have a rating in few farads (Labeling: xxx V, xxx F - voltage and capacitance, as seen in pictures) instead of micro (uF), nano (nF) farads found on ordinary capacitors. They might be located near the memory integrated circuit or power circuits (batteries, on/off switch, voltage stabilizer).

They are used because when you insert bateries, they charge up instantly and hold their charge long time.
Some devices have a bad design, which while turning it on without batteries, also connects the supercap to all camera circuits (which would normally, with batteries, recharge it) thus instantly discharging (with high rate - bad) them into much more demanding camera circuits.

Hope this helps in any way..

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.
01-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
There is another possibility. Some items have a permanent memory that doesn't use a battery - can't recall its name. Have never heard of a DS losing memory. How long did the camera go without batts? After a few days even the permanent ones reset. Call Pentax and check with them about "hidden" battery. You don't want to take a dslr apart unless you really, really know what you are doing.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now - ending soon!
You're thinking of flash or any other form of non-volatile storage. I doubt it's using NV ram, otherwise I can't explain the loss of settings.

-g

01-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks ytterbium. I assumed it wouldn't be a cap of any sort because of the possibility of the camera sitting without batteries for long periods of time. A coin cell would be better at this...

But I'll keep that in mind and look for it. Hopefully I can spot it if it's obvious.

-G
01-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
thanks
barondla

There might be an EEPROM of some sort to hold most of the settings, but some source must keep the clock ticking for picture taking date and time to be correct.
I just set exact time, removed batteries from my k100d and will wait some 5 minutes, to see if the time is just stored without power, or the clock keeps ticking. (Will update this post).

Update: After 15 minutes, time is correct, so the clock is ticking. Search for a power source .

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-04-2009 at 05:14 AM.
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
There might be an EEPROM of some sort to hold most of the settings, but some source must keep the clock ticking for picture taking date and time to be correct.
I just set exact time, removed batteries from my k100d and will wait some 5 minutes, to see if the time is just stored without power, or the clock keeps ticking. (Will update this post).

Update: After 15 minutes, time is correct, so the clock is ticking. Search for a power source .

Haha, thanks for doing the test. I have an AC adapter, but it's just inconvenient to have to pull it out and hook it up to change the batteries....I'll keep you all posted if I figure anything out.

-G
01-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have a digital voltmeter you could try to locate the backup power source and connected circuits with it. Bad thing it does not work... might be possible to do it with camera powered down, batteries in place, and then look which parts of the camera still have power (voltage) applied to them. Starting from the batteries.
Unless, you have to disconnect them while disassembling the camera.

01-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
If you have a digital voltmeter you could try to locate the backup power source and connected circuits with it. Bad thing it does not work... might be possible to do it with camera powered down, batteries in place, and then look which parts of the camera still have power (voltage) applied to them. Starting from the batteries.
Unless, you have to disconnect them while disassembling the camera.
Yep, that'd be the plan. I have a decent idea of what I'm doing once I get in there (im an EE), but my problem right now is finding a clean enough place to do this. I don't want to open my camera with the mess I've got going right now. =) Sigh, I better get back to cleaning up around here.

Thanks everyone.

-g
04-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #10

Same Problem on K100D Super

Hello,

I joined this forum specifically to learn about this exact problem. While it seems that my K100D Super will keep the date and time for some amount of time when the battery grip is turned off, I eventually find that they've been reset when I turn the camera on. I do seem to find at that point that the grip is also completely discharged.

The grip is a Travor P100. It's batteries are lithium. And honestly when I'm using the camera the batteries do great. It's just when I'm not using it that the problem arises. Any helpful thoughts as to what might be going on?

Thanks!
Mike