Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K200D excessive dust on CCD

Hi all!

Picke dup a K200D and Pentax 18-55mm kit lens over Christmas and after a few shoots I've noticed that there's silly amounts of dust reported on the CCD.

Here's examples of what I mean, taken by the camera's inbuilt dust alert function:

50mm:

35mm:

18mm:

This shouldn't be happening on 8 day old gear that's never had the lens off. I've been back to the camera shop and had the body AND the lens replaced. The same thing still occurs (different patterns though).

So, am I being too picky, or is this 'normal'. The only thing I can think of (if this is indeed a fault) is a bad batch or bad store stock.

Any tips/ideas? I'm going to run the tests again now that I'm back home and see if there's any improvement from in-store. A Pentax rep is going to be in touch tomorrow so I should know more soon.

Oh, and yes, these marks do show up in everyday photography, so it's not me going mad

:: EDIT ::

Just ran the CCD shake about 20 times or so, seems to have removed all dust or whatever it is. This dust alert feature sure is dicky, it's been showing up a huge amount of false positives. Shooting up against a white, bright wall shows *nothing*

So either running the dust shake over and over has helped, or I've been using the function incorrectly the whole time (which would be a right pineapple and no mistake)

Last edited by Sir Snapsalot; 01-03-2009 at 08:07 PM.
01-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Make sure you're pointing it at a blank sheet of paper which fills your entire field of view. If you're pointing it at a white wall, see if it makes a difference which part of the wall you're point it at. I've seen funny patterns when I pointed it at a white wall with a lot of "texture." No guarantees that my advice makes any sense, though.

EDIT: Responding to your edit, in particular "Shooting up against a white, bright wall shows *nothing*":

That means there is no dust on your sensor.
RTFM.

Last edited by asdf; 01-03-2009 at 08:20 PM.
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I find that if you shot towards something you will get an image thats sort of what the last picture looks like. i have found that shooting at a white piece of paper or even with the lens cap on you get a clearer image of dust on the sensor
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi. I up graded from K10 to K20 in late Nov. Two weeks into my new camera I also notice some spots on my pictures. I never tried the dust alert function and could not believe the amount of dust. I activated the shaking cmos sensor and seemed to get most of it off. Hoping this wont become a problem

01-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

Sorry I ment I did try the dust alert
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can notice anything.

I'll be shooting a city skyline, 30 sec exposures @ f16-22 ISO 400/800 see how that goes.
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Snapsalot Quote
This dust alert feature sure is dicky, it's been showing up a huge amount of false positives.
That will happen every time if you're not pointing at something plain like a featureless, textureless blank wall when you run the dust alert function.
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, what everyone else said. Point it at a totally featureless subject, like a blank wall or clear sky.

I think pretty much everyone that's used the dust alert feature has made this mistake when they first tried it out. At least, I like to think so since I made this very same mistake.

01-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the same thing happen when I was fiddling about recently. Turned out I'd accidentally pointed the lens toward the cornice rather than the ceiling alone (which is my normal featureless white object).

The resultant image is a lot like a very high contrast monochrome image IMHO - like printing on grade 5+ paper for those that remember that......
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find leaving the lens cap in place works well.