Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20 and the Battery Grip

Sounds like a great add on. Anybody have one? Impressions?

01-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, many people have them. Most like them very much. I got one to help me be more stable when using a longer lens in the vertical orientation.

It's a bit inconvenient having to take it off the camera to change the battery in the body, but you can set your camera to only use the grip battery (I think) and just change that battery when needed.

You can go to Amazon.com and read all the reviews.
01-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Sounds like a great add on. Anybody have one? Impressions?
Unlike the absolutely brilliant BG-10 body grip for the Pentax MZ-S, the K20 battery grip (D-BG2) is (IMHO) poorly thought out in terms of powering the camera. I really it supported AA (NiMH) batteries!

As SpecialK already mentioned, you need to remove the D-BG2 in order to change the primary camera battery.

But my primary problem is that it doesn't allow AA battery usage. Try finding D-LI50 (or equivalent) battery in a remote location outside North America. You can bet that AA batteries are available pretty much anywhere though.
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The battery grip is fine, however be aware that there's a bug in the firmware that can cause the adjustment wheels to sometimes not work. It's intermittent, but can happen.

Once you're aware of it, it's not that big a deal.

01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
The battery grip is fine, however be aware that there's a bug in the firmware that can cause the adjustment wheels to sometimes not work. It's intermittent, but can happen.

Once you're aware of it, it's not that big a deal.
This is not a firmware bug - it's a mechanical user problem that I have done to myself. Both edials must be in a detent for everything to work properly. As long as one makes sure that the edials are firmly in the detents - an easily learned habit - the problem will no longer occur.
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've had my battery grip for over a year and it never leaves the camera. The only hitch I've encountered is sometimes I hit the green button on the grip with the lower portion of my hand.
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find the BG-2 pretty heavy, especially compared to the Travor grip for my K100DS. The Pentax grip adds enough weight that the camera+grip+larger lens becomes uncomfortable around my neck.

I especially don't like the BG-2 with the Sigma flash on the K20. I find the combination makes the camera heavy to hold and unbalanced, especially with the front e-dial getting in the way of my index finger. OTOH the K100DS+lens+grip+flash is reasonably light and beautifully balanced. I prefer to use the flash in wireless mode with the K20 anyway, but if I have the flash mounted on the K20, I'll probably remove the grip.

I do like the way the BG-2 balances the camera with a larger lens (but then I don't like the extra weight around my neck). I've decided I'll only use the Pentax grip occasionally, whereas the Travor grip is pretty much permanently mounted on the K100. The K20 is large enough that it doesn't need the extra hand-hold as much as the K100.

The extra run time provided by a grip is nice, but the K20D battery life is not really a concern. The storage for the extra card and remote is marginally handy. The vertical shutter release is a nice feature. All in all the BG-2 was not a great purchase for me, but I got a terrific deal at Adorama, so it didn't cost enough that I'm bummed about my purchase. I have it now if I want to use it, and it does look impressive.
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

another feature of the K20D w/ grip is you can run the batteries in parallel and you get slightly faster AF and FPS speeds (at least a bunch of folks on photo.net seem to think so, even if it's never been mentioned in reviews)...

01-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
another feature of the K20D w/ grip is you can run the batteries in parallel and you get slightly faster AF and FPS speeds (at least a bunch of folks on photo.net seem to think so, even if it's never been mentioned in reviews)...
If there's a difference it must be subtie. I've never noticed anything.
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #10

One thing you have to keep in mind when comparing the MZ-S vs K20D and AA's, is the MZ-S is a 6V camera, and the K20D is a 7.4v - You either have to use 5 AA's, which is wierd, or step up the voltage, which wastes energy, and reduces output. It'd be nice, but I'm happy getting the $10 NP-400's!

Does the D-BG2 have the capability to leave the AA's in and plug in an AC adapter for charging?
Or do you have to remove the AA's?

All that being said, anyone got a camera using CR1's? I have (4) NiMH CR1 cells and a dual-cell charger I'd almost give away, because the batteries aren't being used, and it'd be a waste to let them go bad! I was using them as memory backup batteries for a DataRover 840 PDA, but lost interest in that, and the batteries sit idle...

Tony
01-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

K20D(as with K10D) with grip is like " Adam and Eve" (only with a better ending) perfect

cheers
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
Does the D-BG2 have the capability to leave the AA's in and plug in an AC adapter for charging?
Or do you have to remove the AA's?
There are no AA's, there's only a lithium-ion battery pack, the same one you use in the camera. They have to be removed from the grip to re-charge.
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by afs760bf Quote
I've had my battery grip for over a year and it never leaves the camera. The only hitch I've encountered is sometimes I hit the green button on the grip with the lower portion of my hand.
Having done similar things, and even more often firing the shutter accidentally, I have trained myself to turn the grip on when I turn the camera vertical and turn the grip off when I turn back to horizontal.
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
This is not a firmware bug - it's a mechanical user problem that I have done to myself. Both edials must be in a detent for everything to work properly. As long as one makes sure that the edials are firmly in the detents - an easily learned habit - the problem will no longer occur.

Thanks Albert, I'll give this a try. I haven't really played around with it as I thought it was intermittent. Your explanation fits my experience.
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There are no AA's, there's only a lithium-ion battery pack, the same one you use in the camera. They have to be removed from the grip to re-charge.
Sorry - I meant the D-BG10 for the MZ-S. Does it have the ability to charge the AA's through an adapter?
Or do you have to pop out the batteries and externally charge the AA's?

Tony