Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
That's because you used spot metering with a big white sail in the middle of the frame. Folks tried to help you and explain that there was nothing wrong with the camera, but you didn't listen, and now you come back here to dog on Pentax. That's weak dude....

Um, no, I used evaluate. If your going to post about my old thread, down load the pics and look at the exif info. Examples of why the K10d sucks once again.

My old Fuji Finepix 2800z took better pics. This one was taken four years ago of Eastern Point lighthouse.

Why can't the K10d meter worth a damn???

Do a Google search about image quality, you'll find reviews like these two, "The Pentax K10D performs quite well, both in terms of image quality and speed. Among 10 megapixels DSLR cameras, its image quality is still behind the Canon Rebel XTi, the current leader."

"Arguably the biggest rival for the K10D is the Nikon D80. At first glance the K10D appears to thrash it in terms of features including built-in image stabilisation, dust removal, environmental sealing and impressive RAW capabilities; the K10D's also cheaper.

But in our view, the D80 simply out-performs the K10D in day-to-day use. We shot with a D80 throughout the entire period of this review and saw first-hand how it handled exactly the same situations as the K10D. There were many occasions when the K10D required exposure compensation, while the more sophisticated metering of the D80 remained un-phased. We also preferred the output from the D80 using the default settings."

Ditch the Pentax and buy a Canon or Nikon, end your head aches, and heart aches, your wasting memories when taking bad pics with the K10d.

I'm sure that I'll be banned after this post.

Last edited by explr1; 01-05-2009 at 08:09 AM.
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #17

Banned? Surely not!

Pointed and laughed at, possibly...

Sorry, couldn't resist such an obvious troll.

(and for the record, I am not a Pentax fanboy, I have happily used all the current makes of DSLR)
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just crank the thing to full blast and bounce off the ceiling.

Set apeture to one to two stops from wide open

Set shutter speed to roughly 2/fl

Adjust ISO as needed from there.
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by explr1 Quote
I sold mine two months ago in favor of a Canon after coming back from Mystic with 200+ dark pictures that were shot in bright sunlight.
Which is *exactly* how they should have come out when you used a spot meter on a white object as you did. This was user error, plain and simple. You basically *told* the camera to underexpose, and then complained when it did. The camera would have to have been defective to *not* produce a dark picture with those settings.

01-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Which is *exactly* how they should have come out when you used a spot meter on a white object as you did. This was user error, plain and simple. You basically *told* the camera to underexpose, and then complained when it did. The camera would have to have been defective to *not* produce a dark picture with those settings.
wait, you mean user error could be responsible for dark pictures?

Next thing you'll tell me that user error could be responsible for "horrible AF."

Crazy talk! It's all Pentax's fault!!!
01-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
Banned

I took a few snap shots of baby items, no PP, some are cropped. I won't have one to photograph until March 11th, but the pics will give you an idea of how your pics would look shot with a Canon and a Sigma EF-500 DG ST ettl II flash. As you can see, all areas are properly exposed.

Last edited by lostkj233; 01-05-2009 at 03:38 PM.
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Pointless

QuoteOriginally posted by lostkj233 Quote
I took a few snap shots of baby items, no PP, some are cropped. I won't have one to photograph until March 11th, but the pics will give you an idea of how your pics would look shot with a Canon and a Sigma EF-500 DG ST ettl II flash. As you can see, all areas are properly exposed.
Original poster used a bounced flash and angles are unknown. Your comparison are invalid.

01-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Original poster used a bounced flash and angles are unknown. Your comparison are invalid.
Heres some quick bounced off the ceiling pics.

01-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lostkj233 Quote
Heres some quick bounced off the ceiling pics.

Even my D hasn't been that far off (from the orig posters) unless flashed into some object that beamed a specular highlight back to the camera. such as a mirror, glass or chrome. Either the cameras malfunctioning (as in broke), or there is user error...
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Um, no, I used evaluate. If your going to post about my old thread, down load the pics and look at the exif info. Examples of why the K10d sucks once again.

My old Fuji Finepix 2800z took better pics. This one was taken four years ago of Eastern Point lighthouse.

I'm sure that I'll be banned after this post.
I hope they don't ban you. I like eviscerating people who I think are deliberate idiots.
I'll read more of your posts
I checked the EXIF data on the picture out of your K10. You had the contrast set above normal with a high contrast scene which calls for less than normal contrast being given to the scene, and whether or not you think you were in evaluative mode or not, the EXIF says spot metering, and the dead center of your picture is clouds (white).
You are also set to programmed exposure mode.

So, you have the metering set up in such a way that it is pretty much impossible for it to give you a correct exposure without some input from the photographer (term used advisedly here), and then you set an exposure mode which made it impossible for you to modify the exposure.
The K10 metering is fine when the photographer doesn't suck.

Here, I fixed your picture for you.
Sorry it isn't perfect, but by metering the sky with a spot meter and not adjusting the exposure, you caused your camera to underexpose the scene by a couple of stops.
Note, I say you caused it, since this is an operator error, not a camera error.
Now, go read a book on how to use a light meter, and how to take pictures.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-05-2011 at 08:44 PM.
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I hope they don't ban you. I like eviscerating people who I think are deliberate idiots.
Yowsa -

(I deliberately UNDEREXPOSE my K10D 1/3 Ev and correct in PSE in order to retain detail. My shots ALL start out like the bow shot (well, maybe not THAT dark).

I'm a total noob and I could see in PhotoMe -

Kit Lens

Spot Metering
AE-L Yes - locked to Auto-focus point
ISO 100
1/1000
F/5.6
Hyper Program MTF
Edial in Program Tv or Av
JPEG Best
Auto ISO 400
Av f/8
Tv Exposure 1/45.6
etc. (I got bored)

Now if he got that in Green Mode I'd say he had a point. I'd love to see the EXIF from the Canon.

The poor camera must have been terribly confused
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Um, no, I used evaluate.
Maybe on some pictures, but not on the one you posted here. EXIF confirms it was spot metering.

And even if it was on multi-segment, that's still a big hunk of sky dominating your picture and the camera is exposing for that. Again, any book on photography will explain this. You should should do yourself a favor and learn something about how exposure works - it will make you a better photographer whether using pentax, Canon, or Fuji.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, it is typical for a P&S camera to assume the photographer does not know how to use exposure compensation properly and to therefore make all pictures as bright as possible rather than exposing in the proper way (eg, making scenes average out to somewhat darker than 18% grey, as ANSI standards require and every book ever written on photography explains).
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #28

Canon and Nikon have been blowing highlights for ten years.

There, I said it.

The professional grade cameras fixed the issue. But the D90 was the first consumer camera too. So, ya... ok... right.
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #29

Also, are the above picture supposed to be "good"? Because, they look like something I would get out of a $200 dollar point and shoot after a few drinks with my friends.

I'm assuming you just snapped some off? If so, you might want to take some real pictures to tout how great the pictures look out of a Canon.
01-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
about a month ago, I was using a k10d and a 360 pentax flash and came out with much different results...

I believe I was in "Sv" mode w/ a fixed shutter speed. iso was set to auto w/ max at 400-800 through the night. exposure comp was set to +.3 and flash comp was set at 0. I think I played around w/ "m" mode too, but these pics were in Sv. toward the end of the night, my batteries in the 360 were getting tired (after around 120 pics w/ flash) and then the pics were very underexposed. the camera was in center weighted metering mode... This was my 2nd attempt using flash and I've found it took a fair amount of experimenting and some researching to get to where I'm at now, and I know I have a lot more to learn.

Try playing with your settings and practice. If it doesn't work, change your settings and/or post your results here. I think you'll find many experienced users willing to help. These pics aren't great by any means, but at least show that maybe w/ different settings, the k10d and 360 flash can do pretty okay.