Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Buying a different camera is one solution of course. I'm curious about the cost of repairing the camera mirror though. And then there is the cheap option of simply leaning the camera to the left for every shot.

I have a neat old Kiron 135/2.8 that produces wonderfully sharp images but it suffers from horrible barrel distortion. My solution? I don't use it for shots having straight vertical lines.

Last edited by B Grace; 01-05-2009 at 08:03 AM.
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Well, that's one solution of course. I'm curious about the cost of repairing the camera though. And then there is the cheap option of simply leaning the camera to the left for every shot.

I have a neat old Kiron 135/2.8 that produces wonderfully sharp images but it suffers from horrible barrel distortion. My solution? I don't use it for shots having straight vertical lines.
Samsung charged me 50 to fix a completely broken GX-10, I bet a mirror alignment wouldn't cost you more than that.
01-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I do actually have the same issue with my K200D. What looks like straight horizon through the finder ends up as a tilted one in the photo. Somewhat annoying but I mostly use tripod for landscapes and know the proper amount for counter-tilt adjustement
01-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hi, all the friends, maybe you all are optimism about the repairing, I send an email to Pentax Noway, they said, they do not know what it exactly cost, at leat, the freight and handling fee is 950NOK(about 150USD), not inluding the accessory change, if they change some part, maybe the price is crazy. Disapoiting Pentax. It seems I have to give it up. The price of everything in Norway is crazy

Last edited by leikey1982; 01-05-2009 at 03:53 AM.
01-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D is a very fine camera and really well worth repairing, IMHO. Depending on your exchange rate, it might be cheaper to send it to the UK or even USA to get repaired. The prices you've been quoted for Norway seem outrageous. Do you have a friend going to another country who could take it with them, perhaps?

Like others here, I'm mindful that you have a great deal invested in your lenses, so I strongly suggest you stick with it. Either try one of the workarounds others have suggested or just put up with it while you save a bit more to get the repairs done. As Wheatfield said, if you get rid of it and buy something else, you could be inheriting more trouble. I feel sad for you, as you've plainly done this deal in good faith and got a little burned, but it's not irretrievable.
01-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Speaking from personal experience I had the exact same problem with my K10D. I called the Pentax repair depot in Canada and sent the camera to them to have the mirror realigned. It was done for free (under warranty) and returned to me without incident. It now works like a charmer.
01-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The problem with "Mr. Canon" was he bought a Pentax, set it to spot metering, took a picture of a big white sail in the middle of the frame, complained the photo was too dark and that Pentax must have sucky metering. Despite MANY folks (including myself) trying to explain how metering works, he jumped ship and now shows up once in awhile to dog on Pentax. He would have been MUCH better off learning photography, but.......

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It does look that way, doesn't it? Second time I've noticed him doing something like that.

A further review of his posts reveals a lot of them like that. Seems he bought Pentax, wasn't happy with it, and now is just hanging around to be a pest.
01-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leikey1982 Quote
Hi, all the friends, maybe you all are optimism about the repairing, I send an email to Pentax Noway, they said, they do not know what it exactly cost, at leat, the freight and handling fee is 950NOK(about 150USD), not inluding the accessory change, if they change some part, maybe the price is crazy. Disapoiting Pentax. It seems I have to give it up. The price of everything in Norway is crazy
Sell it on ebay as a "parts" camera. Show that it still functions...Should be able to recover a bit of your investment.

01-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
The problem with "Mr. Canon" was he bought a Pentax, set it to spot metering, took a picture of a big white sail in the middle of the frame, complained the photo was too dark and that Pentax must have sucky metering. Despite MANY folks (including myself) trying to explain how metering works, he jumped ship and now shows up once in awhile to dog on Pentax. He would have been MUCH better off learning photography, but.......
Hey!! I did that once. Somehow I managed to switch the metering over to spot from center weighted and spent half a day trying to figure out why all of a sudden my metering was wonky.
I guess the difference is that I realized what the problem was, decided that with the detentes on the switch there was no way in hell it would have been able to move by itself, and shrugged it off as one more thing that I could screw up.
Never occurred to me to buy a Canon. That's just crazy talk.
Why would anyone do that? It's not like as if they can magically turn around personal incompetence.
01-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why would anyone do that? It's not like as if they can magically turn around personal incompetence.
Didn't you hear? That is a new feature in their "L" glass. It is marked as IR = Incompetence Reduction.
01-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
The K10D is a very fine camera and really well worth repairing, IMHO. Depending on your exchange rate, it might be cheaper to send it to the UK or even USA to get repaired. The prices you've been quoted for Norway seem outrageous. Do you have a friend going to another country who could take it with them, perhaps?

Like others here, I'm mindful that you have a great deal invested in your lenses, so I strongly suggest you stick with it. Either try one of the workarounds others have suggested or just put up with it while you save a bit more to get the repairs done. As Wheatfield said, if you get rid of it and buy something else, you could be inheriting more trouble. I feel sad for you, as you've plainly done this deal in good faith and got a little burned, but it's not irretrievable.
Hi, yes, i pay a lot on the lenses, I used a k100d before and collected lenses for the camera, but what can I do? I do not know how much it is worth now. Maybe I will lost all the money I paid for this camera.

950NOK is only about one way freight, the service station said, return, the price is doubled, it means 200 EURO only for freight, how it can be!!!
01-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Speaking from personal experience I had the exact same problem with my K10D. I called the Pentax repair depot in Canada and sent the camera to them to have the mirror realigned. It was done for free (under warranty) and returned to me without incident. It now works like a charmer.
You are lucky, but I bought it from a local seller, he bought it from US or CA, I am not sure. I do not have the reciept.
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That trolling has been dealt with and you guys can get back to your discussion.
01-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It does look that way, doesn't it? Second time I've noticed him doing something like that.

A further review of his posts reveals a lot of them like that. Seems he bought Pentax, wasn't happy with it, and now is just hanging around to be a pest.
Really? I do not think I bought my K100D too much later than your first Pentax dslr.
01-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leikey1982 Quote
Really? I do not think I bought my K100D much later than your first Pentax dslr.
He's referring to someone else... not you.