Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #1

What is your diopter adjustment?

This is weird because when I wear my glasses or not wear my glasses, the far right setting on my k100d is the sharpest. My prescription is R2.75,L2.50 nearsighted.

Is it supposed to be like that?

01-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I dunno, but as long the display in the viewfinder looks sharp, then all is well.
01-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange! With glasses one would think that the diopter adjustment should be in the center position.

That's at least how it works for me with my K10D.
01-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I dont need glasses, but on my k100d diopter adjustment also tends to be, sometimes even at its most right position, to get comfortable, sharp viewing.
Since to some margin im able to adapt my eye, i can get sharp AF brackets almost to center (although it become uncomfortable to view and after removing camera my eye has to readjust to see enviroment in focus).
As a side note, as i slide the diopter adjustment to the left and adapt my vision for AF brackets to be sharp, focusing screen grain becomes less visible (slightly blured), maybe even some image detail too.

01-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i wear glasses, and my diopter adjustment is to the far-right too. without glasses, far right works the best, but i just can't get sharp image. near-sighted too, -3.5/-4.25
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

on my k100 it's all the way to the right which has me a bit worried cause maybe if I was able to move it one more click, i could be sharper. I don't know. Wish it was centered with room to go left or right in case adjustment was needed...
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

for me it`s the same, far right (with and without the glasses) works best.

if i slide the diopter to the middle, its all blurred when i have my glasses on (even more so with my glasses off).
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is one ckick to the right for sharpest with glasses and can't see s**t without them. Im at the point in life where I need about a 2 in the regular lens plus more in the Biofocal portion.
jim

01-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trifocals User

My right eye is useless for camera work (everything else too, except passing the vision test for a driver's license).

Left eye is +2.0 for the distance lens, +2.25 for the 18" (computer screen) and +3.0 for the reading lens. I never could adjust to graduated lenses, so I have the lines.

The K10D diopter is one click to the right with glasses (left eye) to make the LED's extremely sharp (the secret is to sharply focus the LED's, not the framing marks).

Using the focus assist indicator for auto and manual lenses, the focusing screen appears as sharp as I can get it if I fool around with the focusing ring, and so far my images look OK to me (but then I'm not sure I could see if the were out of focus)

I use the SMC Pentax +2 diopters on my KX and MESuper without glasses - they work great - and the Pentax Magnifying Eyecup on the K10D just to make it easier to see things in the viewfinder.
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all your inputs!

Since there're people using the same settings as I do, I guess it's fine.

Though it is weird why isn't it in the middle for perfect/corrected vision.
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Center with glasses

Jake,
I set mine to the center position with glasses and to the far right without. I always use glasses, because it is to much trouble to take them off etc. I can see the full finder fine with glasses.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
Thanks for all your inputs!

Since there're people using the same settings as I do, I guess it's fine.

Though it is weird why isn't it in the middle for perfect/corrected vision.
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
on my k100 it's all the way to the right which has me a bit worried cause maybe if I was able to move it one more click, i could be sharper. I don't know. Wish it was centered with room to go left or right in case adjustment was needed...
Good to know I'm not the only one who had this exact thought. I got my K100D very recently, Dec. 24th to be exact, this has been in the back of my mind since I adjusted it that day.
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I set mine to the center position with glasses and to the far right without. I always use glasses, because it is to much trouble to take them off etc. I can see the full finder fine with glasses.
Me too on my K200D. Seems about normal to me compared to others I've used.
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #14

I am amazed how many people replied "1 click to the right of center" because that's the same setting on my camera as well. I wear contacts so I shoot with 20/20 vision. Strange that it's not centered.
08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

2-3 clicks from the right. 20/15 vision. I can use the center position, but there is less strain when looking through the viewfinder for long periods of time.