Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

RAW and In-Camera Sharpening

I have a quick question regarding RAW and in-camera settings.

I generally shoot in high quality JPEG as many of my photos end up online, however I am shooting in RAW and I adjust the cameras in-camera sharpness or colour adjustments, will this actually have any bearing on the output colour and sharpness of the RAW image or am I just wasting my time?

01-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could be wrong, but I believe those adjustments have no bearing the RAW files.
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just about all camera settings, except ISO, have no effect on RAW. And, you have quite a bit of latitude with exposure, later, as well.

Some converters will use the camera settings as a startng point to display the image, however.
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do believe that white balance adjustments work on RAW shots though, even though you can adjust them in software, I'd much rather get them right when I am shooting, that's one less step in processing...

01-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Color adjustments and sharpness definitely do not affect RAW. If you shoot with RAW+JPEG and compare both results, it will become very evident.

Regards, Mel.
01-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The in-camera setting would have an affect if you use the Pentax Photo Lab software for processing the RAW image. When you open the RAW file you will see the sliders are already set the same way you had it in your camera. I also use Photoshop Elements 7 and Adobe Camera RAW. The in-camera settings do not have any affect there.

There is another advantage to using the Pentax software. You can apply different modes to a picture in the software and all the setings will be adjusted accordingly. For example, you can set the camera to Natural. When you first open it in PPL you will see all the settings are the same as Natural. Now if you go up in the drop down menus in PPL and apply the Bright mode, you will see the settings will change (the sliders for sharpness and contrast will change).

There is more advantage that I can think of. The K10D has two modes. They are Natural and Bright modes. The K20D has more modes. I can think of two additional modes. They are Protrait and Landscape. Now if you have the K10D and you can get a hold of the PPL software that comes with K20D, then when you open a K10D RAW file in K20D PPL you can apply the Portrait mode, or the Landscape mode to it, even though you may have shot it in Natural mode in K10D.
01-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D-Range also affects the RAW.
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
The in-camera setting would have an affect if you use the Pentax Photo Lab software for processing the RAW image. When you open the RAW file you will see the sliders are already set the same way you had it in your camera.
True, but that's not set in stone you can easily drag those sliders back to zero. Totally different than JPEG, where you can't unsharpen something that's already been oversharpened in camera. You can blur it to try to undo the damage, but that's nowhere the same as just getting back to the original unsharpened picture.

01-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
D-Range also affects the RAW.
Correct. that is because D-range is an "exposure" setting. That is one of the best benefits of shooting in RAW: The only thing you have to worry about is exposure and focus. The person taking the picture can free thier mind of the myriad of other factors that have found thier way into our cameras, and just focus on composition, exposure and focus. The camera since it's inception, is simply a device to create exposure and focus. Every thing else is a postprocess of the image resulting from the exposure and focus. White balance, sharpening, color saturation, contrast, etc. etc. etc. can all be tweaked later to perfection at your leisure in computer post processing (which has a lot more capability than the camera ever will.)
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Yes your right those settings do not apply changes to RAW files only JPEGS.

Thats one of the beautys of RAW, you can tweak with much more control in PP stage with the likes of CS3 or similar.