Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
*ist D and M42

I open this thread because can not get the right solution for my *ist D and M42.

I am using *ist D and has 3 M42 with non-flange M42-K mount. The lens fix on body without any problem accept the body can not focus indicating. I have try with many way
- Set CF with "F Stop other than A" on
- Tape the pin on body in full, only 2 rest.
- Change M42 lens. Small not cover the pins, bigger cover the pins...
and the body still no focus indicating... Any body have the advice on this issue?

01-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there a menu setting that looks like "FI with S lens"? If there is, enable it. (Focus Indication with Screwmount lens").
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@Mike Cash: thanks for your information but this body doesn't have this setting - I guess it replace by "F stop other than A" in CF.
01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the problem is that many M42 lenses do not have a wide enough base to short the focus information pin, furthest away from the lens locking pin on the mount, to the lens mount. With this pin left unconnected the camera thinks it has an AF lens and the wrong distance. Some people have suggested shorting the pin to the nount with tin foil and this makes it work. I simply live with it. I am considering getting a split image anyway for manual focus lenses

01-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Use aluminum foil to short the contacts on the body mount. The paint on the m42 is preventing electrical contact so the camera doesn't know the lens is there most likely.

If that works, you might remove the paint from the right location on the m42 lens.