Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

What is my *ist-D worth

A friend of mine is interested in my *ist-D, and as I upgraded to a K20D a bit ago, thought it would be nice to get something for it before it's 6mp sensor is rendered completely obsolete

Anyone have any idea what the body is worth? I know it's nowhere near the $2400 I paid for it originally.... I was thinking of maybe bundling the *ist-D with the original 18-35 kit lens (of 'meh' quality for those who remember it) and my 70-200 and a few CF cards. Anyone have any thoughts of what this is worth? I was thinking somewhere in the $400 range, but not sure if this is way high or way low.

Many thanks.

01-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is far too high for something that old.

The DS is worth about $200, and it's more updated than the D but also doesn't have some features, so I would think that would be a good price for it.
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

I just saw one at the local shop, in great shape, for $199.
01-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

If you want to use eBay as a judge:

140290918589 Body-only $212.50
290283877878 Body-only $220
230314093917 kit $460 - Body, Sigma EX Lens 70-200 f/2.8,Promaster 28-200 f/4-5.6,Battery grip(reserve not met)

$400 might be a bit much - $250 with the single kit lens, MAYBE $300 with both lenses would be OK.
DS/DL go for $250-350 body-only

BH Adorama and KEH all have no *ist D's in stock, DS's and DL's yes, but not straight D's

Tony

01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There were 2 in the market place reciently in the 300 - 350 range with a grip,

the 200 quoted seems about right for a body only depending on mileage (shutter count)

I like you bought an *istD when it first came out.

I would never sell it, because although 6 MP is not the same as 10, 0r 14, or what ever pentax comes out with next, 6 MP still makes stunning photos.

Don't believe me? see below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

It also does some things much better than my K10D, specifically it has true TTL flash metering, (the shot posted used a 300F4, plus 1.7x AF TC plus TTL flash) and as a result, I can do flash photography with my K mount (Non A lenses) of which I have 8,

It also is good in low light, and makes an excellent back up to my K10D.

You may want to re think your own situation, spend 30-100 on a split image and go play with manual focus legacy pentax lenses, they are great, and a lot of fun.
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there something special about the first one (the "D")? It seems to go for more money than its successors (DS, DL). I've looked around, but can't really figure it out.

From what I can gather, it doesn't have the SR, but otherwise it handles like the K10, but with a 6MP sensor. Not necessarily a bad thing--even after having a K10D and a K20, I'm still impressed with the pics from my 6 MP sensor K100D (which I had to sell).

[edit--Ha! Just checked Amazon.com and the *istD's are selling upwards of $1999. Maybe get a trade in at one of those shops ]
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Is there something special about the first one (the "D")? It seems to go for more money than its successors (DS, DL). I've looked around, but can't really figure it out.

From what I can gather, it doesn't have the SR, but otherwise it handles like the K10, but with a 6MP sensor. Not necessarily a bad thing--even after having a K10D and a K20, I'm still impressed with the pics from my 6 MP sensor K100D (which I had to sell).

[edit--Ha! Just checked Amazon.com and the *istD's are selling upwards of $1999. Maybe get a trade in at one of those shops ]
See my previous posting.

the *istD was intended to be a serious amature camera not entry level camera as some subsequent bodies were,

As a result, it has a penta prism not mirror, for a better viewfinder. Also, for K10D or K20D owners, the similarity of controls is important, as is the ability to add a pentax grip, plus, and this is the biggest plus of the *istD over all other cameras is the metering with Manual apature lenses, and true TTL flahs, which allows flash exposure with manual apature lenses..

These 2 things make it stand out against the K100D and K100D super, which have shake reduction, and all other 6 MP cmaeras except the DS which can also do TTL flash.

This point cannot be stressed enough for legacy glass users.