Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

Pentax K110D with Pentax-M 50mm 1:2.8 Lens

Hello,

I am shooting with a Pentax K110D, and my mom recently let me use her old Pentax-M 50mm 1:2.8 lens.

Everything is great, but, I can't adjust the aperture.

So really it's only good for taking indoor shots at the moment because it's set on a fairly low aperture.

But, I haven't figured out how to adjust the aperture manually.

I would really appreciate some help

Thanks,

-Isaac

01-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

switch to M mode - now you're in full manual mode where you're in control over the aperture and shutter speed.

form time to time, when you get change in lighting, hit the AEL button - your camera will stop down the lens and see how much light it gets, and adjust the shutter speed accordingly.
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever used an older lens with an aperture ring? It's the inner most ring closest to the camera - you twist it like focusing to adjust your aperture. Make sure your camera is set to allow to use lenses without an "A" setting in the "use aperture ring" in the custom settings menu.

-Brian
01-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enable Aperture Ring

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacSteiner Quote
Hello,

I am shooting with a Pentax K110D, and my mom recently let me use her old Pentax-M 50mm 1:2.8 lens.

Everything is great, but, I can't adjust the aperture.

So really it's only good for taking indoor shots at the moment because it's set on a fairly low aperture.

But, I haven't figured out how to adjust the aperture manually.

I would really appreciate some help

Thanks,

-Isaac
I have a K10, not a K110, but - have you changed the settings to enable use of the aperture ring on a manual lens?

Usually that option is toward the end of Custom Settings - check your User Manual (Index) under "Enable Aperture Ring"

01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Correct!!!!!!
Just went through this on my new 200... if you don't allow "use aperture ring" or have the camera set to anything other than M, it won't release the aperture when you release the shutter, it just holds it wide open. This is actualy great for indoor, low light, shooting but worthless otherwise.

Don't forget to press the AEL button as this is the only way the camera will automaticly adjust shutter speed. Once it is set you can fine tune with the thumb wheel, leave it set or press whenever you think the light has changed.
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
In 1990 the US Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion... they tried to run it, failed, and it subsequently closed... Now we are turning over Wall Street, many banks, and a significant amount of the private sector economy to a bunch of dumbasses that couldn't make money running a wh0re house and selling booze???

-Brian

Dude - that .sig is TOO funny!
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
switch to M mode - now you're in full manual mode where you're in control over the aperture and shutter speed.

form time to time, when you get change in lighting, hit the AEL button - your camera will stop down the lens and see how much light it gets, and adjust the shutter speed accordingly.
Thanks elkarrde, it's funny, after I created the thread, I figured it out. But your instructions were exactly what I did.

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Have you ever used an older lens with an aperture ring? It's the inner most ring closest to the camera - you twist it like focusing to adjust your aperture. Make sure your camera is set to allow to use lenses without an "A" setting in the "use aperture ring" in the custom settings menu.

-Brian
Brian, I have used older lenses before on my moms SLR, and on my DSLR, but not being able to change the aperture.

So yes, I did know that first ring was to change the aperture. Thanks though

-Isaac