Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Should i buy K200D, save for the K20D or...

Any ideas? I've only used P&S cameras before so the image quality and ISO performance sure are enough on the K200D. But is the K20D really that much better? Here in Finland i could get a K200D w/ 18-55 II, 52mm filter, bag, 2GB card and batteries & charger for 510 euros, the same package with K20D would cost 850€, so i would have to buy it from the UK, and you never know how the GBP - € changes... I would anyways have to save money a couple months longer.

Or, should i wait for the K300D? If they're gonna announce it in january ("pre-PMA") like they did with the K200D and K20D, i could wait for it. But if not, i'm not gonna wait.

01-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I moved from an advanced p&s to the K200D and have been very pleased. There are enough custom settings that I haven't felt shortchanged by missing a few direct buttons and the additional dial.

No doubt the K20D has a better sensor and some more advanced features, but the price difference allowed me to buy a fast prime lens and a flash sooner, which makes for a more versatile package overall, for me. That said, I am primarily a landscape shooter, and don't make large prints, so the higher ISO performance and resolution was less attractive to me than it may be to others.
01-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Raylonn

I too just bought a K200D, and I think you will be thoroughly pleased coming from P&S. I too also do not miss the extra dial and buttons on the K20D. It is an awesome camera for the money, and with that extra cash you can buy some nice accesories.

I impress people everyday who shoot with the other guys, especially with the waterproofing and price of this thing. It rocks. That's all it comes down too.
01-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

IMHO The metering mode (multi, cw, spot) lever, second dial to use with ISO, LiIon accu. and pentaPRISM, are the main things to be considered.
Everything else wont make THAT much difference in ergonomics and image quality. Since it is already great on my k100d.

I would recomend looking trought the viewfinders of both cameras. Adittionaly, check out how comfortable it is for you to change metering mode in menu on k200d, vs the lever on k20d.
From my expierience, i can tell that in situations of difficult light/changing light i would love to have that lever. The menu way very unconvinient, and its much faster to find a big, similary lit object, lock exposure on it and then shoot.. of course i often get exposure error by doing this. This applies when using Matrix metering most of the time.
The same applies to ISO.. the two more clicks of Fn menu, aren't that bad as removing the camera from eye, to look at LCD or cluttering with ISO confirm. When you could just scroll instead. And even in evenly lit environment, you often encounter different lighting (flash/no flash, shade/sunshine)...

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-06-2009 at 10:47 AM.
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the K20d is a significant upgrade from the K200d. Having 2 dials and the meter lever is worth the price of admission imho. But depends on your budget.
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

K200d vs:

I’m just getting back into photography and bought the K200D and like it very much. I have large hands and still find working with it easy. I bought it for the price and the quality and figure it has everything I would need for the next couple of years technically speaking. If I keep up with the hobby and I can’t see why not then I’ll be looking at a K30D
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
From my expierience, i can tell that in situations of difficult light/changing light i would love to have that lever. The menu way very unconvinient, and its much faster to find a big, similary lit object, lock exposure on it and then shoot.. of course i often get exposure error by doing this. This applies when using Matrix metering most of the time.

The same applies to ISO.. the two more clicks of Fn menu, aren't that bad as removing the camera from eye, to look at LCD or cluttering with ISO confirm. When you could just scroll instead. And even in evenly lit environment, you often encounter different lighting (flash/no flash, shade/sunshine)...
Some of this is me just learning, and may be obvious, but there are some ways to work around the menu structure

metering - I amost always spot meter, take a test shot and check the histogram, so not too much of an issue for me. When I earned to use the AE-L function, results improved a bit as well.

ISO - I changed the 'remaining pics on card' field in the viewfinder and LCD to read ISO instead. Set the 'Auto' range to 100-400. Easy to see where it is, and on rare occasions that I need higher ISO, only a few clicks to change it.

Comes back to budget. I'll deal with the above shortcomings to have more accessories. This is my first DSLR, and likely not my last.

01-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sure K20D is a lot better, but you need to decide what you need I think.

As being a former p&s user, I did not have a command dial or seperate buttons for iso or wb. Now, even one command dial is far more better for me when compared to my ex-cam But you should consider Live Wiev option for example.
If you say you NEED it, then...

You say that you will save about 340€ if you buy K200D which you can spend on lenses after a while maybe?
01-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

since you've been waiting this long, i'll say it's better to wait a few more weeks for pre-PMA announcements, and maybe some post-PMA price drops. and then grab a K300.

it took me almost a year of shooting with K100Ds, and more than 15000 photos to know why i really "need" K20 - and that "need" arose only once (i could have used direct metering button, instead digging through menus).
so, now i'm waiting for PMA announcements.
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The K20D is a whole different beast to the K200D.

Keep in mind the K200D is entry level and the K20D is not.

I bought a K100D Super when I first got into DSLR photography and within 6 months upgraded to the K20D as I found I had outgrown the K100DS.
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've owned plenty of SLRs in the past, but when I bought a Pentax six months ago, I bought a K200D. That was so I could spend more money on some of Pentax's better lenses. I have not been disappointed.

Yes, the K20D is a significant upgrade from the K200D in several ways - but the K200D is no slouch, either: It's essentially a slightly improved, more user-friendly K10D. I suspect, coming from a point-and-shoot, that you may appreciate the automatic scene modes on the K200D, which may make your transition to a DSLR a bit easier as you gain experience and confidence. The scene modes can actually help teach you about exposure and aperture settings in given situations.

While it is true that one has to use the menu more with the K200D to manipulate certain controls and options, it's a bit overstated by some. Nonetheless, there are more dedicated buttons and dials on the body of the K20D. But, again, coming from a point-and-shoot, the K200D set-up should be familiar.

As for live view, which the K20D has and the K200D does not, you'll have to think hard about whether you'll need it. DSLR's are just too heavy to hold out with your arms extended as one does with a point-and-shoot. Yes, you can do it - but it won't be a steady arrangement. In most cases, you'll use the DSLR's viewfinder. What you would use live view for is primarily tripod work. For some people, live view is important. For others, not so much.

I'll sum up with this: If you want to jump into the DSLR pool with both feet and no looking back, by all means go with the K20D, which is a great camera. If you think things like scene modes would be helpful and/or you'd like to save a bit of money in order to spend more on lenses and accessories, opt for the K200D. It's not like it's a bad camera or will suddenly stop taking good photos as soon as Pentax unveils a new camera.

Or, as elkaride suggests, you can wait around for the pre-PMA announcements and see if you want a K300D or a K30D. Just understand they will be more money - at least for a while. I may eventually purchase a K20D or a K30D myself, but if I do, I'll still keep the K200D.

Last edited by Biro; 01-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
01-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Base your decision on your shooting style and feature set on both bodies then decide what is a reasonable budget towards a body then save for "lenses"
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #13

I can only say this:
There will always be a new camera coming up. Waiting has it's virtue. But so does actually having a camera to take those pictures with If I was on a budget I would get the K200D and couple it with a really nice inexpensive lens like the FA 50mm. But that's just me.
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers. I guess I'll wait a couple weeks for Pre-PMA announcements, I can wait a couple months for it to come for sale too cause I would have something to read about

I don't really care about live view either, and I anyways use my P&S with manual settings & look through the EVF because the screen is 1.5".
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just moved up from a K100D to a K20D, and I have to say the two are like night and day. The ergonomics are much better (for my large-ish hands, anyway), the pentaprism is very good, and the second dial is a total revelation. Being able to change the ISO without taking my eye from the finder is mind-blowing.

Then again, if there is a risk of the camera seeing some initial use and then sitting on the shelf most of the time, take less of a risk and go with the K200D. That was why I went with the K100D in the first place (oh, and the fact that the K10D was over a thousand bucks at the time -- remember those heady days of 2006? )