Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hot Australian weather and camera care

So these past few days have been pretty damn hot down under, and it had me thinking: what precautions should be made to keep my camera well maintained in this deadly weather?

Now on some quick searching around, some are pretty obvious - keep out of direct sunlight, don't leave it in the car.

But is there anything else in particular?

(Oh and I love one site saying not to dunk your camera in water - ah durr)

And i may or may not have put this in the wrong forum - but since i have a K20D, i figured putting it here would be fine.

01-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day from Kangaroo Island.

I don't do anything special other than the obvious ones you've already mentioned. If I were heading outback and expected 40deg. days I'd probably take an esky and stick the camera in a cloth bag inside it. The main problem for you in Sydney, I guess, would be humidity, so I'd suggest getting a few packets of silica crystals to keep in your camera bag. Perhaps I'm over-fussy, but I clean my gear after every shoot - camera, lenses, filters, the lot. Only takes a few minutes and it means I'm regularly checking for any signs of dirt, fungus, wear, whatever.

Close shave at the SCG today. What a great match!
01-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeap sure has been hot and when out shooting I have notice is extremely hot ,so when not shooting cover it either in bag or under a cloth in shade

cheers
01-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #4

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Hot weather alright, I live in the Vic high country, 38 yesterday, 40 today,and I thought the high country was meant to be cooler, not likely.
I agree with above comments, and be carefull on hot windy days as a lot of dust and fine grit
gets blown around that can get in everywhere, could also possably sand blast front lens element if it has no protection filter.
The cricket was pretty close, still, a win is a win, and the Aussies certainly needed one.

01-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was pretty hot yesterday, so i went out an bought a 6pk of silica gel packets.... so that's one ticks... heh...

And yea, the cricket - TV has been on in the office past couple days with it showing heh, except my desk is on the opposite side of the room for me to see things clearly - oh well
01-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #6

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I bought a 6pk to, oh hang on mine was cans of Bundy Rum.
I got a few silica packs out of the kids christmas presents.
01-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #7

Hot, dry weather shouldn't be much of a problem providing you do the common sense things you've already mentioned. However high humidity can encourage fungus growth. I keep my camera and lenses in a bag in an area that never gets any direct sunlight with the top permanently open to keep damp air from getting trapped inside. I've had no problems so far.
01-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ohhh, keeping the top open.... thats an idea..

although probably not necessary if i have the silica gel.... hmmm

01-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I always put my gears in a sealed container with the hippo thingy to suck out moisture to keep everything dry. I also have a hygrometer (cheap one bought from a pet shop) to ensure that everthing is like 35 to 40% humidity.
01-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

some of you would die if you saw my camera (K10D), it's still got 'red centre' dust on it from a Winter 2007 trip! So has my car, although that's partly because of water restrictions. I clean the lens every now and then
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Forum Member

40C and near dry conditions, you guys call that hot? I've used cheap point and shoot Sony's, Oly's and Panasonics all the time in temps approaching 50C, humidity approaching 80% and in direct sunlight (snapping pics of pipe racks and equipment). I've always given up before the cameras did. :-) A few times I've seen the LCD go blank or freeze, also strange errors like "insert memory card, none detected" etc. But nothing that a few minutes back in the a/c office wouldn't fix. Honestly, I don't think a solidly built and mostly mechanical Pentax DSLR will have any trouble in these conditions. Fine gritty sand might be the thing to watch out for instead.

Cheers,
Keith
01-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Your K20D should handle the heat fine It's really hot here AND humid, took my K20D to the beaches, rainforests, mountains, by the rivers and waterfalls and handled superbly!