Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah....I just wanted that people speak a little bit better of pentax and the brand...at least if they are here like pentax-people in a pentax-forum
it's much critic, and if people want other gear then pentax have, why they have pentax?

I will not speak more about this so it was only nice to hear what people was think.

Pentax 6X7 that you have is an awsome camera. I looking to buy one soon secound-hand market of course haha

01-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Still almost 67 000 posts (pentax DSLR Discussion) and 78 000 posts(Pentax lenses) comparing to around 15 000 in all other categorys, shows more that people have a bigger need of camera or lenses (not quite tecnical problems) then any other things.
Exactly my point! People come to a PENTAX forum looking for answers about PENTAX PRODUCTS, not how to take artsy pictures. Is that not why you are here? You stated in your initial post that you are comparing camera models and trying to determine which one to buy and were interested in Pentax models...

In a few months i will invest in a new digital SLR, and how I am a little bit tired of the big 2 (Canon Nikon) I was looked for other options.
The only way to do that is to ask questions and find out the good and the bad of each brand. This is exactly why people visit and post questions to this forum. I see people complain and moan just as much on the Canon and Nikon forums...but that is what they are for!

I'm not saying the art of photogrpahy never gets discussed here. They do...and it's usually how to do this or that with a Pentax product. But it's not the main reason the forum exists. It's a forum focused on the Pentax brand. Just look at the forum categories. Most are geared towards equipment and equipment issues (SLR, DSLR, P&S, lenses, lens database, reviews, post processing, etc.)

You got off on the wrong footing. Your initial post was 95% condemnation and 5% question. It should be no surprise that the response is 95% flame and 5% understanding.
01-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello!
How I am new at the pentax forum I will present myself for you guys.

Welcome. But you appear not to have taken the Dale Carnegie approach to winning open arms from many on this forum.

My name is Emil and I'm a swedish photographer-student.

Perhaps it is just a matter of "something lost in translation".

In a few months i will invest in a new digital SLR, and how I am a little bit tired of the big 2 (Canon Nikon) I was looked for other options.
Pentax (comparing to the giant electronic brand Sony) is a camera-manufactor and this cameras is for people that like to take pictures.

Unfortanetly after reeding in the forum (have done it for half-year now without being member) I see the scary fact that much of you guys called yourself
pentax-photo-entusiast, are just no more than camera and lens collectors that does'nt care about the images and the art of photography.
Insteed complaining about why pentax don't have FF or a good live-view function.

Obviously, you seem to be missing the boat about what this forum is all about. This forum is not about professionals. Yes there are a few of us here who make our livings off of cameras but this forum is for people from diverse backgrounds that have different things to offer the Pentax picture taking public.

Do you really think that this complaining and new camera bodies improves your photography. It will not!

Complaining... ummm..... have you read your post? Complaining is human nature. Get used to it because you will only encounter more of it as you get old. Even more if you get married!

Give a compact-camera to a good photographer and he will show you what i talk about.

Some people given great cameras will never take great pictures. So what? Does that make them less happy to explore their level of photography. Does that give you the right to judge them simply because of your education? I think not. After graduate school I went back and studied for a degree in photography. In thirty years of making a living at this profession, I have never judged anyones work as beneath me. I don't know why you seem so compelled to do so.

We complain about that we want the pentax-cameras to focus faster and better, so now I say the same for you guys that think that photography
is about equipment and what camera you use.
Put your autofocus in learning photography insteed of complain
about equipment (and about that pentaxs cameras don't have what we costumers want)

Photorgaphy equipment, like nature itself, in in a constant state of flux and evolution. While I agree with you that the contents of imaging can always be assessed, equipment needs to fit the needs of specific people whom have specific needs. Learning to respect the needs of others whom express their needs, instead of, or in conflict with your own needs, is a good starting point at getting off to a better footing than you have on this forum.

Pentax is a photography-brand. For people that love to take photos.

People here do take photos. Newbies to Pros show there stuff. Maybe you should spend more time looking at what they post before you throw all the babies out with the bathwater.

So it's up to you.
1. Do you want to take better pictures?
2. Do you want an more expensive camera?

= Wrong!! it's not the same thing.

?????

Spend your time you waste here by complain and wait, to learn to improve your photographic skills or be outdoor doing photos.

A huge respect for you people here in the forum that still fight for pentax as the photo-brand, thanks for really "stand out" in this forum.
You do a huge work and i'm proud for you.

To the rest: Fine! Go to Canon, Nikon or Sony if you like cameras and not photography, because in true pentax spirit....sorry, we don't have any room for you.

All in all this was not the greatest "first post" I have seen on the forum. Quite frankly, your statements seem contradictory at times, unfocused and confusing. I'll chalk some of your psuedo ranker and "complaining" to the fact that some of your direct comments seem lost in translation.

Best Regards

Emil Gustafsson
From,

Stephen
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #49
Forum Member

lord have mercy here we go again...

yes this forum might look like a big cluster-f*** of complaints, but there are sections for photos (and heck even point & shoot section) and if you see who contributes in those sections are the same people who contribute in others. So majority of these cats like to take photos and like to talk about equipment (and the want of more) which is perfectly normal and acceptable. Yes there are people who obsess about gear but honeslty its more canikon folks that particpate in that, however just cause the photo doesn't look "artsy" enough doesn't mean that person doesn't know or love photography.
Do you think landscape photographers should make their photos artys?? what, tilt the horizon?? shallow depth of field?? add ridiculous amount of grain?? There is a style and place for everything...
To try and claim that being an "art-minded" photog doesn't care about equipment is b.s. If you have a passion or skill for something, you will be passionate and skillful in ALL areas.

For example, do race car drivers who have the ultimate passion for driving not think about their cars, techniques, improvements, competitors, the whole deal??

And if you want to see the photos by these members, check out their tags and see the links for the websites where they SHOW and TALK about photos! Where is yours? Art student, so you must have something to show the profs, right?

And if this is the way you make friends in sweden, then ooh boy!

01-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I can't help but find it somewhat ironic that the OP is complaining about how people don't care enough about the image yet he seems to be very much in love with Pentax GEAR.

I care enough about the image that I don't care what brand camera I need to use to do what I want. I have Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Graflex, Canon, Yashica and more.

But as has been pointed out, this being a Pentax brand forum you can expect quite a bit of chatter about gear, specifically Pentax gear.

And to the "you don't need fast AF to take a good picture" -- sure, but when you're shooting sports for instance, you'll find that NOT having to futz with manual focusing or other tricks and being able to concentrate on the rest of the image can benefit the final work.
01-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Wow, a lot of posts thru on all 4 pages. Read only the first two though :-)

So, what's the conclusion, did losecontrol post any pictures to redeem himself as worthy photographer that's not only loud in his mouth?
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote

So, what's the conclusion, did losecontrol post any pictures to redeem himself as worthy photographer that's not only loud in his mouth?
no

10char

10char10char...

01-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote

four pages? there are only two.
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
there are indeed 4

maybe you have enough people blocked that you only get 2!
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i prefer the bunny versions
Especially the animated bunny versions . . .
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
there are indeed 4

maybe you have enough people blocked that you only get 2!
I only have two people blocked.

here is a screencap of what I am seeing.

01-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello!
. . .

Unfortanetly after reeding in the forum (have done it for half-year now without being member) I see the scary fact that much of you guys called yourself
pentax-photo-entusiast, are just no more than camera and lens collectors that does'nt care about the images and the art of photography.
Insteed complaining about why pentax don't have FF or a good live-view function.

. . .
Much of my work related photography doesn't have much allowances for artsy due to the technical nature of it. I also happen to use cameras for other things and also collect some camera stuff as well as some antique scientific instruments such as early 20th century microscopes and even have a few analytical balances.

Are you really a student interested in Pentax gear or an Ice Troll?
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #58
jeffkpotter

How about answering his questions?

How do you and your SLR do? Emil Gustafsson
Great, just Great. The low light ability of my K20d has enabled me to take many highly artistic photos in low light situations I would never be able to shoot with a compact. My 12-24mm lens gives me a much wider view than a any compact could give me. My creative latitude has greatly increased in many, many ways using the K20d not the least of which is shooting 14.6 megapixel raw files.
You guys that use a little bit bigger camera, do you always take it with you(like a true classic travel mate )
or do you use maybe a smaller pentax compact that fits easier in your pocket
Emil Gustafsson
It is difficult but I try to lug my SLR with me when I can. Size and portability are obviously the main downside of using an SLR. I do miss shots sometimes when I leave my K20d at home! I do miss shots sometimes when changing lenses. People do freeze sometimes when you pull out a big fat SLR with a jumbo lens. If I were to buy a more portable compact camera to keep with me at all times it certainly wouldn't be a Pentax. I would buy a Panasonic Lumix DMC- LX3, or the Canon G10, or Nikon P6000. To me those are the only 3 serious choices right now. (I'm sure there are many who would disagree.) Your shooting style, and what you are attempting to achieve will dictate what camera you need.
I have seen excellent pictures and true art created with pinhole cameras made out of cardboard tubes from toilet paper rolls. You can obsess with Camera technology to the point of losing sight of what it means to get out there and take good pictures, but to each his own! (We have to allow for collectors.) But, for me, there is no substitute for my K20d and lenses.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 01-07-2009 at 12:31 PM.
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #59
Igilligan

I like this guy...

Welcome losecontrol, I really look forward to having you as an active member of the forum and seeing some of your photos.
Anyone who throws down the gaunlet like you do here in your first post... well lets just say you will be fun and interesting addition to the pentax forum family.

The pot always needs a good stir and even a scorching sometimes....
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #60
Igilligan

Seamuis, you are no forum-enthusist

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Always complaining about how many pages you have, instead of being happy that you have two... it is about the art of the forum not about who has the most pages... Have you learned nothing?

Not saying that I am better or anything but... I have four, soon to be five
Closed Thread