Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I do wonder if the kid wasn't on to something.

Fess up - don't some of you folks, after a good waxing and polishing, take your Taks and limiteds to bed with you and fondle them obscenely in the dark of the night?
Does that make hair grown on your palms?.

01-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a very intersting thread, indeed!

I have not read all replies, but I have hardly ever seen a thread that fetched so many responses in so short a time - so it must contain some things of value.

Emil, what I think is the following:

1. I think your initial post was somewhat premature and too agressive

2. I can see, that you are under the impression, that this a gear-head forum. But it isn't, I think. It is a user-forum.

3. Sure you will find complaints and poor experiences here. This is the nature of forums, where you will often post your frustrations int he first place. But if you read more discerningly, you will soon find, that most threads deal with actual photographic challenges and experiences.

This forum (this is my personal view) is a meeting place, where photographers from all over the World meet and exchange views and expierences centred around the tools of the trade. I don't disciminate between "pros" and "amateurs" here. I find such a tool and craft (not art) oriented forum very helpful and inspiring, despite it is at times short an image examples to discuss.

But to be honest: If people do not post that many images here, then this has reasons, which I respect - and I also expect the respect for my own decision not to post images on the web in general. I personally never do that, because I want to keep control over the distribution of my images, which I can't if it was posted anywhere on the web (this is not aimed at this forum, but anybody can come here and add whatever he wants to his collection). If one of my clients pubishes images on the web, he can do so (provided he /she has paid for that right...)

There are sure other forums on the wast web, which concentrate more on discussing images. Good, and I like and value some of these. But this is a Pentax-Forum and I like and value that, because of its concentration on one major topic, which I find not covered anywhere else in comparable depth and with so many experienced Pentax-photogs around. You will also find, that many photographers starting out in their hobby or profession have found and will always find profound help and many answers to their questions here.

You will find other tools-forums on the web (from circle saws to electric drills...) and this is a tools and insider tricks forum - let's keep it going that way. There is always room for improvement and any positive suggestion and move will be most welcomed by most people here.

Ben
01-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #168

wow! that's a bit of a roller-coaster.

I can't honestly say I've read through the whole thread, 'cause it'd be a lie, but this has got all the ingredients that makes this forum just so bloody marvellous. bit of a barney, confrontation, humour, information, opinion, claim, counter-claim, reasoning etc. etc. etc.

the only thing that's missing are some pictures.

any takers?

or should we wait for Emil?

01-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #169
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HouseOfHorla Quote
wow! that's a bit of a roller-coaster.

I can't honestly say I've read through the whole thread, 'cause it'd be a lie, but this has got all the ingredients that makes this forum just so bloody marvellous. bit of a barney, confrontation, humour, information, opinion, claim, counter-claim, reasoning etc. etc. etc.

the only thing that's missing are some pictures.

any takers?

or should we wait for Emil?

There were some pics on page 8.

01-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #170

I'm off to page 8
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by helios Quote
Welcome to the forum Emil. I have just caught up with this thread and while there are longer threads I think this must set a record for the longerst thread generated by an introductory message. You must have been taken aback by the initial response.

I note that you are a photography student and I am sure that your studies will make you a technically competent photographer and you clearly value the artistic component of photography. However unless you plan to stck to photographing landscapes and inanimate objects I think you may have to extend your studies to psychology and how it affects communication and personal relationships. Your initial post did give the impression that you were lecturing us and disapproving of our interest in the technical aspects of Pentax equipment which is after all what this forum is about. Perhaps it would have been more tactful to simply introduce yourself and then join a few discussion threads. That way you can become known to other members and learn how they interact with one another before starting your own thread setting out your views. As a photograper you will find communication and people skills very important in portrait, wedding, fashion or indeed any other branch of the profession.

Anyway welcome to the forum and I look forward to your efforts livening our debate.

Archie
Hello!! and thank you for welcome me Archie

Well, you are right. I think that what I just said was my opinions, but
to be a little bit clever, I could have post it in discussion threads further in the forum, but you are right in that in my first Post, critize a lot is maybe not a good entrance to the forum and the heart of the members.

I do have start understand that this forum post a lot of gear-questions and well I have accept it and start to take part in the talk.

I looking forward to learn everyone of you guys....in the end of the day, I think that people here have a sence of humour ( no I didn't say rumor ) and well. I guess that we all accept eachother.

Credit to this forum. The last days have been great hang around here
01-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #172
Veteran Member

this thread is epic phail boat, why is it still going on?

01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I guess the reason is that to most, photography is just a hobby, and as a hobby, you don't just have the joy from the art of photography itself, but from the hardwares, and from any experience along the process (moaning included lol).
Well...yes. I kinda have to say... that was what I was mean...But accept it.
The gear if funny for anyones and the art of making pictures for others....in commun we have, that we all like photography.....IN ALL FORMS

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
For me it all started with taking pictures. ...but I am a bit of a whore for those limiteds.

Happy?
Well...far away from happy.

I will not give up untill you clear the fact that you are a whore for those (wonderful) FA star prime lenses as well

Regards Emil
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this thread is epic phail boat, why is it still going on?

Because I drive the boat
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
This is a very intersting thread, indeed!

I have not read all replies, but I have hardly ever seen a thread that fetched so many responses in so short a time - so it must contain some things of value.

Emil, what I think is the following:

1. I think your initial post was somewhat premature and too agressive

2. I can see, that you are under the impression, that this a gear-head forum. But it isn't, I think. It is a user-forum.

3. Sure you will find complaints and poor experiences here. This is the nature of forums, where you will often post your frustrations int he first place. But if you read more discerningly, you will soon find, that most threads deal with actual photographic challenges and experiences.

This forum (this is my personal view) is a meeting place, where photographers from all over the World meet and exchange views and expierences centred around the tools of the trade. I don't disciminate between "pros" and "amateurs" here. I find such a tool and craft (not art) oriented forum very helpful and inspiring, despite it is at times short an image examples to discuss.

But to be honest: If people do not post that many images here, then this has reasons, which I respect - and I also expect the respect for my own decision not to post images on the web in general. I personally never do that, because I want to keep control over the distribution of my images, which I can't if it was posted anywhere on the web (this is not aimed at this forum, but anybody can come here and add whatever he wants to his collection). If one of my clients pubishes images on the web, he can do so (provided he /she has paid for that right...)

There are sure other forums on the wast web, which concentrate more on discussing images. Good, and I like and value some of these. But this is a Pentax-Forum and I like and value that, because of its concentration on one major topic, which I find not covered anywhere else in comparable depth and with so many experienced Pentax-photogs around. You will also find, that many photographers starting out in their hobby or profession have found and will always find profound help and many answers to their questions here.

You will find other tools-forums on the web (from circle saws to electric drills...) and this is a tools and insider tricks forum - let's keep it going that way. There is always room for improvement and any positive suggestion and move will be most welcomed by most people here.

Ben
I see your point and well, Everything I wanted to say is already posted, so.
Thanks for welcome me, I will looking forward to continue speak in the forum.
Good post Ben!

Regards Emil
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #176
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Because I drive the boat
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Because I drive the boat
so you're proud of making a dumb thread?
01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the OP has hit on something here that people have not really addressed, but also has some errors.

First of all, to state the posts here are by collectors and equipment junkies (pixle peepers amd measurbaters perhaps) is in some ways correct, especially in the DSLR, SLR, and lens forums, although there are a LOT of good and useful threads there also,

BUT.........

Just look at the photo gallery, and the post your photo's forums. There are some truely great shots posted there by serious photographers. Many of these photographers are the same photographers that occasionally rant about deficiencies in the equipment.

What it shows, in this forum is that part of taking a great photo is also understanding the equipment, including all the shortcomings.

So while the tech forums have many critical comments about the equipment, this helps every one understand exactly how these cameras work, and in the process they actually make better photographers out of every one.
01-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #179
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so you're proud of making a dumb thread?
Did you make yourself proud of that post?

answer: no, im not. It was kidding and I hope you got it
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #180
Veteran Member

you are entirely correct!!

except the first pagraph, i dont think the OP hit anything at all, and missed the mark by a long shot, like trying to hammer in a nail but ending up clogging the toilet...

at the top of the screen it says "pentax forums.com; friendly pentax discussion community"

nowhere does it say "photography art discussion" or "photography techniques sharing and caring"

there is already an amazing site for that, its called http://www.deviantart.com/

he starts a thread in the "DSLR Discussion" and bags on us for discussing SLRs.... ????, not to mention hinting at the fact that we suck as photographers because of this.

you dont walk into a car dealership and start ripping on the secretary for not having a live band playing in the corner :ugh:

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the OP has hit on something here that people have not really addressed, but also has some errors.

First of all, to state the posts here are by collectors and equipment junkies (pixle peepers amd measurbaters perhaps) is in some ways correct, especially in the DSLR, SLR, and lens forums, although there are a LOT of good and useful threads there also,

BUT.........

Just look at the photo gallery, and the post your photo's forums. There are some truely great shots posted there by serious photographers. Many of these photographers are the same photographers that occasionally rant about deficiencies in the equipment.

What it shows, in this forum is that part of taking a great photo is also understanding the equipment, including all the shortcomings.

So while the tech forums have many critical comments about the equipment, this helps every one understand exactly how these cameras work, and in the process they actually make better photographers out of every one.
Closed Thread