Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hello all "True" pentax-entusiast!

Hello!
How I am new at the pentax forum I will present myself for you guys.

My name is Emil and I'm a swedish photographer-student.

In a few months i will invest in a new digital SLR, and how I am a little bit tired of the big 2 (Canon Nikon) I was looked for other options.
Pentax (comparing to the giant electronic brand Sony) is a camera-manufactor and this cameras is for people that like to take pictures.

Unfortanetly after reeding in the forum (have done it for half-year now without being member) I see the scary fact that much of you guys called yourself
pentax-photo-entusiast, are just no more than camera and lens collectors that does'nt care about the images and the art of photography.
Insteed complaining about why pentax don't have FF or a good live-view function.

Do you really think that this complaining and new camera bodies improves your photography. It will not!

Give a compact-camera to a good photographer and he will show you what i talk about.

We complain about that we want the pentax-cameras to focus faster and better, so now I say the same for you guys that think that photography
is about equipment and what camera you use.
Put your autofocus in learning photography insteed of complain
about equipment (and about that pentaxs cameras don't have what we costumers want)

Pentax is a photography-brand. For people that love to take photos.

So it's up to you.
1. Do you want to take better pictures?
2. Do you want an more expensive camera?

= Wrong!! it's not the same thing.

Spend your time you waste here by complain and wait, to learn to improve your photographic skills or be outdoor doing photos.

A huge respect for you people here in the forum that still fight for pentax as the photo-brand, thanks for really "stand out" in this forum.
You do a huge work and i'm proud for you.

To the rest: Fine! Go to Canon, Nikon or Sony if you like cameras and not photography, because in true pentax spirit....sorry, we don't have any room for you.

Question for you real Pentax people:

How do you and your SLR do?
You guys that use a little bit bigger camera, do you always take it with you(like a true classic travel mate )
or do you use maybe a smaller pentax compact that fits easier in your pocket?

Best Regards

Emil Gustafsson

01-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Some advice:
Graduate from school.
Get a job.
Start your real education.
Don't tell people who have been professional photographers for over 3 decades that they don't know what they need in a camera until you have some experience as a photographer.
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I agree that some people care more about the "quality of the piano" than the "music that comes from it", or in other words, people that believes the music comes from the piano and not the performer, this forum is about photography and the fact that we all share a common denominator, which in the case is Pentax.

Of course we are all about taking pictures, but the forum itself due to the fact that its the "hardware" that brings us together, then of course we will talk about the hardware and how we would like it to perform according to our needs or expectations.

Totaly agree with Wheatfield. Better get some experience which is not achieved by six months of peeking into this or other forums. I am talking about the expérience and maturity that many years on the field teach you.
01-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Some advice:
Graduate from school.
Get a job.
Don't tell people who have been professional photographers for over 3 decades that they don't know what they need in a camera until you have some experience as a photographer.

bingo.

QuoteQuote:
I see the scary fact that much of you guys called yourself
pentax-photo-entusiast, are just no more than camera and lens collectors that does'nt care about the images and the art of photography.
you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

sorry to say losecontrol but this was not a very intelligent way to present yourself to the forums. there are numerous pros here some of which have been using Pentax likely longer than you have been alive. and I noticed that you have been lurking here for more than a year (according to your own word) but have come to the conclusion that we are only here to whine about what pentax hasn't given us? you must not have explored this board outside of the 'Pentax News and Rumors' subforum.

and who are you to say who is and isn't a true "pentax-enthusiast"? you do not even own a pentax camera. you do not have the right to make those decisions for people, particularly since you know none of us. try lurking a canon and nikon forum and you will see very little is different among the complaining about current and new models. however you will see that there is a HUGE difference in the overall community, the sharing of photography and related knowledge.

01-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some advice:
Graduate from school.
Get a job.
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
While I agree that some people care more about the "quality of the piano" than the "music that comes from it", or in other words, people that believes the music comes from the piano and not the performer, this forum is about photography and the fact that we all share a common denominator, which in the case is Pentax.

Of course we are all about taking pictures, but the forum itself due to the fact that its the "hardware" that brings us together, then of course we will talk about the hardware and how we would like it to perform according to our needs or expectations.

Totaly agree with Wheatfield. Better get some experience which is not achieved by six months of peeking into this or other forums. I am talking about the expérience and maturity that many years on the field teach you.

Hello!

I didn't post my message to do people angry. I did it, because Pentax is a photo-brand and I would be happy to see some people that find more passion in their work and art, then in the electronics.

It's very true that I'm young without experience, but the fact that I hang out all days with proffesionall photographers that I know, and we share a lot of experience all the time. You might say I'm young but it does'nt mean I don't know about photography. I could say the opposite.

I listen over and over again that when you stop to mind all the time about the equipment, you can really start to get in focus of the photography.

My friends that are pro-photographers always tell me that you pass through 3steps.
1. You take photos at everything and you find cool effects very nice
2. You find out that the cool effects are way to easy to make. You need better
camera and stuffs for win the market.
3. You start to understand that everyone (that have money) can buy an expensive camera (that looks fantastic on the paper) and everyone can do big cool effects in photoshop for example.
=So what's the differece between a pro photographer and an amatur? Well the difference is that the pro, know his skills and he know how to use his tecnics, and this thing have he leart by studies, experience (and he was probebly born with a photographic eye as well)

So. Everyone can buy expensive camera-equipment and do fancy photos, but the real pros know that it is something more that do the differece. "The skills".

Answer to rburgoss:
It's the photography and the passion for do Photos that bring us together.
At least if you like to take photos.

I mean, I understand you two a bit. It's funny look new cameras. Anytime it can be important to have good camera-gear.
But! To look people critic pentax and be uppset for why they don't invest in FF ect ect. That's waste your time.

This time could be used to practice your skills insteed and you would be a so much better photographer.
Am i right or wrong in that?

Wheatfield....you are sure a very good photographer, but even you can learn something new. I think that you could benefit in practice your skills insteed of complain about why pentax don't have an FF. That's just my opinion.
And I don't want to critic anybody....

Best Regards my friends

Emil Gustafsson
01-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Unfortanetly after reeding in the forum (have done it for half-year now without being member) I see the scary fact that much of you guys called yourself
A huge respect for you people here in the forum that still fight for pentax as the photo-brand, thanks for really "stand out" in this forum.
You do a huge work and i'm proud for you.
So first you insult us as being nothing more than brand fanboy gear collectors.

And then you express huge respect for brand fanboys.

(A few of us actually do go out and take photos sometimes, you know.)

You like people who support Pentax by talking about them, and look down on people who support Pentax by buying their products.

Did I sum up your sentiments accurately? It would seem you are contradicting yourself.
01-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Hello!

My name is Emil and I'm a swedish photographer-student.
so you yourself have little to offer, yet you bag on us for not being more artsy for you?

ta good chunk of this forum is comprised of students and enthusiasts much like yourself, who can hardly lay claim to fame and what knowledge they do have of photography can easily be read in mass produced books and online articles that really, doesnt require a forum to read.

another large section of the user base is made up of people who are completly clueless about photography and come here to learn the technical aspects or do research to decide what to buy

as silly as you may think it sounds, understanding the engineering background of any camera or lens enlightens one as to the correlation of quality and design, learn enough and you can pretty much predict what kind of a lens will give you a specific results

i'm sorry if this may offend you, but equipment DOES matter, otherwise we would all be shooting with pinhole cameras, and event hen someone will find a way to make theirs better than yours.

and finally, a very small contingent of this forum is made up of true artists and or who have their own galleries, or make a living from it.

however, even among that group not everyone is actually good, so the number of people who bring brilliance to the table shrinks even more

then as snotty as it may sound, not everyone wants to share secrets that made them successful, not on an online public internet forum anyway.

you're rather naive to start a fuss over this, particularly as part of your introduction.

maybe you should make your own forum and invite only artsy-fartsy photography connoisseurs that think Andy Warhol is christ reincarnated...

01-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

ROFLMAO

The OP sure knows how to make friends and influence people with a first post.
01-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Some advice:
Graduate from school.
Get a job.
DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!!!

wow... Wheatfield has been on fire lately
01-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wheatfield doesnt take shit from nobody
01-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
So first you insult us as being nothing more than brand fanboy gear collectors.

And then you express huge respect for brand fanboys.

(A few of us actually do go out and take photos sometimes, you know.)

You like people who support Pentax by talking about them, and look down on people who support Pentax by buying their products.

Did I sum up your sentiments accurately? It would seem you are contradicting yourself.

I swear to jesus you always have the greatest responses.
01-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe, in a backhanded way, Emil has actually done us a favor. What he describes as whining is really our hopes for Pentax to improve in ways that meet the needs of its support base. The fact that an outsider views it as whining may be the way that Pentax corporate also sees it. Maybe we could start a new thread to which we could post our ideas for improving Pentax (cameras, support, sales, etc.) in a more (seemingly) professional manner. After all, Pentax users may have some useful insights to offer that could benefit us (users) and Pentax (producer). Just a thought.
01-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Maybe, in a backhanded way, Emil has actually done us a favor. What he describes as whining is really our hopes for Pentax to improve in ways that meet the needs of its support base. The fact that an outsider views it as whining may be the way that Pentax corporate also sees it. Maybe we could start a new thread to which we could post our ideas for improving Pentax (cameras, support, sales, etc.) in a more (seemingly) professional manner. After all, Pentax users may have some useful insights to offer that could benefit us (users) and Pentax (producer). Just a thought.

I believe that has already been done multiple times.
01-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello...

Camera brands are like families. That's why I wanted to sign up to the forum before buy a Pentax-camera. Answer to you all that start to critic me for not have a pentax camera insteed of wish me welcome to this bloody family.

I wanted to see how people think about photography and I was suprised to se how people was mind so much about the gear.
I was not born yestoday! I know that the gear does matter, but the fact that you photographic skills should have a little bit bigger priority in my opinion.

It's intressting that nobody have answer in the question that I was posted.

I said that much people waste much time complain about their equipment and this time could you use for practice your photographic skills insteed.
Do anyone belive this too?

At last, im sad to see that so much pro-photographers are being angry. Are you a pro-you probebly understand what i mean with "learn the skills" and I don't see no point why you think I was critic you.

I critic people that have 0% skills and think that only because you invest in a super-expensive camera (like Canon 1ds Mark III) they will be a soooo much better photographer. IT DOES'NT WORK THAT WAY....and well...do anyone think that, tell me.

But now I think that most of you guys have missunderstand my post, and I don't put me agains you as photographer or your photos. Just agains the "Ordenary Joe" that think that a good camera saves his carrier

Regards

Emil Gustafsson
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
because pentaxforums.com with its some odd 5000 user base is Pentax's secret backdoor marketing test group, right?
Closed Thread