Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am someone likely to get the white k2000 and LX3. In your view, can a LX3 justify the hold up for a Sigma 10-20? While it is not fair to compare an LX3 with k-m with a Sigma 10-20, but price wise, they are close about $400 each. I will take the LX3 for my wife and waive my buying right for the 10-20, what do you think.

But then in travel, I have a white k2000 with 21,35,77 limited trio along with my sweetie with a LX on Leica 24-60mm lens with 720p movie. A perfect combination in traveling light. What do you think?

Thanks,
Hin
I think the two of you were look pretty awesome!
Now is that the silver 77 on the white k2000? That'd make me look twice!

01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I think the two of you were look pretty awesome!
Now is that the silver 77 on the white k2000? That'd make me look twice!
Yes, how you know that my FA 77mm f/1.8 limited is in silver

My 31mm limited, Lady Queen, is also in sliver but I have sold it due to lack of funding.

Thanks,
Hin
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I am someone likely to get the white k2000 and LX3. In your view, can a LX3 justify the hold up for a Sigma 10-20?
Thanks,
Hin
Tough question to answer, as I love ultrawides (I use DA 12-24). So, for me, if I didn't have an ultrawide, I'd get that before the LX3. On the other hand, my wife doesn't take pictures, so that LX3 would just sit in my bag. I'm doing something similar to you in that I'm going for a 21/35/70 combo for my K-m (don't have the 21 yet), so I obviously see that as a good travel option. The LX3 would be a good purchase...IF you don't see yourself using the 10-20 A LOT (in other words, if it's just to round out your focal length range). For me, landscapes are numero uno. But the LX3 is very nice, DSLR-like in the options it offers. With that lens, it's like carrying around a fast DA 16-45, but without shallow depth of field when desired. This probably doesn't help much, sorry

Todd
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I recently got the K-m over the K200 as an upgrade to my K100. Despite not having weather seals it seemed a lot more functional and advanced. (easier access to changing WB etc) faster and ergonomically better for me.
The K-m does have a couple of small enhancements, but really, setting WB requires only one extra button on the K200D. The smaller size / lighter weight and the supposedly improved low light AF are really the main improvements.

QuoteQuote:
I was quite surprised as it is supposed to be positioned below the K200 in the Pentax lineup.
The K200D does have quite a few other advantages over the K-m (DOF preview, top LCD, orientation sensor, more AF points, selectable AF points, etc. Plus, of course, the weather sealing. The K200D is definitely the higher end camera in *most* ways.

01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy K2000 Owner

I've only had it for a day and a half, but so far, I'm lovin' it. I'm new to DSLR - used to own Minolta SLRs many years ago.

Have a lot to learn. But for me, the K2000 was the way to go because I love the smaller size - makes it much more travel friendly.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the 5-pt auto focus. I might end up changing it to one in the middle and will probably manual focus a lot. - We'll see - just getting a feel for it now.

I also got a 55-300 and DA 40mm. Love them too. I think I'm going to be very happy with Pentax! Yipee! So much fun!

Now, I have to go out and buy some skylight and/or UV filters to protect those new lenses.
01-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm really torn whether to get an LX3 or the K-m. I love them both!

If I get an LX3 I'd have an ultimate pocketable camera with video. And I'd be able to take photos in place where security guards would stop me.

If I get a K-m I'd have a really nice compact DSLR with my DA Ltds! That'd be sweet! I might not use my K20D much anymore though hahaha!

Sigh. I think I'll get the LX3 first.
01-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Copied from another discussion:

QuoteQuote:
BTW you said from before that you were thinking of adding a Nikon system, is that still the plan?
Yes, the plan is permanently on hold after I find myself beaten up with LBA in M42 and Zeiss glasses along with limited and DA* zoom. I tried every good lens people mention about so that I know a big part of the Pentax story. And I decided to stay focus on Pentax in 2009. It is the year NOT to run into Nikon. My 2nd body is the upcoming Pentax White Camera with my recently built Pentax limited trio in 21/35/77 limited lens series.

And if fund is allowed, I have my Panasonic LX3 for the movie to make up what is in Nikon D90 with 720p movie. So my travel and backup system go like this
  • HinTheMan: Pentax White Camera K2000 SE
  • +++++
  • Sweetie: Panasonic LX3 with Leica 24-60mm lens and 720p movie

And of course, the normal way is my K20D with all the combination of Pentax lens in FA, DA, limited, DA* zoom, M42, Zeiss and some odd balls.

And in occasion, I can use my Praktica MTL5 to indulge on M42 lens only in completely manual mode going back in time to take photos without the luxury of digital and post processing.

Last edited by hinman; 01-10-2009 at 12:12 AM.
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #38

Got a K2000 kit off the ebay, I am new pentax user from Canon camp. Almost instantly, felt disappointed at its performance while using 31mm FA and 77mm FA - these two lens are the only reason I decided to turn to pentax. Now k2000 and 77mm FA are sent to Pentax for service - severe front focus wide open. Hopefully, after turnaround, the performance will match my 20D and L glasses. Will report the result later.
01-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

So it's just front-focusing? I hope it gets fixed soon! How much did you get the K2000 kit?
01-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am planning for the white camera. And the storm trooper white camera has led me to abandon my Nikon D90 plan and Master Yoda has steered me away from Nikon Dark Forces. Please excuse the silly story behind my planning.

Am I ready? No! That really depends on the pricing and that what Prodigal2000 have in store for a bargain. I am serious about the white camera as a travel and backup system. I even venture to get new lens that tries to match its color scheme

Please give me that white camera for cheap. I can't wait.....

Hin
Hin,
So you like the K-M in white? I thought I was the only one. With matching white lenses, it is a really classy looking package. Yes, it will show dirt, oil, grime, and scratches and will probably yellow with age, but I still think it looks totally cool.

Steve
01-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #41

Both 31mm FA and 77mm FA show front focus at f/1.8. I shoot my kid most of the time indoor. The photos are virtually unusable because the focus point is nowhere, unless I intentionally back focus.

I get my k2000 flash kit for $350 off the ebay. Already sold the kit lens for $65. Now I am trying to sell the kit flash. Anybody interested?

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
So it's just front-focusing? I hope it gets fixed soon! How much did you get the K2000 kit?
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I am planning for the white camera. And the storm trooper white camera has led me to abandon my Nikon D90 plan and Master Yoda has steered me away from Nikon Dark Forces. Please excuse the silly story behind my planning.

Please give me that white camera for cheap. I can't wait.....

Hin
Storm Trooper not included!

03-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-m does have a couple of small enhancements, but really, setting WB requires only one extra button on the K200D. The smaller size / lighter weight and the supposedly improved low light AF are really the main improvements.

The K200D does have quite a few other advantages over the K-m (DOF preview, top LCD, orientation sensor, more AF points, selectable AF points, etc. Plus, of course, the weather sealing. The K200D is definitely the higher end camera in *most* ways.
Yes I know, but none of those features are really relevant to my shooting style, except the weather seals. So for me the K-m is better.