Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Yes I have a K-m K2000: very pleased

Yes. Am extremely happy. Workmates are tired of hearing about it

Switching between kits lens and a 1975 Pentax manual prime.

In-camera digital filters make the train ride home faster!

I discovered a remote from an Optio 430RS works on this camera too, even without flash.

Am also also learning about processing RAW files: Rawtherepee

http://flickr.com/photos/stefancarey/

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 01-08-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Add URL
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I love my new K2000

I just bought it before going to Tokyo for New Years and it was fantastic and convenient to carry around. These were shot with the kit lens. When I returned I had to buy the DA 40mm limited pancake, so I will be trying it out this weekend!
Attached Images

01-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I can't wait to get one, really. I'm waiting for local availability before buying it online. We usually get good prices here, thank god the local Pentax community is very supportive. I can't wait to pair it up with my DA Ltds!

I'm also really torn as to what to get next: an LX3 or the K-m or maybe save up for the 60-250 if it's optically awesome! Or maybe another 16-50 since I've been missing zooms in my outdoor trips lately! Sigh
01-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I went to Black's (in Toronto) to finally hold one. I've been bidding on them on eBay, so figured I should try it out in person first

I have a K20, up from a K100D. Love the K20 but miss the size of the K100, and I'm thinking the K-m it would be a great companion to the DA limiteds for an upcoming trip.

It's small but I found the grip comfortable and 1-handed operation could work. Weight-wise, you could put a DA prime on it and it would still be less than the K20 body (except for the 35--that'd be about the same, which is still good).

I was surprised that the kit lens didn't have quick shift--'surprised' meaning I just cranked it around and heard me some clicking. Luckily the girl at the shop didn't catch what I was doing...

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they used the K100D sensor too and knocked a few more bucks off, but that's not the way of the electronics world.

And as for the white one--they should've done silver like they've done in the past. But then I'd need a silver FA limited!

01-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
yep yep, K-m owner here (along with far more Pentax SLR's than I really need)
Well I'm willing to relieve you of extra photographic equipment, at no cost to you... I'm just that kind of guy...
Particularly that MX that talk of, it sure could use a nice resting place after such hard work, no?
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't know why so many hate on the white K2000/Km. Look at what engadget had to say

QuoteQuote:
Let's just say this straight out: the white Pentax K2000 is one of the hottest DSLRs we've ever seen. It's seriously lustworthy. Considering how great the reviews have been, we'd say it's definitely worthy of a spot on your list if you're in the market. Pentax's less-interesting P70 and E70 were also out -- they look nice enough, for being pretty ordinary. Check it all in the gallery!
Hands-on with Pentax's new lineup, including the white Pentax K2000 - Engadget
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote

I'm also really torn as to what to get next: an LX3 or the K-m or maybe save up for the 60-250 if it's optically awesome! Or maybe another 16-50 since I've been missing zooms in my outdoor trips lately! Sigh
LX3 is an amazing camera (I have the DLux4). Very good in low light, and excellent as a street and carry camera. I find 1600 usable, but I tend to do a fair amount of b&w and don't mind good looking noise. Plus it shoots HD video with sound. That said the files aren't up to the quality I get out of the K20d (nor would I expect them to be). I can't compare to the Km sensor.

01-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they used the K100D sensor too and knocked a few more bucks off, but that's not the way of the electronics world.
I know you already had one, but if that really is the case, why not buy a K100D off eBay. You could get one brand new for much cheaper than the K2000, and the K100D even has a top display. Heck, if you really want light weight, you could even go for a K110D--and it'd be that much cheaper.
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #24

Original Poster
i think the k2000 and k200d are almost the same price. in retrospect, i should have bought a k200d ... not that i regret buying a k2000 or anything, i love it, but i coulda used the weather-sealing and more auto-focus points that the k200d has...
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #25

Happy new K-m Owner

Picked up a new K-m from e-bay after the holidays. It's been cloudy and rainy ever since! So far I'm very pleased with it. With the 40mm pancake, the size and weight are just right for taking it along on hikes.
01-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brucestrange Quote
I know you already had one, but if that really is the case, why not buy a K100D off eBay. You could get one brand new for much cheaper than the K2000, and the K100D even has a top display. Heck, if you really want light weight, you could even go for a K110D--and it'd be that much cheaper.
True--seller's remorse, I guess. My only gripe with the K100 was the speed of everything. AF especially, even the screw drive motor, but maybe it's because I used NiMH rechargeables. The shutter was pretty loud too, but that wasn't really an issue (a friend of mine asked me to take pictures of him in a recording studio once and asked me if I could turn that sound off so I could take pics during recording--that was funny). I hear the K-m is fast.

Just sold it a month ago, so maybe I'd have to wait until the K300 or whatever comes out and get a real deal on the K100.

K110D is something I hadn't considered (the SR was a big selling feature for me) but I might not even miss it for travel. I'll browse the fleabay!
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
Well I'm willing to relieve you of extra photographic equipment, at no cost to you... I'm just that kind of guy...
Particularly that MX that talk of, it sure could use a nice resting place after such hard work, no?

its not ready to rest. it may have a few battle scars but its more than willing to keep going. maybe someday my friend, but not this one.

01-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I recently got the K-m over the K200 as an upgrade to my K100. Despite not having weather seals it seemed a lot more functional and advanced. (easier access to changing WB etc) faster and ergonomically better for me.

I was quite surprised as it is supposed to be positioned below the K200 in the Pentax lineup.
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Go for the K-m

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I can't wait to get one, really. I'm waiting for local availability before buying it online. We usually get good prices here, thank god the local Pentax community is very supportive. I can't wait to pair it up with my DA Ltds!

I owned the LX3 before the K-m. The LX3 is very nice...but still a small-sensor compact. I just couldn't stand to have good, expensive Pentax glass sitting around when taking photos. I recently spent a few days on a trip in Seattle, and had the K-m with DA 35 in my hooded sweatshirt pocket on every walk, no problem. With a DA 40/43 or 21 (my next purchase) it would be even more packable. And while I like the operating features of my K10D much more, whatever tweaks they've done with the same sensor in the K-m with regards to high ISO performance and overall image quality get me reaching for it even when I don't have to.
01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I owned the LX3 before the K-m. The LX3 is very nice...but still a small-sensor compact. I just couldn't stand to have good, expensive Pentax glass sitting around when taking photos. I recently spent a few days on a trip in Seattle, and had the K-m with DA 35 in my hooded sweatshirt pocket on every walk, no problem. With a DA 40/43 or 21 (my next purchase) it would be even more packable. And while I like the operating features of my K10D much more, whatever tweaks they've done with the same sensor in the K-m with regards to high ISO performance and overall image quality get me reaching for it even when I don't have to.
I am someone likely to get the white k2000 and LX3. In your view, can a LX3 justify the hold up for a Sigma 10-20? While it is not fair to compare an LX3 with k-m with a Sigma 10-20, but price wise, they are close about $400 each. I will take the LX3 for my wife and waive my buying right for the 10-20, what do you think.

But then in travel, I have a white k2000 with 21,35,77 limited trio along with my sweetie with a LX on Leica 24-60mm lens with 720p movie. A perfect combination in traveling light. What do you think?

Thanks,
Hin