Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Dead flash on my *is DS2

Is this a common problem on the DS2? The flash pops up just fine, but I can't get it to fire in any situation (flash up, manual discharge). I thought it might be because of the manual lenses I have been using, but it won't work with the kit lens either. Tried restoring to factory setting aswell, with no luck. Any suggestions?

My warranty expired last week

Last edited by quattro; 01-07-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quattro Quote
Is this a common problem on the DS2? The flash pops up just fine, but I can't get it to fire in any situation (flash up, manual discharge). I thought it might be because of the manual lenses I have been using, but it won't work with the kit lens either. Tried restoring to factory setting aswell, with no luck. Any suggestions?

My warranty expired last week
Assuming that all settings are correct...
First thing to check is the status pins/buttons( i think there was only one) under the flash (which indicate the camera that the flash has been raised). Some dust may be blocking them, or they may be stuck because of infrequent use.

Have you often used flash.
If you put the camera to your ear, can you hear a a tone with climbing pitch (charging) ?
In dark, when flash should fire, do you see a much more dimmer flash(trigger pulse)?

With flashes, main things that can fail are transistors (no charging sounds will be heard), transformer burnt (smell, burning sounds), capacitor damaged (jerky tone pitch). Others are less likely to happen (like dead xenon tube).
From usage it is most easy to damage the capacitor (extreme cold or moisture).
01-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
First thing to check is the status pins/buttons( i think there was only one) under the flash (which indicate the camera that the flash has been raised).
I agree that this is the first thing to check. I too couldn't get my flash to fire until I noticed that I was pushing it down with my cap ever so slightly. Cap removed, flash fired again.
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
About 7000 clicks on the camera, flash has probably been used ~30-50 times. Not often at all.

QuoteQuote:
status pins/buttons( i think there was only one) under the flash (which indicate the camera that the flash has been raised).
I checked this pin, and it functions properly, the camera knows the flash is up.

No high-pitched charging sound, so I assume something in the flash circuit has malfunctioned. Guess I'll have to live with it.

01-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quattro Quote
About 7000 clicks on the camera, flash has probably been used ~30-50 times. Not often at all.

I checked this pin, and it functions properly, the camera knows the flash is up.

No high-pitched charging sound, so I assume something in the flash circuit has malfunctioned. Guess I'll have to live with it.
I have to apologize for being misleading. Just checked my K100d, and it has no sound.. it was from my external flash.