Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with K20D please

I just got my replacement camera today ( last camera had issuse )

I pop on a lens an snap a picture and I get a completely underexposed photo. The LCD is black.
It is reading aperture and exposure in viewfinder okay.

I enablel aperture ring in custom function and use aperture ring on lens.
Now I can take a picture.

What is going on? Why won't it work when I have the lens set to "A" and use camera to enable aperture ring.

01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oren:
what lens are you using? And are you in green mode?
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried green mode, manual, AV. I have used 77 limited, Voigtlander, and Sigma 105. They all have aperture ring on lens and will work if I use it that way but when I set to " A" position it doesn't work.
Is there a setting I need to enable for the camera to set aperture.???
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a lot of help to you here mate, what first comes to mind is to check that the aperture ring is firmly locked into the "A" position.

01-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to be sure I understand all you are saying.

1) The camera does not shoot properly in auto-aperture mode
2) The camera does shoot when you manually adjust aperture mode

Is this correct?
01-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I want to be sure I understand all you are saying.

1) The camera does not shoot properly in auto-aperture mode
2) The camera does shoot when you manually adjust aperture mode

Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct.

When I have the lens set to "A" and camera in auto I get a black LCD. It shows I have a picture there and when I look at the histogram everything is pushed to the far left side.

When I set aperture on lens, say 2.8 and shoot manual I will get a photo. Of course I have to adjust for exposure like a non A lens but at least it works.

I can change the aperture with the dial according to screen on viewfinder but I don't think it is actually opening.
If I set for a long exposure and overexpose I will get something that way also.
01-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Send it back. The camera is faulty.

01-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeh, I can't see anything else to do. This will be the second time though.
I really don't think its Cametas fault where I purchased it from. I just have the worst luck sometimes.
Just call me " Grampa Murphy "..... Murphys law

What about sending it to Pentax for service. Can I rely on getting a good camera that way.
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Do they seem like reasonable values? If you set the exact same values in M mode using the aperture ring, is the exposure correct?

I'm not sure if the answer to that is important, as it sure seems like a camera defect, but I'm curious...
01-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #10

Two "long odds" thoughts.
1. Did you try wiping/cleaning the camera/lens contacts?
2. I'm very new to K20D but experienced with K100D - if you're using the Green Button to auto set the Shutter Speed to a given aperture - check out page 92 of manual - outside chance that you have setting 3 set when you probably want it set to setting 2 ie you want the Green button to use Tv shift when using lens in manual and other than A position on lens - but this does not sound like your problem.

Good luck with it. Ken.
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just got my replacement camera today ( last camera had issuse )

I pop on a lens an snap a picture and I get a completely underexposed photo. The LCD is black.

I enablel aperture ring in custom function and use aperture ring on lens.
Now I can take a picture.

What is going on? Why won't it work when I have the lens set to "A" and use camera to enable aperture ring.
This one sparked my interest, as I had the same problem about a month ago with my brand new K20D. Tried several different modes (green, P & Av), with & w/o flash, using a couple different memory cards & lenses, and all but one image was black. I took one shot of some rooflines with bright sun behind them, and with that image I could see that SOMETHING registered. (I could barely make out the peeks of the roofs at the very top of the image - so I knew it was capturing something.
I put in a card that had images taken with my K10D and they showed up perfectly on the monitor, so THAT wasn't the issue. After spending about 15 minutes with "Live Help" (or whatever it's called on the Pentax web site) they determined the only thing I could do was send it back to them.
I got a replacement camera about a week later, and it has worked fine. They never did say what was wrong with the first one.
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oren - What does the EV comp scale show on the display? Sounds like you have it dialed down. Hold the EV button down and hit the green button to return the EV comp to zero. This setting is held when power cycling the camera.

Jack
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc, not sure I understand the question. But I set so the EV bar in the viewfider will show proper value.

bbpa103, I did try wiping the contacts on the camera, that was one of my first thoughts.

UpNorth, it would be good to know what the cause is wouldn't it. I am going to call Pentax tomorrow and I am sure the outcome will be to send it back.

jbinpg, I actually tried dialing it up to see if I could get some light on the LCD. No go. If I take a picture set to max overexpose I can get a picture.

Thanks for all the help guys. This really is making me nuts.
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's a bummer Oren, if it were me I'd call Cameta and return it. I would think it would be faster than sending it to pentax. Pentax replaced my k10d when the flash fried it in dec. 06 and I dont think the replacement was put through any special tests or anything. Good luck with it.
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marc, not sure I understand the question. But I set so the EV bar in the viewfider will show proper value.

bbpa103, I did try wiping the contacts on the camera, that was one of my first thoughts.

UpNorth, it would be good to know what the cause is wouldn't it. I am going to call Pentax tomorrow and I am sure the outcome will be to send it back.

jbinpg, I actually tried dialing it up to see if I could get some light on the LCD. No go. If I take a picture set to max overexpose I can get a picture.

Thanks for all the help guys. This really is making me nuts.
End the frustration....send it back.