Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Séamuis!

I know what you mean but the sense of what the Canon owner said was that "since no Canon cameras of reasonable pricing has wireless flash no inexpensive Pentax ones can have either". I mean I won't expect too much subtlety from a person that gave up Pentax long a go and comes here from time to time to expain in some very polite terms that our system is junk.

Regards,
Radu
I really cannot argue that, but if that person also is a reasonable and polite forum member they are more than welcome. (we know the truth of the matter) and can enjoy the options that Pentax apparently cannot afford to implement.

01-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #47
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I really cannot argue that, but if that person also is a reasonable and polite forum member they are more than welcome. (we know the truth of the matter) and can enjoy the options that Pentax apparently cannot afford to implement.
So my K-m addition was for educational purpose I thought it's a honest mistake for a user of another system!

Radu
01-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
The silver outline and the lack of a top LCD, mostly.
I don't mind the chrome strip. its actually a bit of an homage as a lot of Pentax film SLRs had a chrome strip similar. it just wasn't as noticeable with the satin chrome bodies. and it actually looks rather good with Takumars. as for the top LCD... well that was a loose loose situation IMO. all the other brands entry levels do not have a top LCD and people rode the K200D (the entry model then) for having one because it added to the cost (which despite what it offerd for that cost was a killing point of the K200D) people just said it was too expensive for an entry level and believe it or not too well equipped. it just didnt seem to fit in and competed too much with the K10/20D. (absurdedy if you ask me) but thats what was said. I never really use the top LCD on my K110D so forgoing one on the K-m to make it smaller and lighter is something im happy about. really the only feature on the K-m I dont care for is the help (?) button. but knowing who it is tageted for it makes perfect sense. that and the scene modes because I use manual lenses.
01-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Meh, the KM really reminds me of the Digital Rebel XT, which is a camera that I liked, but was too small for me. The larger grip and the top LCD are what are making the *ist DS so appealing to me. Honestly, it's Pentax' best DSLR before the K10D, look at the archive I posted earlier.

01-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #50
Banned

Meh, the KM really reminds me of the Digital Rebel XT, which is a camera that I liked, but was too small for me. The larger grip and the top LCD are what are making the *ist DS so appealing to me. Honestly, it's Pentax' best DSLR before the K10D, look at the archive I posted earlier.
perfectly understandable, but I contest your thoughts on the DS. the D was by far the best until the K10D. in fact it sported features the K10D didn't. plus it was smaller and lighter than the K10D (something most people don't realize) and having battery grip option as well makes it even better. all the D lacked in my opinion (not counting the the sony CCD) was SD card support (I never cared for CF) and the aperture coupling lever for manual lens metering. but that had been dropped even in the last film cameras. I think before the introduction of the K20D the istD was still the top camera in most respects, and im not the only person who feels that way.
01-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I wasn't including the *ist D because of it's age. It would be like comparing it to the Canon 10D.
01-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #52
Banned

Well, I wasn't including the *ist D because of it's age. It would be like comparing it to the Canon 10D.

the DS is only one year younger than the D (2003 vs 2004) and they both ended production in 2006. and when saying the best until the K10D is a bit unfair if you don't include the D because its the only digital SLR Pentax made before the K10D that can actually compete withe the K10D in most respects. or maybe im just misunderstanding your point?

01-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, either that or the fact that I'm really tired.

I just meant that I wasn't considering the *ist D.
01-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #54
Banned

Yeah, either that or the fact that I'm really tired.

I just meant that I wasn't considering the *ist D.
its all up to you. so again, fair enough.
01-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #55

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't think about the *ist D - if you can find one that really might be the best deal - better controls and still the good viewfinder... and basically the same sensor as DS ... that is if you really want something old ... the K10Ds are really getting cheap now
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
I didn't think about the *ist D - if you can find one that really might be the best deal - better controls and still the good viewfinder... and basically the same sensor as DS ... that is if you really want something old ... the K10Ds are really getting cheap now
same sensor as all the pentax digital SLR's until the K10D. the istD is still so coveted, that they demand quite a price. usually very high. there were a couple (still may be) selling in the marketplace here. they normally go for 300-350 USD here, about 500-600 USD elswhere for a fullt kit. which puts it right in the same price range as used K10D's. seeing as how they are almost spot on price wise for anyone that considers the istD, they might wantto consider a K10D instead. unless you just want the smaller and lighter body of the istD. that's really where the two cameras differ most (not counting the obvious sensor) is size and weight. (I think mostly because of the SR, SDM and weather sealing)
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a *ist D in the marketplace now for $215 shipped.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/46126-pentax-is...f18-200mm.html

What are you waiting for?

K10D's are starting to go for $350 (body only).
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because I don't want an *ist D.
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #59
Banned

Because I don't want an *ist D.
really!?
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hah, sorry but the broken record of replies of what else I should get was just starting to get irritating.

Of course KEH has both the DL and the DS for under $200, so now I just have to hope they're still both there for me to decide when I get enough money to afford one of them.