Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hate to bring it up again

But I still can't decide.

I'm switching from Canon to Pentax, and want to focus on the lens more than the body this time, because I got stuck with an expensive Canon body that I couldn't afford a matching lens for. I want to get the 16-45 or the 10-17 fisheye for my lenses, but that's not what I'm wondering about here.

I can't decide between the DS and the DL.

I don't want to spend money on a K10D until I'm ready to move up for it, since I wouldn't be able to afford the lenses with it if I ended up getting it, so I've been looking at these two. The SR of the K100D isn't worth it to me, and I don't really like that camera, especially since other than the occasional great deal, it's still a bit overpriced. The main reason is that I like the shape of these two little cameras more, however, to be honest.

The problem I have is that the 2 inch LCD of the DS doesn't seem like it would be enough for me, but the DL uses a pentamirror instead of a prism. Is the viewfinder really that big of a deciding factor when it comes to other things like the LCD size? I'm pretty sure those are the only main differences.

Also, I'd look for the DS2 since I'd get all the features I want, but I NEVER can find one.

01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
sf,
After reading all your posts here ("I'm proficient technically, check out my flicker site", "$250 is way too much for the DS"), and checking out you flicker site, I recommend staying with the canon system. You already know the system, and I doubt you are going to be happy with Pentax cameras.
Sincerely,
Tony
01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, not the response I was hoping for. Actually, I'm already decided that I'm going to switch to Pentax, regardless of your opinions. Do you have an actual answer for my question?

(sorry, I didn't mean for any of that to sound rude)
01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

How about the Samsung GX-1S (DS2 clone)? I will have one for sale in a week or two.

01-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, not sure if I can justify that in a way. For some reason, the Pentax logo is just more attractive to me.
01-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #6

I would definitely go with DS.

- Pentaprism IS a big deal. The DS viewfinder is the best among all the crop cameras (also used in K10, K20)
- More AF sensors (11 compared to 3)
- Much more memory (I think DS does 6-8 RAW images, compared to 2-3 for DL)

Pentax DS is STILL the best camera under $400

Most of all the DS is such a joy to use. Operations are so simple and intuitive that you would only think about the subject and composition, not the camera.
01-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is the LCD a problem on the DS? I've noticed that Canon's old 1.8 inch LCD was always far too small, so I really want the 2.5, but is the 2 inch one that big of a difference?
01-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
But I still can't decide.

I'm switching from Canon to Pentax, and want to focus on the lens more than the body this time, because I got stuck with an expensive Canon body that I couldn't afford a matching lens for. I want to get the 16-45 or the 10-17 fisheye for my lenses, but that's not what I'm wondering about here.

I can't decide between the DS and the DL.

I don't want to spend money on a K10D until I'm ready to move up for it, since I wouldn't be able to afford the lenses with it if I ended up getting it, so I've been looking at these two. The SR of the K100D isn't worth it to me, and I don't really like that camera, especially since other than the occasional great deal, it's still a bit overpriced. The main reason is that I like the shape of these two little cameras more, however, to be honest.

The problem I have is that the 2 inch LCD of the DS doesn't seem like it would be enough for me, but the DL uses a pentamirror instead of a prism. Is the viewfinder really that big of a deciding factor when it comes to other things like the LCD size? I'm pretty sure those are the only main differences.

Also, I'd look for the DS2 since I'd get all the features I want, but I NEVER can find one.
I have had a DS & a DL, in fact the DS is safely packed away now in its original box. The DS is a better camera as far as features go, both use the same sensor and yes, the DL screen is a little bigger.

Now, having said that, I really don't understand why you would want to buy into old technology when the K200D is available, new, for not a lot more $$$.

And if you are buying secondhand, you are taking a risk as these cameras are now getting on in years. The DL has had some issues with sudden unexplained death and the DS is known to have issues with its rear wheel and flash as time goes by.

I also own a K200D and it is a very, very good camera with so many more features over both the DS & DL that it is a no contest as to which is the better camera.

Save a few more $$$ and do yourself a huge favour...get the K200d.

Cheers.

01-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, I'm decided on the DS or DL. I've been wanting one of these for a while, and the K100 and K200D just don't fit right on me. The grips are too small and I just don't like the feel of either of them.
01-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for K10 now, they have great price, and buying K1xx or *istDx just because you think you're not ready is just wasting on money. There isn't anything to be ready for with K10D the difference is that it lets you do far more...
BR
01-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know that, but I don't want to spend the money on it that I could spend on the lenses I want. I also want a camera body that I wouldn't be too afraid to beat up a little bit.
01-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

you're gonna miss SR if you go with *istDx camera.
i know i would never buy camera without SR, it is very useful in low-light environments.
01-08-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

At least you will have wireless flash now ha ha ha silly canon.
01-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
At least you will have wireless flash now ha ha ha silly canon.
The Ds/DL had wireless flash? Damn! I must have missed it when I had one...
01-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, since you seem to have entirely settled for either the Ds or DL, with no possibility of considering more up-to-date cameras, I'd go for the Ds for sure. The LCD is marginally smaller, but seriously, other than a quick check at histograms, what do you really need the LCD for while taking pics? You get far more camera for a similar price.