Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2007, 04:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
We had this before, and two things have been suggested:

Either some radiofrequency interference nearby, cellphone etc...
or
An error with the memory card. Clean the contacts, try another card ..
I was going to suggest some sort of electromagnetic interference as well. This is a 100% crop of a scene I took off a hotel balcony, i.e. taken outside. I never saw it anywhere else with the same card/camera/lens combination.

03-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
We had this before, and two things have been suggested:

Either some radiofrequency interference nearby, cellphone etc...
or
An error with the memory card. Clean the contacts, try another card ..
Have to agree, if it's not the screen it's RF or a bad card read.
03-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #18
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
Good thought, but no, I didn't !
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
you mentioned kitchen window...did you shoot through a screen?

might just be the window getting in the way
03-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #19
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
Firmware is 1.10. No postprocessing other than Adobe Camera Raw conversion to JPG. The JPG image from the camera (I shot RAW+) also has banding.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
OKay this is either the Banding issue or the Vertical pattern noise, you haven't mentioned which firmware version you are using, so i am purely assuming that you may be running version 1.0, if so upgrade to either 1.1 or 1.11 depending on whether or not you want access to the Debug menu or not. You also don't mention which program you used to post process, so i am going to make another assumption based on the .PEF note that you are either using the Pentax software or ACR in either Photoshop, elements or Light Room, and by that i might suggest that you try a different converter if you access to one.

Hopefully this helps, it is annoying when issues like this pop up, i had something similar with my DS before they released 2.0 that made me lose a $500 job, quiet a kick in the guts for a student.

03-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #20
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I didn't shoot through the screen, and the window was open, so the window pane was out of the way.

I'll try the setup again and shoot from different positions to see if it is radiointerference. There is a lot of "stuff" in the kitchen, even a fax machine.

I'll also try different memory cards.

And finally also RAW+ versus JPG.

That should cover the parameters, I think.
03-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Firmware is 1.10. No postprocessing other than Adobe Camera Raw conversion to JPG. The JPG image from the camera (I shot RAW+) also has banding.
At first i was thinking that it may have been either a processing error in camera in the ilk of the VPN and Banding, or a de-mosaic in the RAW conversion, but it does appear now to be an interference error.
04-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #22
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
I wrote to Pentax USA about this issue. They asked me to upgrade the firmware to 1.11, and report back if I still get these lines.

After the upgrade I have not been able to reproduce the lines even with the same set-up, same camera settings and same object. That's good news!
04-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I wrote to Pentax USA about this issue. They asked me to upgrade the firmware to 1.11, and report back if I still get these lines.

After the upgrade I have not been able to reproduce the lines even with the same set-up, same camera settings and same object. That's good news!
Good to hear

04-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #24
PDL
Pentaxian

I remember some other people who saw horizontal banding (sorry can't find the posts) and there were three avenues they all looked down.
1. the grip causing horizontal interference (but it was really subtle and fine)
2. post processing sofware - for some reason it was not working correct with K10D RAW
3. Low battery power - I am not impressed with the battery meter in either my *ist Ds nor my K10D.

There was someone on dpreview that had this pattern with humming birds - maybe it only occurs when you shoot birds? ----- Bad Karma? Revenge of the Dinosaurs?

PDL
04-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I remember some other people who saw horizontal banding (sorry can't find the posts) and there were three avenues they all looked down.
1. the grip causing horizontal interference (but it was really subtle and fine)
2. post processing sofware - for some reason it was not working correct with K10D RAW
3. Low battery power - I am not impressed with the battery meter in either my *ist Ds nor my K10D.

There was someone on dpreview that had this pattern with humming birds - maybe it only occurs when you shoot birds? ----- Bad Karma? Revenge of the Dinosaurs?

PDL
That was me. I pretty much eliminated all other sources and was able to repeat the error multiple times after my initial post. I was still hoping that it had to do with low battery power, but the lines happened again with a fresh battery.
My camera now is on it's way to Pentax service.
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #26
Forum Member

Maybe someone said this, but go outside and shoot. Window glass isn't filter quality maybe there is something a Moire' pattern going on.
07-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #27
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
Thanks Pentax

To bring this thread to a happy end I can tell you that Pentax under warranty fixed the banding/pattern issue and my K10D is like new again (even counting the images from #0001). They wrote that they replaced "printed circuit boards and/or image sensor".