Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Crises of Confidence - switching

I spent the weekend preparing to sell my three Nikon bodies (D5500, N80 & D40) and a few Nikkor lenses and picking up a KP and a Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 as my new main camera rig for shooting architecture. I had the trade in all set, financing done for the rest. And then I started comparing my D5500 to the KP, the K3 ii and a K1. No matter how much I spent on a KP or a K3 I couldnít really improve upon any of the features of my Nikon gear unless I switched to full frame and tossed out everything but my antiques. I thought for sure there would be a big difference from my 2015 Ďenthusiastí camera and some more up-to-date gear. I guess my Nikon is wasnít that bad, or I just donít read camera manufacturers websites. Itís been a while since Iíd shopped for a camera I guess.

So I feel kinda stuck. I love Pentaxís philosophy & you guys are great, but I need to figure this out.

Features Iím after:

More megapixels?
Multiple, custom user modes (indoors, outdoors, noon, sunset)
Weatherproofing
Wide angle everything
Manual focus
Old lenses
Dual SD slots
Optional battery grip
WiFi
Bluetooth
GPS (for no apparent reason)
Screen articulation of some sort
IR remote

Features I donít care about:

Touchscreen?
Shooting things that move particularly fast
Flash
Macro
Small & light
Particularly fast shutter
Telephoto anything
Super fancy AF metering

Thoughts, criticisms suggestions?

11-28-2023, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're better off getting a Nikon Z5 and Nikkor 14-30 f4
11-28-2023, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oly_850 Quote
I spent the weekend preparing to sell my three Nikon bodies (D5500, N80 & D40) and a few Nikkor lenses and picking up a KP and a Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 as my new main camera rig for shooting architecture. I had the trade in all set, financing done for the rest. And then I started comparing my D5500 to the KP, the K3 ii and a K1. No matter how much I spent on a KP or a K3 I couldnít really improve upon any of the features of my Nikon gear unless I switched to full frame and tossed out everything but my antiques. I thought for sure there would be a big difference from my 2015 Ďenthusiastí camera and some more up-to-date gear. I guess my Nikon is wasnít that bad, or I just donít read camera manufacturers websites. Itís been a while since Iíd shopped for a camera I guess.

So I feel kinda stuck. I love Pentaxís philosophy & you guys are great, but I need to figure this out.

Features Iím after:

More megapixels?
Weatherproofing
Wide angle everything
Manual focus
Old lenses
Dual SD slots
Optional battery grip
WiFi
Bluetooth
IR remote

Features I donít care about:

Touchscreen?
Shooting things that move particularly fast
Flash
Macro
Small & light
Particularly fast shutter
Telephoto anything
Super fancy AF metering

Thoughts, criticisms suggestions?
There are numerous cameras across multiple brands that seem to fit most (if not all) of your criteria.

If you like old lenses, mirrorless has you set. Pretty much all the (D)SLR lenses are cross-compatible with mirrorless bodies, via adapter.

If you don't require advanced AF functionality or video, there hasn't been too much movement in recent years in camera performance, except in edge cases.
11-28-2023, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It takes full frame to get the best out of antique lenses.
But are your old lenses Pentax compatible?
Oh and with an old lens a water resistant camera is no longer WR.
And this all revolves around just how important old lenses are to your interests.
For me my photography is old lenses.

11-28-2023, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP and K-1 cameras are only one to two years newer than your Nikon D5500. The newest Pentax DSLR is the K-3III. The choice of a camera depends more on your needs and intended usage more than anything else. You already have a capable camera. Take some more time to determine if it falls short in meeting your needs. To get a significant increase megapixels, you would have to go full frame with Pentax.
11-28-2023, 09:12 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I was thinking Nikon Z5/FC with the Z 14-24 f/2.8, if you can handle the weight and have the funds. The Z 14-30 f/4 should be much lighter and has similar optical qualities, but avoid the Z12-28mm. The 26mm f/2.8 pancake seems to be a fun lens for DX format, it has disappointing performance on FX though.
11-28-2023, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you feel the need for more megapickles, you could get the 40MP Fuji X-T5 + XF 10-24/4 for around $2500.

11-28-2023, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Features Iím after:

More megapixels?
Weatherproofing
Wide angle everything
Manual focus
Old lenses
Dual SD slots
Optional battery grip
WiFi
Bluetooth
IR remote
K-1/K-1ii do most of this but you wonít easily be able to use Nikon lenses (there are tricks and workarounds but direct adapters arenít available without a teleconverter built in.

Nikon d810?
Many mirrorless options.

If you have screw drive Nikon f mount lenses the new monster adapter on a Sony e mount body gives a lot of functionality that you canít get otherwise.

FF tend to make wide angle lens selection easier.
11-29-2023, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikon 10-20 f/4-5.6 isn’t wide enough for you? C’mon! The answer to most shooting difficulties is glass, not megapixels if you’re not looking for fast action gear. And you won’t find those “modes” on the high-spec, full-frame cameras, you’ll have to set up User modes yourself. Really, why are 24mp not enough? Are you hoping to print 4 feet wide? If not, that’s a lot of cash to splash for the sake of bragging points and dual card slots.

A rethink is needed, imo.
11-29-2023, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More megapixels?
How large do you print ?

The reason I ask is that the larger you print, at say 300ppi, the more that a higher MP camera can offer you without having to re-sample the image. Although I do believe that advances in PP software like super-resolution has superseded the need for more MP.

For screen viewing, I never post an image online at more than 3.1 MP. Even the latest 4k screens only display around 8 MP maximum.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-29-2023 at 01:41 AM.
11-29-2023, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

To keep it short: you should not change anything, because you are so satisfied with your D5500. Any acquisition will only lead to disappointment, especially as you do not describe why you got tired of your Nikon.
I love Pentaxís philosophy
Well that does not make your pictures any better or more outstanding.
11-29-2023, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think your needs are terribly demanding. There are lots of cameras (including some from Pentax) that offer the sorts of things that you are looking for. I would think that a K-1 would fit the bill nicely. A KP probably would do so as well. There are quite a few mirrorless cameras that would offer the same features.

There are loads of manual focus K mount lenses out there for reasonable prices. They can mount without adapter on K mount bodies, but of course, there are adapters to use with most of the MILCs out there too.

Sorry that I can't give you more guidance. I'm pretty happy with my Pentax gear and shoot a lot of wide angle stuff, but I probably would have similar results if I invested in Nikon or Canon cameras too.
11-29-2023, 03:47 AM - 7 Likes   #13

It's not about the camera.

It's never about the camera.

Though the influencers work very hard to have us believe otherwise.
11-29-2023, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on your list of things you value and don't, I'd say:
- if you love Pentax's philosophy, get a K1 (mk I or II)
- If you need a tilt-shift lens (you didn't mention if your architecture includes only interior shots or also exterior of buildings), stay with Nikon (switch to FF if you need more pxls)
- If you prefer using old lenses, you can't go wrong with either
- If you just hate fast autofocus, get any other Pentax DSLR than K3 mk III (any model of those)
- Also, if you hate computers that also take photos, keep far away from mirrorless stuff
- If you love big and heavy stuff, get Pentax medium format (D or Z is your choice) and adapt a 6x7 lens to it.
- If you're wise, shoot with what you have until thatīs just not good enough for you or it stops working (though I really would like you to be a Pentaxian).

PS. Some of those in the list are real suggestions and others just jokes, so please, PLEASE, don't send hate messages or start loooong discussions about Pentax vs. real cameras.
11-29-2023, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
This & the camera menus will be very similar to what you already know.