Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
They are on the right road imo

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
You're thoughts are what Pentax had in mind in the design of all their cameras. It's also the best reason to go to a shop and put the camera in your hands before buying. You can have the best camera in the world but if it doesn't "feel" right in your hands you'll never be satisfied with it.

I agree with you, best to try a camera out (after reading some reviews)... If Pentax continues refinements and another body, and adds some advertising this will make a good recipe overall for success.

On a different note (totally unrelated):

Sad sad day for me on Sunday. The first time ever I dropped a camera, ever. I was on a relatively steep 7 mile hike, descending down a small hill with my DLSR behind my sternum strap (I needed my hands and sometimes carry my DSLRS this way)... when suddenly the clasp failed and I saw my beautiful K20 and 55-300 lens go into the dirt and bounce down the hill a ways down.

I couldn't believe it, in all the years of photography this has never happened to me. I don't use a standard neck strap all the time, I prefer a wrist strap and/or usually have my camera in my bag until the time is needed to shoot. The pack I have is a bit older and for whatever reason the buckle just failed....

I felt an incredible sense of idiocy wash over me, but that quickly passed as I rushed down to pick up my K20 from the dirt. It was a surreal moment for me as I quickly dusted everything off (I bring a pack towel with me always, which hadn't been used for anything yet).

Good news however, the only part that was damaged was the lens hood, barring a couple of cosmetic scratches here and there (none should harm it overall value), and everything works just great. A test that it passed with flying colors although one I would most definitely take back if I could. I ran the camera/lens through all operations and everything works just fine. I knew it would be protected from dust internally, and at this point I was concerned about the lens. Just scratches on the lens hood despite the fact that it took all the weight on the fall.

I narrowly escaped disaster there, and thank goodness the trail I was on was softer from the rains of late, otherwise I would have continued down the steep hill and I would be less one K20D. Needless to say, a safety strap will be affixed to my DSLR from now on as well as replacing my defaulty pack (bummed about that too).

Carl