Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d, I've made my decision

The K20d has officially earned a special place with me. There, you need not read more, go to the next thread if you'd like.... or read on and hear my mindless emotional response to a wonderful camera/camera company.

I'd consider myself a photographer who is obsessed with photography yet, when I'm not taking pictures with my equipment, I am obsessing over that instead.

Why? Heck, who knows why, I just do. We just do. And I find men photographers do it more than women photographers do. I guess for whatever reason we are gear fanatics, and considering the colorful categories of fanatics out there, I guess being a Photography gear fanatic is the lesser of just about all evils.

As some already know here, I use another system for a majority of my photography and I bought the K20D for a specific niche of needs. Since it was delivered, I haven't even shot with my other gear... yet. I just love this camera. No, it isn't perfect, but we all know any camera isn't so, lets not talk imperfections cuz to me that isn't nearly as much fun.

I am a positive, glass half full kind of guy. So be wary. I usually know what I want and then buy it, and if it performs a specific function I need it too, then that is good enough for me. If a particular product (camera) functions better than I expect it too, then that is some real icing on the cake. The K20D has lots of icing.

The K20D is a camera I just can't put down. Why? Well first of all I can't get over the darned build quality of it first of all. I love how I can squeeze the grip about as hard as I can and I feel no give. To me a grip says a lot about a camera and what to expect from quality. Maybe I should give it time to work in a bit, but my mind says this camera is built up and can take years of real abuse. Tell me I am wrong. But it is more than the build, it is all the thoughtful little design implementations that consistently make me smile. And I do smile often, despite the major differences the K20D has compared to the other brand I use. Good design is just good design. But..

Hold on, wait a second.. UPS is delivering my O-ME53 right now... hang on a minute... brb.

Ok I'm back and I've put it on. Hey, it's nice! Not a lot more magnification overall but plenty enough for me and the view is definitely bigger. It also keeps my nose away from my LCD, which I can appreciate. A high quality upgrade, and something I have been wanting for my other equipment for quite some time (er hem!). The LCD by the way, now has a TrueView LCD screen cover on it (by Lexerd) which is very easy to install. Great customer service and product fyi. I'd recommend them, and the cover.

But back to the camera.

The older I get the more I appreciate purchasing and using something that is built well and designed intelligently. And while the K20 can stand some design improvements and tweaks, it is clearly a camera designed by those who know what a pro photographer likes, and one designed so that a novice can grow into it. Not every DSLR is designed that way, not nearly enough.

The image quality is a blessing, Samsung have done a great job on this 14.6mp CMOS sensor. The extra resolution will be just enough punch to the sharpness for my very large prints I have been looking for.

And while the K20 has impressed me so, so equally have the lenses I've used so far. I can't decide which I like more because they all behave so nicely. The 55-300 stands out because in the world of other DSLR's the typical focal length is 70-300, clearly an older design from the film days, and I've always wanted a lens with a little extra wide angle in this class that can produce very good to excellent optical quality. It simply delivers.

All in all, my gripes are few and I am only one opinion in the bunch so keep this in mind (for those reading this for advice). But I can honestly say that if Pentax keeps up the momentum they have they will continue to carve out a special place with photographers. I for one am impressed, and hooked. Whether it be the K20D or ... a newer model (assuming the design philosophy is preserved), will be using Pentax for years and years to come along side my other gear.

Big grin,

Carl

Edited "fantastics" to "fanatics" gotta love auto spell checker when you've had a glass of wine!

Last edited by Rush2112; 01-09-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Too hillarious to leave up.
01-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Carl,

Glad to see a balanced viewpoint. The K20D is definitely a great camera. I used it alongside a K10D and a Canon 40D during my last wildlife photo competition. Let's just say the dust/sand was prevalent during the ongoing 7 month drought in the Rio Grande Valley. I never had any fears about the Pentax bodies... the Canon, well... a little nervous, considering it was not sealed...

BTW, the older pro film glass (FA*) is nothing short of exceptional, even on the K20D. This applies to many other lenses produced in the past too. The Pentax lineage of fine optics continues into most of their current offerings, and I suspect you'll continue to grow into and enjoy the system more and more. It's a great landscape/travel photography setup.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-08-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Carl, glad to read your thoughts. They echo many of mine, even as I was cheating on the K20d at the camera store this evening playing with an a900 (again). You bring up a number of points that many of the naysayers either don't get or don't care about. First and foremost is usability. Spec sheets be damned - if you're fighting the camera you're going to eventually lose something. Pentax imho has the best UI (physical button placement, menus, etc) of any of them. It isn't perfect, but they got a lot right.

The other is the intangibles like feel. It is the same reason I like the ltd lenses (especially the FA ltds). They just feel right in my hands. I'm going to try the eyepiece as well, as I picked up the Voigt 58/1.4 which is MF so I actually have to pay attention now. And actually it was that lens that prompted me to go back to the store and handle the a900 with 28-70/2.8 Zeiss glass. The Voigt just has a wonderful look and contrast to it. The prospect of using a Zeiss AF is tempting, though it frankly wouldn't replace the K20d. That body with a ltd prime is just too good wrt iq and usability and portability. The a900 with the Zeiss zoom is...umm...portly. Still not bad, but svelte doesn't come to mind. And sometimes svelte is a really good thing.
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very glad you like your equipment Carl, and also glad you stopped into our little community here. Sounds like you'll be a welcome member for years to come.

(But try a Takumar. Just once. Then the hooks will be in for good.)

01-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Carl:

It is refreshing to read your feel for the K20. I think you are right-on in your assessments and I look forward to reading more from you here at our Pentax community. It sure is great to get like-minded people together for the purpose of sharing and expanding.

Best Regards,

Ernest
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Carl. The K20 is a great camera & would surprise many that have never used one...continue spreading the word.
01-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for letting me be giddy all of you.

You guys are a great community here, really completely impressive.

Carl

01-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Carl,

Glad to see a balanced viewpoint. The K20D is definitely a great camera. I used it alongside a K10D and a Canon 40D during my last wildlife photo competition. Let's just say the dust/sand was prevalent during the ongoing 7 month drought in the Rio Grande Valley. I never had any fears about the Pentax bodies... the Canon, well... a little nervous, considering it was not sealed...

BTW, the older pro film glass (FA*) is nothing short of exceptional, even on the K20D. This applies to many other lenses produced in the past too. The Pentax lineage of fine optics continues into most of their current offerings, and I suspect you'll continue to grow into and enjoy the system more and more. It's a great landscape/travel photography setup.

Regards,
Marc
I will check out the FA* glass, agree on the optics, highly respected. And basically I bought it for deep weather prone hikes/landscape photography and wanted a bit more versatile lightweight prime choices as well as some sealed lenses. Sounds like we agree on it's best use .

Carl
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I love how I can squeeze the grip about as hard as I can and I feel no give.
The K20D is the only DSLR I have ever used (and I love it too), so perhaps I'm naive -- but are there really other DSLRs that DO flex when squeezed? Yikes!

01-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes in a way

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
The K20D is the only DSLR I have ever used (and I love it too), so perhaps I'm naive -- but are there really other DSLRs that DO flex when squeezed? Yikes!

Creaking, flexing, yes. It is minute but it does happen with some models on the market. In competition there is always cost cutting involved to keep the price down, and while that will probably sell more units- it won't leave a positive impression on a photographer who really values a well built product.

Thankfully, the Pentax I have is a bit more expensive than the competition for the feature set (at its outset, priced now, the K20 is a steal).

Cheers,

Carl
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Carl, glad you're happy with your purchase. I think you will be amazed with your purchase once you've had a chance to work with it and some of the very special Pentax glass that has been made over the years. Dave
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well said, Carl, and I feel exactly the same way. I've really enjoyed my K20D ever since I first picked it up. I love using it, and it rarely if ever has disappointed me (I'm the limiting factor, not the camera system).

Thanks for the positive post!
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great line in (...)

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well said, Carl, and I feel exactly the same way. I've really enjoyed my K20D ever since I first picked it up. I love using it, and it rarely if ever has disappointed me (I'm the limiting factor, not the camera system).

Thanks for the positive post!

Man, if only 1/2 of photographers on the boards could get on with that philosophy.

Carl
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're thoughts are what Pentax had in mind in the design of all their cameras. It's also the best reason to go to a shop and put the camera in your hands before buying. You can have the best camera in the world but if it doesn't "feel" right in your hands you'll never be satisfied with it.
01-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #15

Refreshing

I have found Carl's posts to be both refreshing and inspiring.

First of all Carl, I think your enthusiasm and positive outlook are what we need more of in this world!

Secondly, your unbiased, honest and fair approach to the K20D's capabilities are... well, unbiased, honest and fair. You are not saying that it is the be all and end all of DSLRs, but you are saying that it is the right camera for your particular (additional) needs.

I LOVE my K20D. I have used most of the other mfg's bodies and truly prefer the Pentax for my applications. I don't have to treat it with kid gloves, it has great IQ, and it has never let me down.

I look forward to hearing (and seeing) more from your journey. Be Interesting.

Gerry