Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Help me agains my suspicious friends!!!!!

Hello Everyone, please help me out

Well I know a lot of people that standing and choose between Pentax k20d, nikon D300 and canon 40d or now maybe 50d (including me before and now as well) Many of my friends still do.

I don't know if I will buy Two pentax k20d or one pentax k20d and one canon 50d/nikon d300? This together with one old 6X7 will make my day. I need two DSLR for my mission if one brokes.

But the problem is not me (i will at least buy one k20d anyway) but my friends!

I like k20d very much but what real arguments could i use for my friends that are in the same situation like i was? (I want them to buy pentax so pentax brand can benefit and hopefully grow bigger and stronger over the years )
it will benefit us all.

Nikon D300 has win a lot of prices and the Canon 50d any gold reward....so

any suggestions?

01-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Why don't you just invite them to visit this forum?
You should also suggest that they handle all the cameras they have to select from, Pentax certainly feel well built and balanced.
01-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Why don't you just invite them to visit this forum?
You should also suggest that they handle all the cameras they have to select from, Pentax certainly feel well built and balanced.
I wonder what would happen if we stuck the pentax k20d, the nikons and canons onto strings, and struck them against each other like pendulums.... pentax should win right? heh
01-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
Banned

I agree with Gary (as usual) your friends should try the cameras, hold it in their hands and get a feel for each one. if you have access to a proper camera/photography store I suggest trying out different bodies in the store with the equivalent (or closest to it) lenses from each manufacturer that they would likely use or first purchase. take some photos and see what they like. each one will do the same thing in a general term, so it comes down to lenses, ergonomics of the body and control layout as the most important factors to start with because they all take excellent photos. the 14.6 CMOS sensor of the K20D is a very good sensor, but the K20D might not be the camera for them. even though we all would like them to buy a Pentax.

01-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I wonder what would happen if we stuck the pentax k20d, the nikons and canons onto strings, and struck them against each other like pendulums.... pentax should win right? heh
Well I think so. Im pretty sure about it. The problem is that I could use the argument of wheather-proof agains the 40d but the 50d is a big differens and it's almost rainproof now too I heard people say.

Nikon D300 is a great camera. Nobody can say anything diferent, but I think K20d can compete with everything, I can't just explain why
haha

build quality, the winner is Pentax 67 II. One huge piece of metal and iron!!
The build-qualitys mother
01-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is really about picking a system and stick with it. After another 2 years, none of these cameras will be good enough for any starters...
01-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It is really about picking a system and stick with it. After another 2 years, none of these cameras will be good enough for any starters...
Well you are right but at the same time I know a lot of Pro's that uses two different systems (for example nikon D300 and Canon 30d) and well, I don't really know why, but maybe it's becasue they don't want to close themselves to one system. Or maybe it could be great for starters do just that, then if Nikon delivers best product in the future you go for a nikon upgrade, or if canon goes better you go for canon upgrade. It this case you don't have to change your whole system just for changing camera and brand.

I know much people stay with one brand, but I don't see any reson why you can't get "the best from two worlds"

Regards Emil

01-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I agree with Gary (as usual) your friends should try the cameras, hold it in their hands and get a feel for each one. if you have access to a proper camera/photography store I suggest trying out different bodies in the store with the equivalent (or closest to it) lenses from each manufacturer that they would likely use or first purchase. take some photos and see what they like. each one will do the same thing in a general term, so it comes down to lenses, ergonomics of the body and control layout as the most important factors to start with because they all take excellent photos. the 14.6 CMOS sensor of the K20D is a very good sensor, but the K20D might not be the camera for them. even though we all would like them to buy a Pentax.
Well yes, your are right. But the problem is that they have take the cameras in their hands and compared. We all agree about that Pentax is the best balanced of them all, but one have big hands (me too) and canon camera grip fits a little bit better. Nikon D300 feels very solid but the grip is not to nice and the balans the same. Pentax is solid like a rock, but the grip is a little bit small and I can't know how it will affect me or my friend when shooting.
I can really grab the canon 50d, but with the k20d I need the battery-grip to feel comfortable. The dendency to underexpose the images made my friends a little sceptic too, but for me it's ok.
Anyone had the same problem with the grip on k20d?

Regards Emil
01-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
... but with the k20d I need the battery-grip to feel comfortable. The dendency to underexpose the images made my friends a little sceptic too, but for me it's ok.
Anyone had the same problem with the grip on k20d?

Regards Emil
It's true of the K10D as well but the grip really balances the camera.
The underexposure is easy to adjust for, it's a known quantity so therefore doesn't have to be a negative.
If you want faster AF then Pentax may not do it but fast AF does not always produce accurate AF. Some would say that AF is not real photography.
If you and your friends are really that enthusiastic about photography you are going to be using manual focus and that's where Pentax has the upper hand, all the old lenses you can play with to create your art.
01-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's true of the K10D as well but the grip really balances the camera.
The underexposure is easy to adjust for, it's a known quantity so therefore doesn't have to be a negative.
If you want faster AF then Pentax may not do it but fast AF does not always produce accurate AF. Some would say that AF is not real photography.
If you and your friends are really that enthusiastic about photography you are going to be using manual focus and that's where Pentax has the upper hand, all the old lenses you can play with to create your art.
Well you are so right.
Listen! I never even use the AF so I love pentax for the old lens collection as you said.
My friends are a little bit more of computer-photographers and mind a lot of the electronic.
Maybe it's just better to let them go, becasue pentax is for photo-entusiasts...not hobbie gear collectors

The balans is amazing even with the batterygrip on.

Do you have any idea of what pentax lens is the most old of all, and from what year it is?
I really want one becasue This one on a k20d could mix the best from two worlds, and to have pictures with a classic look from a 14,6mp camera....mmmmm I already see my huge photos hanging there on the wall
01-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Well I know a lot of people that standing and choose between Pentax k20d, nikon D300 and canon 40d or now maybe 50d (including me before and now as well) Many of my friends still do.

I don't know if I will buy Two pentax k20d or one pentax k20d and one canon 50d/nikon d300? This together with one old 6X7 will make my day. I need two DSLR for my mission if one brokes.

I like k20d very much but what real arguments could i use for my friends that are in the same situation like i was? (I want them to buy pentax so pentax brand can benefit and hopefully grow bigger and stronger over the years )
it will benefit us all.

any suggestions?
You seem to be nice and even consider the need of your friends. Before you figure out 2 systems or 2 camera, try to solve the simpler problem in getting 1 system with basic need and go from there. If we are not professional, why are we bound to think like a professional with strenuous and limiting requirements. Why complicate our lives when we don't need to. Buying dSLR is first on the system as everything go with that system in lens, flash and accessories. Dare I say you can't go wrong in choosing any of Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus or simply a p&s.

In my view, everyone should choose their own path based on your understanding of your needs and try to best guess your future need in 12 months and see if the system will meet your needs in that 12 to 24 months.

I have chosen Pentax based on amateur need with 12 to 24 months of demand for enthusiast with desire to grow and learn in photography. Pentax is the right brand for me in terms of cost, value and quality. It is best for the budget minded who wants flexibility in choosing their gear. If I want the cheapest, I go for the M42 lens and MF lens and be picky on the choosing in Ebay and the used market. If I want the best money can buy, I go with the Pentax branded lens. And all 3rd party lens work well in Pentax with Tamron, Sigma and Tokina.

You can make some reference to my system path from point and shoot with Casio ex-z750, Fuji F30 to Pentax K100D, Pentax K10D and now Pentax K20D in

Hin's Camera Gear - Hin's Tech Corner

and my pictures are mostly in my personal blog in

Hin's Photo Blog

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-09-2009 at 05:43 AM.
01-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Do you have any idea of what pentax lens is the most old of all, and from what year it is
Not counting the lenses that Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kausha produced for the Japanese military during WWII, it would have to be an Asahi-Kogaku Takumar (M37) for the Asahiflex camera by Asahi Opt. Co., Ltd. the Asahiflex I, was introduced in 1952 followed by the Ia in 1953. so I can only assume the oldest lens would be from 1952. Asahi Opt. got its start in 1919 I believe making eye glasses. if I had to take a guess I would say it would be the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 50mm 3.5 (a Tessar-Type (4 elements/ 3 groups) but I could certainly be wrong.

Im sure Nikon (Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha) has much older lenses as they manufactured lenses for German rangefinders for a number of years before releasing their first camera. all in all the Japanese camera market didn't take off until the early 50's which put Nikon and Asahi Opt. in head to head competition in being the first for this and that.

Last edited by séamuis; 01-09-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: update of information on earliest lens.
01-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Not counting the lenses that Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kausha produced for the Japanese military during WWII, it would have to be an Asahi-Kogaku Takumar (M39) for the Asahiflex camera by Asahi Opt. Co., Ltd. the Asahiflex I, was introduced in 1952 followed by the Ia in 1953. so I can only assume the oldest lens would be from 1952. Asahi Opt. got its start in 1919 I believe making eye glasses. if I had to take a guess I would say it would be the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm 2.4 (a Heliar-Type (5 elements/ 3 groups) but I could certainly be wrong.

Im sure Nikon (Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha) has much older lenses as they manufactured lenses for German rangefinders for a number of years before releasing their first camera. all in all the Japanese camera market didn't take off until the early 50's which put Nikon and Asahi Opt. in head to head competition in being the first for this and that.
oh my gosh! You spoke about that you are young?? you speak like an 80years old
camera professor haha
Thank you so much for the help....im still stunned
Well...I will then go down to the store around the corner and buy one...

wait a minute....

I need some help....

Anyone could tell me where I could find one of these?

Maybe can the camera-researcher sir Séamuis the answer?

CheersRegardsandwhateveritscalled

Emil G
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Allow me to disagree.

I've had the K100D for nearly a year now, and aside from a few more buttons for quicker access to some settings; there really is nothing more I could want from it for my style of shooting. I don't need more than 6 mp.
01-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

it will benefit us all.

any suggestions?
If you are that worried about what your friends think of the camera equipment you are using, you are destined to a life of misery and chemical dependency.
If this helps, the studio I work with has three photographers who use Nikon D300s as their front line cameras, and me with my Pentax K20.
Interestingly, they are all quite envious of the technical quality of what my Pentax churns out compared to their Nikons.
The images generated from my Pentax are sharper, more natural looking, and print better.
For me, at the end of the day, this is as much justification as I need to use the Pentax brand of camera.