Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D & setting shutter speed

I've had my K20D for about a month now, and I can't seem to figure out this one issue I'm having. When I set it it to Tv mode in order to control the exposure, the following happens.....

- When using the "kit" lens (DA 18 - 55 3.5/5.6) I can set the shutter speed using th front e-dial just fine.

- When using the SMC FA 80 - 320 4.5/5.6 lens that I bought for my Zx-5n about 10 years ago I can't seem to set the shutter speed in Tv mode. In the viewfinder, the shutter speed just switches back and forth depending on the lighting, while the aperture just keeps reading "- -". The aperature ring is set to "A".

It's frustraring, as I'm trying to get some shots at my son's basketball games, and as you can imagine 9 out of every 10 shots don't freeze the action because i can't control the shutter speed. While it IS indoors, there seems to be ample light, and I've even tried "tricking" the camera by thinking - if it WAS a light issue - I'll point the camera directly at one of the lights because THEN I should be able to get enough light at f5.6 to be able to set the shutter speed, but no go. It does GIVE me a faster shutter speed, but it still doesn't allow me to set it with the front e-dial.

Is there a setting that may be off, or is it just a compatibility issue with the lens, and I have to buy a DA lens in order to be able to control the shutter speed?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Tim

01-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When "- -" is displayed this indicates that the A-pin is not working properly.
Check and clean the contacts.
01-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice blende8. I'm assuming you mean the contacts on both the front of the camera AND the back of the lens? (Odd that the contacts on the K20D would be "dirty" already - as it's just over a month old, and I've only switched back and forth between the two lenses a few time.)

Since I've never done this before - what is the preferred method for cleaning the contacts?

Thanks again for the help.....

Tim
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I've had my K20D for about a month now, and I can't seem to figure out this one issue I'm having. When I set it it to Tv mode in order to control the exposure, the following happens.....

- When using the "kit" lens (DA 18 - 55 3.5/5.6) I can set the shutter speed using th front e-dial just fine.

- When using the SMC FA 80 - 320 4.5/5.6 lens that I bought for my Zx-5n about 10 years ago I can't seem to set the shutter speed in Tv mode. In the viewfinder, the shutter speed just switches back and forth depending on the lighting, while the aperture just keeps reading "- -". The aperature ring is set to "A".

It's frustraring, as I'm trying to get some shots at my son's basketball games, and as you can imagine 9 out of every 10 shots don't freeze the action because i can't control the shutter speed. While it IS indoors, there seems to be ample light, and I've even tried "tricking" the camera by thinking - if it WAS a light issue - I'll point the camera directly at one of the lights because THEN I should be able to get enough light at f5.6 to be able to set the shutter speed, but no go. It does GIVE me a faster shutter speed, but it still doesn't allow me to set it with the front e-dial.

Is there a setting that may be off, or is it just a compatibility issue with the lens, and I have to buy a DA lens in order to be able to control the shutter speed?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Tim
Is the aperture ring on the lens sat to "automatic"....."A"?

01-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since the kit lens is working it is a problem with the FA lens.
First just inspect the contacts at the back of the lens. When you move the aperture ring in and out of the A-position you will notice that the A-pin is moving in and out.
Is this working?
01-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Darn...just realised! Another Minnesotan! Wow! I'll bet there have been at least a dozen new MN residents sign on to this forum in the last few days. We need to start a Minnesota group on the forum since Pentax camera clubs aren't too common in our neck of the north woods.

Welcome!
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Is the aperture ring on the lens sat to "automatic"....."A"?
Yes it is.....
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
First just inspect the contacts at the back of the lens. When you move the aperture ring in and out of the A-position you will notice that the A-pin is moving in and out.
Is this working?

I will check this tonight, when I get home from work.
Stupid job - keeps getting in the way of my photography!

01-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Is this working?
Turns out it seems to be working fine - so I guess that's not it. It moves just fine from one end of the aperture ring to the other.
So, I tried my other "kit" lens from my Zx-5n - an FA 28 - 70 5.6/4, and it DOES allow me to set the shutter speed with the front e-dial. So I suppose that makes this a "lens issue" - and I think I remember seeing a lens board, so I assume I should bounce over to there for a "fix"?

Thanks for the help so far,

Tim