Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Quick question about White Balance

I did a quick search and didn't see anything. Is there a WB shortcut (similar to the ISO's OK+Front-Dial) for the K10D without going through the menu?

My indoors have a mix of fluorescent and incandescent light, which makes changes tedious and slow.

01-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shortest way is [Fn] [Left] and set. Not the quickest. Myself, I use AWB and shoot RAW so it does not matter what the original setting was/is. I then use the eyedropper in Lightroom to set the balance in post.
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot RAW too. Since my computer cannot run LightRoom (old hardware), I cannot magically batch apply the raw settings across a set photos with the same WB.

AWB is okay, but I would prefer to get it right out of the camera. Thanks for the reply.
01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
I shoot RAW too. Since my computer cannot run LightRoom (old hardware), I cannot magically batch apply the raw settings across a set photos with the same WB.
Lightroom is not the only program out there that can do this - you might look into ACDSee Pro, Bibble, Lightzone, or other applications. This is too useful a feature to be without!

01-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Lightroom is not the only program out there that can do this - you might look into ACDSee Pro, Bibble, Lightzone, or other applications. This is too useful a feature to be without!
I've tried them all. UFRaw is the only one that is tolerable with older hardware. So at this point, I'm doing it one file at a time until I can write a shell script to batch process the files using UFRaw, which I guess is cool in a geeky sorta way.

PS I love LightZone over Lightroom. Bibble was clunky and weird.
01-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have some UFRaw scripts you can have to get a feel for writing them yourself. It is really easy. Private me for them. I copied them to my nautilus script directory so I can just click on the PEF directory, right click to pick the script and let it make a directory of JPGs in the background.

A couple of true confessions with this though:

1) I have abandoned UFRaw in favour of RawTherapee due to the much greater number of knobs you get with RT to adjust the image settings. Especially, RT does highlights so much better than UFRaw. And much of the clunkiness of RT has disappeared in the latest milestone. The only reason I use UFRaw now is for astronomical work since RT has yet to develop dark frame subtraction capability.

2) I find that rarely do I take so many shots with the same settings that they would benefit from a mass batch job. Instead, I have made up a bunch of presets based on ISO (with differing noise reduction settings, etc.) in RT that I use as a base. If I feel a need to adjust other settings such as WB, I just make an RT snapshot and apply the snapshot as needed.

Having said all that, UFRaw certainly would do better on older equipment. Not to rub salt in too much, but the latest UFRaw v0.15 has multi-processor ability so it is even better at tearing through your image processing on newer machines.

Jack