Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
changing image settings-K20D

You know, I don't remember this "Custom Image" box showing up when I press the function button on my K20D, but now it does, and I can't find a way to eliminate it. The instruction manual tells you how to use it, but not cancel it. Does it affect raw capture?
When I open my raw photos in Adobe Bridge the exif data says Contrast 2, Saturation 0, and Sharpness -Hard (whatever that means). But is there a way to change this in the camera without those custom buttons. I can see how to change the Custom Image buttons from Natural to Portrait etc. but I hate that kinda stuff. I just want the camera set to NO adjustments. I just always shoot manual and I don't want the camera to decide anything for me. I'd rather do that later in ACR. Is my memory bad and has that "Custom Image" box always been there, and I just never noticed until now?

01-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mine did the same thing when I looked at the exif. WTF? If I wanted all that crap I'd shoot jpegs...

Anyway, I just went in and set sharpness, etc. to 0 and now it no longer shows up in the exif. I have no idea what's up with adjusting the raw image in camera -- why bother? It's far easier and more effective to do all that in pp.
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

It is my understanding that even if you shoot RAW, the jpeg settings will affect how the jpeg is rendered on the LCD display (you did know that the LCD image is actually the embedded jpeg, no?). However, you still have full control over your RAW files regardless of the jpeg settings shown in the EXIF data.