Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #1

K10D versus K20D

I am buying a dSLR and I am 99% sure I have decided to go with Pentax. I come from a Pentax-using family and we have always had good luck with them. So my question is this...

I had decided on the K10D...but then I started looking into the K20D as well. And now I can't decide. Are there any flaws in either that could sway me in one direction over the other? Any opinions at all would be great.

I can find each of them on ebay (NIB) with lens for comparable prices (the K20D is generally a bit higher but also a newer model). So...can anyone help me out?

01-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Forum Member

As a K10D owner I notice a lot of threads by K20D users showing off the high ISO capabilities.

And I say that if you have money, why not go for the K20D?
01-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by tinycandi Quote
I can find each of them on ebay (NIB) with lens for comparable prices (the K20D is generally a bit higher but also a newer model). So...can anyone help me out?
If the 'bit higher' still keeps it in your budget, go for the K20D.
Better high-ISO shooting, 14.6MP on a CMOS sensor, it's a no-brainer.

Tony
01-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the quick replies!
A woman I have been aquainted with on another board referred me to the pentax forums...she's a 10D owner herself. She said that she wouldn't get a 20D because she has often seen 20D owners discussing some "bugs" that she would want worked out before she would consider purchasing one.
So I was just hoping to get some more insight. At this point, I am seriously considering coughing up a bit more for the 20D...unless I see anything about the 20D that changes that.

01-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

I've seen a few threads pertaining to 'hot pixels,' but that was mainly around release.

Nothing that would keep me from buying in your position.
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
just walk into a store and say "Gimme a K20D" ... it'll solve all your problems...

it's what i effectively did cause i was anguishing over so many cameras before i bought mine :P and im entirely happy haha
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
just walk into a store and say "Gimme a K20D"
lol! I walked in looking for a lens and walked out with a K10D
01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
tinycandi K10D versus K20D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am buying a dSLR and I am 99% sure I have decided to go with Pentax. I come from a Pentax-using family and we have always had good luck with them. So my question is this...

I had decided on the K10D...but then I started looking into the K20D as well. And now I can't decide. Are there any flaws in either that could sway me in one direction over the other? Any opinions at all would be great.

Firstly, both are excellent cameras and only you can decide which one is best for you. As good as the K10 is, there are a few advantages the K20 has which, if you are not already aware of, you need to look at, consider and weigh into the equation.

I guess the most obvious is the sensor, which shoots at 14.6 MP, instead of 10mp. This is a big advantage when it comes to cropping: all things being equal, the K20 is going to enable more keepers simply due to pure cropping power.

Also, it is generally agreed the K20 provides at least one stop of ISO advantage. Obviously, this is a big deal which needs serious consideration.

But there are smaller, yet noteworthy advatages in the K20 body. While both cameras may, on paper, shoot at the same FPS, all agree that 3 fps @ 14.6 MP is a bigger deal than 3 FPS @ 10MP. Also, the LCD monitor is improved on the K20. The Pentax Shake Reduction feature, so important in many camera buying decisions, is improved on the K20. The dust control system is improved on the K20, with the mapping feature. Let's not forget the Live View on the K20 which, although rudimentary, does offer advantages. I use it to manual focus, especially in Macro situations. There are other subtle differences, perhaps others will point to them here in this thread.

But it is not a matter of which is the better camera; it is a matter of which camera is better for you. Clearly the K20 is more updated--Da, it is a newer model. Both cameras take great shots and, in the end, it is the photographer which counts most. You must make the decision for yourself. I can't see how you can lose when picking between these two models. Best of luck to you!

01-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K20D also offers other technical points like the ability to fine tune focus per lens as well as more ergonomic ones such as displaying ISO (I believe that's a new feature) in the viewfinder are also nice. So is the ability to bracket with a single press rather than multiple presses of the shutter button.
01-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I can find each of them on ebay (NIB) with lens for comparable prices (the K20D is generally a bit higher but also a newer model).
You should get the K10D considerably cheaper than the K20D. If it weren't for a price difference, choosing the K20D would be a no-brainer.

The K10D Jpegs out of the camera with neutral settings have been criticised of being a bit soft. The K20D's noise should be finer-grained and other have mentioned it's better high ISO performance already.

The K20D also allows you to fine tune the AF of various lenses individually.

If money doesn't matter, go for the K20D.
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As far as I know, the one and *only* disadvantage of the K20D compared to the K10D is that you cna't turn off the "dark frame subtraction" slow shutter speed noise reduction. Meaning on any exposure longer than a couple of seconds, you have to wait an *additional" period of time equal to the shutter speed for the camera to do its thing. So if you do a lot of very long exposures (night cityscape/landscape photography at low ISO or small aperture on tripod), that would be annoying. This may be the "bug" your friend referred to. But my assumption is that this is not a bug at all - there is a *reason* there is no option to turn it off: the results would probably be unacceptably noisy.

Aside from that one issue (which would personally affect me on basically half a dozen shots per *year* at most), if the difference in price is within what you can handle, the K20D is improved in every way.
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never really understood that "bug," I've always lived with doing the dark-frame subtraction, and honestly, the one time I *forgot* to do it I have never stopped kicking myself over because of all the tiny little hot pixels I had to go edit out in post...
01-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much for the quick replies!
A woman I have been aquainted with on another board referred me to the pentax forums...she's a 10D owner herself. She said that she wouldn't get a 20D because she has often seen 20D owners discussing some "bugs" that she would want worked out before she would consider purchasing one.
So I was just hoping to get some more insight. At this point, I am seriously considering coughing up a bit more for the 20D...unless I see anything about the 20D that changes that.
I think the bug that your lady friend was talking about is that if she played around with your k20d, she would be "bugged" that your camera was better than hers...