Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Dust or Scratch???

Hello again,

Sorry I've been making a lot of threads lately, but I really need to know what's going on with the mirror of my K110D.

Lately, I've seen on my photos little marks, and I wanted to solve that, so I asked a couple of local photographers, and they told me to blow some compressed air in and at the mirror. So I've done that, and it has gotten some better, but there is still one mark on it. I'm starting to get worried that it's a scratch on the mirror. I have taken 2 photos, one with the lens on, and one without the lens on (pointed towards the light).

Hopefully someone can help me, because it's no fun having little marks on my photos.

I really appreciate it.

-Isaac

Attached Images

01-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

It looks like dust to me.

I would clean the front and back glass of the lens and take another picture. That's awfully large to be on the sensor, IMO.
01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sensor dust.
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgsullivan Quote
It looks like dust to me.

I would clean the front and back glass of the lens and take another picture. That's awfully large to be on the sensor, IMO.
I'm pretty sure it's not on the lens, because I tried my other lens (Pentax DA 50-200mm) and it was still there..I guess it's worth a try though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sensor dust.
So, how would I go about cleaning dust off the sensor, because in the manual it says to have it professionally done. Or is it okay to blow compressed air at the sensor? I don't want to mess around with anything.

Thanks for helping guys

-Isaac

01-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like hair. A rocket blower should help.

DO NOT use compressed air. The propellant can get on the sensor.
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's most probably just a piece of dust stuck on the sensor, considering that you say it's still there after trying different lenses. Try cleaning with a blower. Put the camera into the sensor cleaning mode, which locks up the mirror, and use a hand blower and give it a few bursts into the sensor area. Do not use compressed air!!

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacSteiner Quote
Sorry I've been making a lot of threads lately, but I really need to know what's going on with the mirror of my K110D.
Also, just to clear up your terminology, what you see won't be to due with the mirror. In simple terms, when you take a shot with a d/SLR, the mirror flips up, the shutter opens, the sensor/film collects the light, forming the photo, the shutter closes, and the mirror flips down again.
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Go here - and READ the articles.
Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning. - Introduction

Get a Rocket Blower and clean that thing.

The Elitist - formerly know as PDL
01-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacSteiner Quote
Hello again,

Lately, I've seen on my photos little marks, and I wanted to solve that, so I asked a couple of local photographers, and they told me to blow some compressed air in and at the mirror. So I've done that, and it has gotten some better, but there is still one mark on it. I'm starting to get worried that it's a scratch on the mirror. I have taken 2 photos, one with the lens on, and one without the lens on (pointed towards the light).

Hopefully someone can help me, because it's no fun having little marks on my photos.

I really appreciate it.
-Isaac
Taking a pic with the lens off and nothing covering the lens mount will add more dust. And in fact this has to be dust on your CCD and only your CCD. As the other posters have stated the mirror flips up and out of the way the shutter opens and your CCD sees the back of your lens. And in any case you could write your name on the mirror and you would not see it on the pic or in the view finder. But since you took the lens off for the last pic, that pretty much eliminates anything but the CCD.

Never, ever apply caned air. There is special canned air for this purpose, but just to be safe, never do it. Use a large bulb blower of some kind. Blow out your camera. Wet clean the CCD (with the appropriate CCD cleaning kit) and your problems I bet will be gone. You really just have a dust problem, nothing major and nothing new, just go slow, read up on cleaning your CCD. Purchase what you need to clean it and in no time you will be taking clean pics.

01-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the help everyone.

So pretty much I should get a Rocket Blower (or something that when you squeeze it blows air), then put the mirror up, then squeeze a few shots at the sensor, put the mirror down, and it should be good?

Thanks for the help,

-Isaac
01-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

And plucking out your eyelashes should keep that from happening again. (kidding)