Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Initial impressions of the K200D

Sooooooo... after some budget agonizing, but with an impending wedding shoot that was coming up I decided to bite the bullet and buy the K200D as a second body. Initially, after doing some review reading and what not, I didn't think that the difference was going to be huge compared to the K100D non-super and probably not worth the cost.

Boy was I wrong.

I know everyone has been saying to get the K20D, but up where I am the K200D is still considerably cheaper than a K20D. Anyways, on to the K200D...

The controls are quite similar to the K100D, which made it that much easier to adjust to during the wedding. It sure felt like a K100D at first... but oh man, once you let this thing fly, it really flies. First, the buffer capacity, and the ability to MOVE the files from buffer to card to free up the buffer... well... here's the scenario: I shoot RAW files at weddings. My K100D would fire 3 RAW shots, then take about 8 seconds to fully unload before I can fire another burst of 3 RAW shots. 8 seconds is a LONG time for ANY type of photoshoot. In between, if I needed to really get a shot through while the buffer was unloading, I'd only get one or two RAW shots through, then another few seconds of unloading.

The K200D, in comparison, fired about 4-5 RAW shots (with AF540FGZ flash too), unload for about 2-4 seconds, then I could take another 3-5 RAW shots. If I needed a few shots in the waiting period, it was definitely no problem as I could fire probably a 2 shot burst followed by a shot every second or so... something like that. Anyways, as my shooting only requires occasional bursts, the K200D was JUST RIGHT for my wedding shoot today. Anyways, basically, the K200D's buffer is WAY faster than anything the K100D could muster.

On top of that, there are SOOO many features galore that I didn't even get to touch during the wedding (as I just needed it as a backup). The backup K200D quickly became the main camera for the wedding:

-weathersealing (it was pouring rain... then snowing!)
-SDM (my DA*50-135 and DA*16-50 finally came to life. The DA*16-50 was finally usable!)
-Dust removal (I can leave my blower at home for only the hardcore stuff)
-10 MP
-Faster processing and buffering (considerably so)
-etc etc etc.

My only major con so far is the noise level at ISO 800... but that's something I can live with. It gives it a kind of a 'look', I guess...

Conclusion? For the price point and the amount of upgrades of the K100D non-super, I would definitely buy this body and invest the savings off the K20D for a nice lens... or just have a nice dinner every now and then.

PS: Side note... the DA* 50-135 dropped out of my bag at the banquet dinner... I nearly pee-ed my pants. Put it on the camera, gave it a test and still took nice shots. It's not only a great lens, it's pretty resilient too!! BUT DON'T BE A DUFFER LIKE ME AND DROP IT!!!