Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I have watched with amusement, sometimes with pity, as DSLR users stuggle with their cameras and bag of lenses at Disneyland, for example, as I have fun shooting my kids with my P&S that fits in my pocket. Going to take a DSLR to the beach and change lenses?
Those who struggle clearly don't know what they are doing - either they have the wrong lenses with them, don't know how to change them quickly, or simply don't know how to work the camera. Those of us who know what we are doing are perfectly happy shooting at Disney or the beach or anywhere else with just one prime, or a well-chosen set, or a couple of zooms.

QuoteQuote:
For small album prints even at higher ISOs, there is nothing gained with a DSLR.
Oh, no doubt there - depending on the ISO and the camera, of course. But for me, it just wouldn't be as much fun.

01-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #47
Inactive Account

I personally print out a lot of 4x6 prints and still feel the need for a 10MP camera, there are many times when you need crop a picture very tight.Cropping 1/20th of a picture may be extreme until you see a bald eagle feeding her chicks waaaaaaay in the background. You might have not have noticed it at first when shooting it with just your prime lens but when you do, your glad you had a top notch camea with the extra MPs to make it appear you were up close when you made the shot.

Barry
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #48

Original Poster
Sorry I have been away from the computer due to finals at school, but Regarding what seamuis said at the top of page 2, Yes I plan to eventually get a DSLR, a Bridge is just going give me the feel of one without actually spending major money on something I may never use.

I may just buy a Lumix and stick with it, because it can take movies and pictures and as far as I know of, no Pentax DLSR can take movies. Or I may go straight to buying a DSLR and skip over the Lumix. As of now I am uncertian what I want to do, but after using my K1000 and liking it, I am leaning towards the second option.

If i could get of topice breifly, I see the term "OP" being tossed around, what does that mean?

Last edited by beep41; 01-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.
01-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

OP=Original Poster
In the case of this thread, that would be you.

If you're OK with buying used, you might want to consider getting a used body like a K100D, K100D Super, or K10D. I've seen both the K100 models for sale for less than $300 for the body only and the K10D in the $350-450 range. Since those bodies have already depreciated in value a good deal, you won't lose much if you should later decide you want to sell that body to upgrade to a newer one. A couple of the best places to buy used are here in the Marketplace (I've never had a bad transaction here) and KEH.com (I've bought from them before and they've got a great return policy should you not be happy with what you bought).

HTH,
Heather

01-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Really? Do you have numbers to back that up? I would venture a guess that most dSLRs (and that would be entry level, as they have the highest sales volume) sell with a single lens. And I'd be willing to bet money that a large percentage of them rarely, if ever, have a lens change. Even if they have 2 kit lenses. Maybe once or twice as a novelty.
I'd take that bet as well.

This is darn near the reason superzooms for SLRs sell. It's a Swiss Army knife lens that can live on the camera. If you could get good sales data that cross referenced SLR purchasers and monster zoom purchasers, I'd bet that regardless of what ever else they own, that lens is on their camera better than 95% of the time they're using it. While I don't second guess those people's purchasing decision, most of them would probably be just as happy with a bridge camera.
01-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #51

I reeally have to agree with the lens switching issue. The family, especially on vacation, never has the patience to wait for "Dad" to swap for the next pic. Hence the popularity of the zooms. Unfortunately, the kit zooms are relatively slow, which brings its own set of compromises. It's very hard to justify purchasing a better quality lens when you just dropped 500-600 on the new camera and saved all year for the vacation. Add in some golf (or other hobby) and it's no wonder a single lens stays on the camera body.

I've been considering a new DSLR for a trip to Europe this summer, but am reconsidering for a number of reasons. Reviewing my past vacation pics, going back 25 years, and I realize I want a faster wide angle lens. I find most vacation pics to be building interiors, group pics, landscape. That brings the new DSLR up to around $750, half a plane ticket to Rome. I also want something smaller and less of a theft magnet. I find it amazing that I made it through Germany and England years ago with a superprogram and a 50mm. I'd be perfectly happy with a fast 28-75 equivalent on a 10 mp instead of zooming to the moon, and being easy to carry for 2 weeks.
01-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #52

Ok, so where does one get a low priced KM here in the US? I keep seeing $350 being quoted, but want to avoid the scams.

01-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote

For those with a superzoom bridge... have you actually taken a decent shot at 400+mm? I've seen some from family, etc and they've all been terrible. I remember looking thru my fathers Fuji something with EVF and thinking how can anyone put up with this!
Sure. From my Lumix at 72mm: (FOV like a 435)

These lenses apparently aren't hard to make long, (it's only actually 72mm) and the OIS is very impressive. The wide end has some barrel distortion, but the lenses on these guys can be nice.

EVFs, well, hopefully they've improved since then. Starting with the next model after my FZ-7, they really did improve these, though they're still EVFs, with probably all the inherent frustrations, there, (My biggest issue is the difficulty getting level horizons: the EVF lag and barrel distortion at wider settings just seemed to make levelling hard. I don't really know what's happened since then.

Oh, and for the OP (Original Poster) ...I'd still suggest going with a DSLR if you can swing it, since you already have a point-and shoot of some description: bridge cameras are neat, but still, as far as I know, pretty laggy, which can be a bit frustrating as regards timing and a smooth release, and while they offer more control, that control isn't terribly easy to get at, at least compared to an SLR.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-16-2009 at 09:17 AM.
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reniegreg Quote
Ok, so where does one get a low priced KM here in the US? I keep seeing $350 being quoted, but want to avoid the scams.
I'm pretty sure the K-m (or K2000, as usually labeled in the US) still costs a bit more than that. If you don't mind something fairly chunky by comparison, a K10d would be a nice start. The marketplace here is actually a pretty good place to look.
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reniegreg Quote
I don't know about the K-m, but you can *definitely* get the K200D from prodigital2000 (a legit company) for about that via Ebay.