Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K100D dust in LCD, pls help

My 1 year old K100D has visible dust in the LCD already, but shots still seem perfect though. Has anyone experienced this also? Is it possible to DIY this? How?

Thanks guys. I'm from the Philippines btw.

01-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dingchavez Quote
My 1 year old K100D has visible dust in the LCD already, but shots still seem perfect though. Has anyone experienced this also? Is it possible to DIY this? How?

Thanks guys. I'm from the Philippines btw.
Don't do this without doing some research first, but here's how it works on many cameras:

Use hairdryer to warm up the LCD cover, focusing on the edges.

Attach suction cup to LCD cover.

Carefully pull it out. Blow dust out with rocket blower and stick back on while the seal's still soft.

As I said, never done it on a Pentax, and no clue if it's glued on in a similar way, but that's how I fixed some dust on a Canon..
01-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dingchavez Quote
My 1 year old K100D has visible dust in the LCD already, but shots still seem perfect though. Has anyone experienced this also?
Yes, this is nothing unusual.
I think quite some people have experienced this already.
It appears to be some dust from inside, talkum or something like that.
Nothing to worry about.
In my camera it disappeared after some months without doing anything.
01-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

@pingflood, I would definitely want to try this out, but lets just wait for a few more replies. Someone from here might have actually done this.

@blende8, mine wont go away and has been there for months already and is a bit annoying. I really want to get rid of them ASAP.

01-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Ding, when I got my K100D, less than a month after, dust also appeared from the lower right of the LCD. I ignored it, but before my warranty with Sanly's was up, had it cleaned (fixed together with a glitch with manual lenses and hot pixels). When I got it back, the camera was like new again... but then, after a few months, the dust came back. I learned to live with it since then... it's a minor annoyance at best(or worse)...

At least it wasn't like my K10D (sold it already)... while viewing pictures, I thought there was a piece of dust, checked pics again after a few, the piece of dust changed position... then moved! It was an insect living in my LCD! hahaha... I left the camera without lens for about three days, so the bug can get out (I wouldn't want it to die stuck in my LCD!) then all was well...
01-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hahhaha! pinflood's advice was amazing! It worked perfectly like no other! Thanks to you man! Thanks a mil!!!

You guys (having the same problem) should try it too. Just keep the adhesive in the plastic screen clean.
01-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
btw, you also need a pair of long-nose pliers to hold the suction cup and pull out the plastic screeen/LCD cover.

01-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Presumably you are all talking about the back LCD?

I have a little something under the cover of the top LCD. Doesn't disturb me a lot, just wondering if someone has successfully removed this cover?