Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Help on the pop-up flash of my K100D

the pop-up flash on my k100d suddenly stops working. when the flash is off, the camera works normal; when the flash pops up, as i press the shutter half way down, it focuses, but once i press shuuter all the way down, nothing happens. i changed batteries but the problem remains. i looked around in the menu and saw something that says "release when charging" which defaults "off", i set it to "on", and this time, while the flash is up, i can press down the shutter and take picture but the flash still won't go off. what could be the problem here?

01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Burnt flash tube, more than likely. You'll have to send it to Pentax repair center to have it fixed.
01-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Burnt flash tube, more than likely. You'll have to send it to Pentax repair center to have it fixed.
Thanks. Two follow-up questions:
1. I'm thinking about buying an external flash, is it ok that I simply do not use the built-in flash altogether?
2. Do you know of a reliable repaire shop in New York City where I can get it fixed?
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For your first question, there are many advantage using an external flash. You can actually get one tailored to your needs, and they are more powerful than the "candle" hidden inside the camera. Most of them have the ability to bounce the light for more natural effects, and some can be use off-camera. Just make sure the triggering voltage on the unit you get is below 30 volts to avoid "frying" the camera's electronics.

Can't answer your second question, since I'm not even in your country, much less in your area. Sorry.

01-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

make sure your shutter speed is under 1/180 as that is the max sync with pentax cameras...