Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

Pentax K10D - Questions

Hello,

I'm currently shooting with a Pentax K110D, and I'm thinking of a moving into a K10D.

I just have a few quick questions:

1. I just figured out it takes a special lithium battery, is it possible to use regular AA's?

2. Is the special lithium battery hard to find, and how long does it last?

It's also kind of cool if I moved into a K10D because I got a 4gb SDHC card for Christmas, and the K110D doesn't support SDHC, so it'd be nice to be able to use it.

It'd also be pretty cool to have a friend to shoot with.

Thanks,

-Isaac

01-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacSteiner Quote
1. I just figured out it takes a special lithium battery, is it possible to use regular AA's?
No, but do not worry. When I have switched from istDL to K10D I was worried about the same thing (AA availability vs dedicated charger). Truth is, that I have never run out of the juice in the K10D battery. It seems like they are running forever.

2. Is the special lithium battery hard to find, and how long does it last?
Same battery as Minolta battery so it is easy to find. Cheap on Ebay. I have bought my K10D used and now it has about 1.5 years and the original battery is still going strong. I have never even bought a spare one.
01-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isaac,

You might want to consider getting a K200D instead of the K10D. The K200D has some of the features of the K10D (e.g., higher resolution sensor, weather sealing), AND it uses AA batteries. My daughter & son-in-law just got one for Christmas and it is very nice.

Concerning the SD card problem with the K110D, you might want to consider updating the firmware on the K110D to the latest (1.02 I think) which gives it SDHC compatibility.

-Joe-
01-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote

Same battery as Minolta battery so it is easy to find. Cheap on Ebay. I have bought my K10D used and now it has about 1.5 years and the original battery is still going strong. I have never even bought a spare one.
My cheapy replacement battery lasted about a year. Now it gives me around 30-40 shots and dies.
I paid $15.00 Canadian for it, so i plan on getting another.

I buy from interbattery.com

Dave

01-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

The Pentax battery lasts a long time. I'd recommend one spare battery since by the time the battery indicator goes to half, you only have about 30-50 shots left. I bought two aftermarket replacement batteries and wish I'd bought one Pentax battery instead. With the Pentax battery I know I can get X pictures, with the aftermarkets it seems to vary a lot. Last weekend I took my camera on a winter hike and only got 10 shots out of a fully charged aftermarket battery (given it was very cold, but 10 shots?)

Last edited by Mile High; 02-05-2010 at 09:25 AM.
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I usually buy the Minolta branded batteries from Amazon. Those have been just as good as the original Pentax battery but they are half the cost. I don't trust a lot of ebay sellers for these types of things.

I do find I get a ton of shots out of one battery, but as others mentioned, once it shows half you probably have 5 shots left.

As an aside, does the K20d behave similarly with regard to the battery life indicator?
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
krs
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Isaac,

You might want to consider getting a K200D instead of the K10D. The K200D has some of the features of the K10D (e.g., higher resolution sensor, weather sealing), AND it uses AA batteries. My daughter & son-in-law just got one for Christmas and it is very nice.
-Joe-
I thought the K10D and the K200D used the same sensor...
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
krs
Site Supporter

I went with 2 Pentax batteries, have had both for over a year, and have had no problems.

I typically put only one battery in (in the grip), and when it goes low, I use the other, and charge up the first...

01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I think they do use the same sensor. I thought the K200d was basically the K100d with the K10d sensor in it (i.e. 10MP instead of 6MP) or perhaps it is more like the K10d but using AA batteries instead. I do think its menu and control features are more like the k100d.
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
krs
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I think they do use the same sensor. I thought the K200d was basically the K100d with the K10d sensor in it (i.e. 10MP instead of 6MP) or perhaps it is more like the K10d but using AA batteries instead. I do think its menu and control features are more like the k100d.
Sorry - I miss read your note the first time - you are right!
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I think that's what he said - the K200D and K10D both share the same "higher resolution sensor" - higher than the K100D.

Anyhow, the K200D is indeed similar to the K10D in terms of the sensor and some of the other features, but more similar to the K100D in terms of basic body design (button layout, viewfinder - and use of AA batteries).
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone

I want to get into a K10D over a K200D, seeing it's cheaper, and I think I like the layout a little bit more.

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
No, but do not worry. When I have switched from istDL to K10D I was worried about the same thing (AA availability vs dedicated charger). Truth is, that I have never run out of the juice in the K10D battery. It seems like they are running forever.

This was a perfect response that I wanted to hear. When you say It seems like they are running forever, exactly how long is that? Right now I am very impressed with my Rayovac Hybrid Rechargeable . So would they be able to match that?

Thanks again,

-Isaac
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

In average tempertures (not extremely cold) I would expect no less than 400 pics on a charge. I went to a LeMans race in the summer and only used one battery the whole day (11am to 8pm), keeping the camera on and letting it go to standby when not in use. This was with no flash use and some AF.

The Pentax battery costs $45...the Minolta NP-400 costs $10. The Minolta does have a lower mAh rating...something like 1440 vs 1650 for the Pentax. I have 2 Pentax brand and one Minolta...I haven't opened it yet since 2 batteries is more than enough
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When you say It seems like they are running forever, exactly how long is that? Right now I am very impressed with my Rayovac Hybrid Rechargeable . So would they be able to match that?
Hard to say how many shots, but I would think somewhere between 400 and 550 would be my guess. I used the camera casually (mostly on weekends) and once it was charged and used on a weekend (maybe 80 shots) I put it away and used again next weekend. I did that until something major like birthday approached when I wanted to have full battery ready. Other than that, I have never even saw 1/2 mark on the battery icon.
01-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The life of the batteries depends a bit on how much pixel peeping you do, how often you use the onboard flash (if you do), and even how often you take photos.

I find that if I shoot over a whole day, my Pentax and Minolta batteries last both about the same, 400+ photos. If I am not taking many photos, sometimes I get a little less, 350 maybe, due to the natural decay of my batteries over time.

There was a great thread(s) not too long ago that looked specifically at all the different batteries including some of the ebay ones. It is very interesting and gives you an idea of the cost / efficiency of different batteries. (Click here for one of those threads)