Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Question on Ist-D focus confirmation on 3rd party manual K lens

Hi all,

I've searched everywhere for the answer of my problem, but found no answer. I hope I'm not asking the same question all over again. To make it short:

My ist-D gives focus confirmation on my manual Pentax lens (smcp a 50/2), BUT it does not give any focus confirmation on my third party manual K mount lens (vivitar 28/2.8; image 70-210; sakar 70-300). Is this normal?

I've tried all kind of setting on the menu/custom. Someone on photo.net (Pentax Forum: Pentax Ist D) can even get focus confirmation with a copier machine lens. It just doesn't work for me.

I have also upgraded the firmware to the latest version (v 1.12) so I can meter with manual lens using the green button, but it just fails to give focus confirmation, except with my smcpa 50/2 which works perfectly. Does this mean that the focus confirmation only works with pentax lens?

Thanks

Data

Last edited by brainanta; 03-19-2007 at 11:15 PM.
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Go to Custom Menu and scroll down.

"FI with S Lens used" >> select "Availiable"

and if you haven't done this already..

"Using aperture ring" >> select "Permitted"

Note if you use you aperture ring, shoot only on Manual. Close the ring down to the desired f-stop. Then press the "AE-L" button. This stops the lens down and meters the shutter speed.
03-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
I heard about that 'FI with S Lens used' option, but I couldn't find that in my ist-D; are you referring to ist-D or your Samsung, which, as far as I know the brother of ist-DL. And I have set the "F stop other than A" on, but my problem is not on the metering but on the focus confirmation.

Yup, Thx anyway

Last edited by brainanta; 03-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

nono, my samsung runs the same 'program' as their pentax counterparts. all the menus are the same.

wow, I just checked the *Ist D Reviews and you are right. I can't find any mention of the Focus Indicator Options on the menu lisitngs. Strange. Oh well.

Sry, I guess you can give Pentax a call about it. We all squint at the viewfinder but that focus indicator gives some much needed reassurance.

03-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there should be no difference between a manual pentax lens and a third party lens as neither have any contact information to give the camera. I have used successfully on my *istD and K10 both pentax and non pentax lenses. On my *istD I have even used a celestron C90 scope with T mount adaptor, which is anodized and does not even make electrical contact to the camera body connections.

I do know however that my brother in law cannot use this same setup on his nikon, as it seems to want to have a short circuit across the body contacts.
03-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

That means one thing you aren't in focus!
03-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"That means one thing you aren't in focus!"

i think i would have to agree with that one.. he he

i dont think the camera can tell what make of manual lens it has on it..

trog
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brainanta Quote
My ist-D gives focus confirmation on my manual Pentax lens (smcp a 50/2), BUT it does not give any focus confirmation on my third party manual K mount lens (vivitar 28/2.8; image 70-210; sakar 70-300). Is this normal?
Thanks

Data
When I'm working with MF on my Sears and my friend's 135mm Gemini lenses, I have to turn the focus ring very slowly when I am very close to being within focus. The focus point is so shallow that you may be in focus and then out of focus before the camera can even react. I found this with a couple other lenses - my M35-70/3.5-4 and my M28/2.8.

My K28/3.5 and my M50/1.7 don't show this symptom as much.

It could have something to do with how much contrast is coming off the subject through the lens, since the camera's focus sensors determine based on contrast (max contrast is in focus).

03-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments guys,

To Cideway and TRog100: I thought that my eyes might not focus well, although I'm more used to MF than AF. I did some test to find out my focusing ability. Both was taken with 28 mm lens (a vivitar 28/2.8 and FA 28-70/4) from about a foot distance with tripod and 2 sec timer. Shot in RAW, cropped 5% on the center, focused on the word 'Bau-', converted to JPG.

The one on the left was taken with Vivitar 28/2.8; at f/4, 1/50; No focus confirmation (and it won't lit no matter how slow I focus), just relying on my eyes.

the one on the right with the shortest end of my FA 28-70/4 at f/4, 1/50; with AF to set on focus confirmation.

Do you think my first shot is not in focus?

To Alvin: I've tried to focus as slow as I can and now I started to think that this might just be a case that 1) my lens copies are bad, or 2) my ist-D copy is bad, or 3) I set the wrong camera setting.

Fortunately, I'm still happy that my Pentax lens is working perfectly, although the oldest I have is the A lens. And I don't often used my 3rd party old lenses anyway because their IQ aren't good, but some time ago I wanted to save money and get some vintage primes for my still life work, so I want to make sure I know how to get the most of my ist-D by using the in focus indicator with those lens. Now. I'll probably just have to save more and stick with contemporary Pentax lens, which probably the safest thing anyway...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 

Last edited by brainanta; 03-20-2007 at 12:37 PM.
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

it could just be a "softness" factor.. with my k100 i find manual focus somewhat unpredicable anyway.. more so with a lens that isnt exactly super sharp.. the softer the lens the harder it all becomes.. longer focal length lenses causing the most problems..

in fact i am dissappointed with all my older (ebay) primes whatever the make.. anything other than a standard 50mm just dosnt seem to compare well with cheap modern zooms..

nice well made expensive looking prime lenses that just dont seem to have the image quality i expected from them.. i keep them because i like the "engineering".. i just like nicely made metal things..

however the image quality leaves a lot to be desired.. he he

perhaps pixel peeping wasnt so easily done in the "old" film days.. dunno..

trog
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
in fact i am dissappointed with all my older (ebay) primes whatever the make.. anything other than a standard 50mm just dosnt seem to compare well with cheap modern zooms..

nice well made expensive looking prime lenses that just dont seem to have the image quality i expected from them.. i keep them because i like the "engineering".. i just like nicely made metal things..

however the image quality leaves a lot to be desired.. he he
Well, I'm glad to hear that from you, it helps preventing me from catching that awfully tempting LBA ... I did order two russian lens jupiter 11a and industar 61 l/z about 3 mths ago, but the seller mistakenly sent me two helios 44, I decided to cancel the purchase for a refund, good thing he was a good honest seller and agreed. I ended up getting FA 28-70/4 and have not regretted it, except that they now cost cheaper on feebay. But for some days before I returned the helios, I tried them on my P3 (I hadn't had dslr at the time) and aren't they a beauty ... those metal really feel good on the fingers.

I'm very new to these metal beauties, I haven't even touched any taks ... .
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

"Well, I'm glad to hear that from you, it helps preventing me from catching that awfully tempting LBA"

i caught it with my son.. between us we went thru a whole bunch of ebay specials.. its done me a favour really cos i certainly dont lust after the more expensive primes any more..

i think the standard (made by the million) 50mm and 28mm primes work okay whatever the make is.. but anything longer just didnt come up to expectations.. in short not as good as a cheap plastic tamron 70 x 300..

the cheaper plastic "rubbish" however exceeded expectations.. he he.. just not so nice to "fondle"..

for example a cheap sigma 28mm x 80mm zoom which can be bought for next to nothing with x4 filter on the end makes a rather nice 1:1 macro lens for a fraction of what a real f2.8.. 80mm one would cost.. the f2.8 being wasted on a macro lens because the dof just isnt there..

i have put it down to film grain hiding the lack of "sharpness" factor or the fact folks didnt pixel peep so much back in the "old" pre plastic days.. but just how soft some of the older (nicely made) lenses were did surprise me..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 03-20-2007 at 10:21 PM.
03-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Assuming the Post processing is equal the reason why the camera may not be giving focus confirmation, simply based on what you have show here, is that your older lens has very low contrast, and may not have enough contrast for the AF system to operate.
03-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Assuming the Post processing is equal the reason why the camera may not be giving focus confirmation, simply based on what you have show here, is that your older lens has very low contrast, and may not have enough contrast for the AF system to operate.
That's probably the more favourable explanation for my problem (my lens sucks, rather than my camera is broken); I'll try other lens then if I've got the chance. Cheers.