Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Dirty viewfinder problem?

Hey guys, I just realized that my K10D seems to have dust or lint or something strange on the viewfinder. It's not on the piece of glass I look through - I cleaned that. And it also doesn't show up in pictures. I can't imagine how it got there, but is there any way I can fix it? Thanks!

01-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably just on your focusing screen. Use a blower to get rid of it.
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi there, I just took the lens off and it appears to be on the little thing behind the mirror? How should I get to that? Just want to make sure I do it right. Not sure how I got anything in there in the first place since I haven't taken the lens off in a while...
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
look in the manual for "sensor cleaning"...

01-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

HMMMMMMMMMM
The little thing behind the mirror is the sensor. Which means you have dust on the sensor. Use a blower and with the camera turned upside down give it a few blows. If it is still there try a Pec-pad (soft non abrasive dry wipe) and lightly wipe it over the sensor in the same upside down position. If that doesn't work there are some good sensor cleaners on the market, but for the little it would cost to have it professionally cleaned I would go that route. At least if anything happens they are responsible to fix or replace it.

Dust can get in at anytime you change the lens. the best way to change lenses is to point the lens to the ground and remove it and replace it with another lens the same way. This way there is still a chance of dust getting in but not as much.
The other thing here is you have the K10 which has a dust removal system built in. try that first and then try the rest.
01-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blank Quote
Hi there, I just took the lens off and it appears to be on the little thing behind the mirror? How should I get to that? Just want to make sure I do it right. Not sure how I got anything in there in the first place since I haven't taken the lens off in a while...
If you're seeing it in the viewfinder and not on the pictures the dust isn't on the sensor. You might have dust there too, but it's not causing it to show in the viewfinder.
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If there is dust in the viewfinder but not on the picture, opening up the camera long enough to try to clean the viewfinder is likely to give you the opposite problem a clean viewfiner but dust on the sensor, and hence on the pictures. I say leave well enough alone if you don't knwo exactly what you are doing.