Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
I just hope that some day, in the process of figuring out how to shoot video on a DSLR, one of the camera makers figures out how to open the shutter all the way then turn the sensor on and off electronically. I hope it will dawn on them at that moment that they can give us a 1/500 synch speed at full flash power in the deal and maybe some insain full res frames per minute too.

If Pentax could offer a 1/500 full power synch speed it might be the one pony trick that could give them a renewed value edge.

Several of the 6mp Nikon DSLR's sync on the hotshoe at 1/500, using exactly the method you describe. D50, D70s, D40.

If you take the flash off the hotshoe and use a sync cord or a radio trigger you can sync all the way up to the max shutter speed of the camera (radio slave delays notwithstanding).

My understanding is that this electronic shutter implementation is possible on CCD sensors, but can not be implemented on CMOS sensors.

If someone came out with a 10-12mp CCD camera with electronic shutter, 1/500 sync speed (with possibility to hack higher sync speed via radio triggers), solid AF performance and great high ISO, they'd sell this camera like hot cakes to strobist fans.

-Sam

01-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Exactly... the Nikon D70 was (is) the perfect camera from a flash synch perspective. I've heard the CCD vs. Cmos limitation argument but I think there is more to it. If that's the only limitation, why aren't all of the enthusiast and pro level CCD cameras able to synch at 1/500 or better? I'm certain the manufacturers have considered it. What's holding them back?
01-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #18

Exactly... the Nikon D70 was (is) the perfect camera from a flash synch perspective. I've heard the CCD vs. Cmos limitation argument but I think there is more to it. If that's the only limitation, why aren't all of the enthusiast and pro level CCD cameras able to synch at 1/500 or better? I'm certain the manufacturers have considered it. What's holding them back?
You make a good point, and it prompted me to go read a bit more about it. Apparently there's technical issues with getting a clean "shutter closed" effect from the electronic shutters. This can negatively impact image quality by way of noise and exposure variation, also some rumoring of it affecting sensor life.

I'm actually glad this came up because I have to admit to lusting after the d70 for a while. The electronic shutter issues that I ran across might be overblown, but it's a good reminder to research things like this thoroughly before jumping in.

-Sam
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I want is to have a faster AF as I'm having a hard time when I try taking shots
of moving objects.. Like sports, playing kids.. etc..

01-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for all those discussing about high speed shutter sync, this is done with multiple flashes at reduced power from the flash, syncronized with the shutter slit as it moves past the sensor.

Pentax does this also.

the problem is that you are limited in flash power because of the need to keep the flash charged through out the multiple flashes.
01-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as a general discussion topic, there have been many threads about what people want.

I put these into 2 catagories. those that require substantial change in concept that are not worth the cost, and those that require simple changes to software where pentax does not seem to want to provide features.

When the K10D came out there were many such "wish lists" posted
01-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
for all those discussing about high speed shutter sync, this is done with multiple flashes at reduced power from the flash, syncronized with the shutter slit as it moves past the sensor.

Pentax does this also.

the problem is that you are limited in flash power because of the need to keep the flash charged through out the multiple flashes.
Right - hence my desire for 1/500 synch at full power. It's dang near impossible to overpower daylight with the reduced HSS flash power and you are stuck with expensive, proprietary, and relatively week speedlights. Wouldn't it be nice to have 1/500 that would work with any light, including say a studio full of 20 year old 1600 WS studio strobes?

03-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I've heard the CCD vs. Cmos limitation argument but I think there is more to it.
If that's the only limitation, why aren't all of the enthusiast and pro level CCD cameras able to synch at 1/500 or better?
I'm certain the manufacturers have considered it. What's holding them back?
Maybe the high energy consumption. With the global shutter introduction sensors by Sony there's a solution.
Sony Announces Image Sensor with Global Shutter, BSI - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com
03-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You're right. He should have said "sudo make me a sandwitch".

Obscure joke.
I have nothing to add to this thread outside of me blurting coffee all over my keyboard.

sudo apt-get towels to wipe keyboard

Hahaha!