Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

"what people may like to see in a Pentax DSLR ;-)"

in keeping in the tradition of this quote:

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Moved to DSLR discussion, I agree this isn't news or a rumour, just a discussion of what people may like to see in a Pentax DSLR ;-)

On topic the FF MZ-D did look pretty cool..
this is why i want video in a PENTAX Dslr

I want to use my lenses to get the composition control and low light capabilities the video camera makers don't want to give me .....

I know a lot of other on the forum poo poo over the idea "their" camera having video and if i want a video camera go buy a video camera .... I just want a camera that shoots like the SLR i've been using since i was 12 .... they wont give it to me .... I want PENTAX to give it to me ....

01-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

let me guess, you want it under 500 dollars too?

*roll eyes

go make me a sandwich.
01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And if it won't? What then?
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
And if it won't? What then?

i'll keep waiting ..... like i waited for their delayed entry in to the DSLR market .... they will ALL switch ... over time .... but in the mean time i'm voicing my opinion

and if the situation is right a canon or nikon will arrive at the office and the pentax will stay at home

01-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
let me guess, you want it under 500 dollars too?

*roll eyes

go make me a sandwich.

let me guess, your a -----

*roll eyes

make your own sandwich
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
make your own sandwich

You're right. He should have said "sudo make me a sandwitch".

Obscure joke.
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
i'll keep waiting ..... like i waited for their delayed entry in to the DSLR market .... they will ALL switch ... over time .... but in the mean time i'm voicing my opinion

and if the situation is right a canon or nikon will arrive at the office and the pentax will stay at home
translation: i have more disposable income than you guys, and since a pentax photo camera doesnt make me movies, i'm going to buy the other toys so i can express my overflowing artistic talent on to the world.

i'm still waiting for my sandwich, hold the mayo.

01-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

To me the ergonomics and the constraints of making DSLR shooting video will always make much worse than a true video camera.

I've looked at a video on the website of canon where the aliasing was simply horrible.

A real solution would be to release a real video camera on Pentax mount (4K pixels, APSC-sensor, electronic viewfinder a la bridge / Panasonic G1, etc....) Samsung ?

Regards,
Guillaume
01-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

or, i dont know... buy a video camera?
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You're right. He should have said "sudo make me a sandwitch".

Obscure joke.
Obscure, but still a good one...

Steve

(Been writing shell scripts all week...)
01-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I work in the TV comercial industry

for high budget projects its common to use the Red camera (basically a pro HD Dcam that can use SLR lenses) only Canon or Nikon.
for lower budgets we used the d90 and the 5D MK2 before.
I don't know if Pentax wants to go there but it does looks like the pro video industry converting to video DSLRs.

As for me I stick with Pentax for the lenses... so... more good lenses please.

Now... I have a friend that wants to buy the K20D now... should I tell him to go for it or wait for the next model?

Thanks
01-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
for high budget projects its common to use the Red camera (basically a pro HD Dcam that can use SLR lenses) only Canon or Nikon.
Is that thing really as useful as it looks?
And what do you guys use the SLR lenses for (I'm guessing DOF tricks mostly)?
Just curious how this concept is being applied besides the Canon 5DmkII videos I've seen and why you'd rather do this instead of using expensive HD 3-CCD videocams...
01-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Just curious how this concept is being applied besides the Canon 5DmkII videos I've seen and why you'd rather do this instead of using expensive HD 3-CCD videocams...
In my opinion (I am not a video photographer but a VFX guy) first the ability to change lenses and to use amazing quality glass for cheap price. you could in the past change lenses on expensive film cameras but HD and digital made it available to everybody.
I could ask our photographer and give you a better answer
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just hope that some day, in the process of figuring out how to shoot video on a DSLR, one of the camera makers figures out how to open the shutter all the way then turn the sensor on and off electronically. I hope it will dawn on them at that moment that they can give us a 1/500 synch speed at full flash power in the deal and maybe some insain full res frames per minute too.

If Pentax could offer a 1/500 full power synch speed it might be the one pony trick that could give them a renewed value edge.
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #15

Original Poster
video

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

FWIW so far when compared to even a video camera in the 10K$ range the 5dmkII is showing better dynamic range. better low light. better rendering of colors. than dedicated video cameras. then there is the Lens and sensor limitations. the lens combination's built into these cameras are limited ..... basically $10K point and shoots in these regards .... the widest angle limited to the 35mm equiv of 30mm (if you lucky) any wider you have to screw on supplementary lenses. . the sensor the size of 110 film for any thing costing less than $6000

as for form factor, try shooting on a vixia or any the new consumer palmcorders they just as atrocious when used hand held as the digital slr maybe worse due to the micro size. no camera less then $10k are designed to even sit on your shoulder any more. and one who says the slrs are wors hasn't really been shooting with the new video camera very much. the only thing they have going is the rotatable viewfinder and built in handle. other wise you hold with your right hand and steady with your left like a slr. or you put it on a tripod like your supposed to do with a video camera and the whole ergonomics form factor thing goes away in a great big hurry

if the manufactures have taken all of the true usability out of the current generation of video cameras. at least with the digital SLR i can have DOF and add back the third dimension in composition. and go au natural in the lighting

i really could go on but needless to say I am allowed to ask for quality video in a PENTAX to use as i want