Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
this is the k20d program mode glitch. all k20d's do it. hopefully it will be fixed with the next firmware update
Are you saying what I described above is a "known bug"? Just looking for clarification on what your reply is in reference to.

01-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it's a known bug.

See this thread
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I had an email from Dorian (who frequents this forum) on 04/04/2008 saying Pentax would look into it. They didn't fix it in their latest firmware.
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, guys, try TAv mode. You set the shutter speed and aperture, the camera adjusts the ISO to the meter. That's what it is there for.

01-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I use TAv a lot. But when I got the K20D I put it in its much vaunted Hyper-P mode wanting the quick change to Av or Tv mode via the dials. However it doesn't do what it should do and I would have thought Pentax would fix this blatant and rather large error. I still want to be able to do this.
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up, Arpe. It had me scratching my head for sure. It certainly would be a handy mode if it worked but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
01-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I use TAv a lot. But when I got the K20D I put it in its much vaunted Hyper-P mode wanting the quick change to Av or Tv mode via the dials. However it doesn't do what it should do and I would have thought Pentax would fix this blatant and rather large error. I still want to be able to do this.
Arpe, are you saying that the P mode shifts properly when you change an e-dial, but then won't change the ISO when it runs out of f/stop room or shutter speeds? If so, I missed the whole topic.

01-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is precisely the problem/issue/yadda, Albert. I elaborated a bit in my 2nd post...

QuoteQuote:
What I am expecting the camera to do in P mode is mimic the behavior of Tv mode when I am moving the Tv e-dial and mimic Av mode when moving the Av e-dial. It doesn't.
Take this example of a base exp. of 1/60s, f/4, ISO 100 and increase shutter to 1/90 and then 1/125. Aperture changes to f/3.5 and f/2.8 respectively. The ISO will not increase from 100 however, and so the shutter can not increase past 1/125s. Now if I change the aperture back to f/4 the ISO will now increase to 200 and the shutter stays on 1/125. I can continue to push the ISO by stopping down the aperture until the ISO maxes out and the shutter will not budge off of 1/125. And if I try increasing the shutter dial again it runs home to mama and I'm back to 1/60, f/4, ISO 100.
And, If I start with an exposure with ISO mid-range and decrease shutter, once aperture hits 2.8 it will decrease ISO down to 100 (yay!). But it will not then let me increase shutter again (boo!).
Easy to replicate: Put the camera into P mode and auto-ISO, focus and hit the green button to get a "correct" exposure (best demonstrated if the f-stop begins stopped down one or two stops). Now start increasing shutter speed. The aperture will stop down until it maxes out. Another click of the Tv dial *should* now start increasing ISO, but it won't. Your ISO will however increase/decrease if the light changes in the framed image or you move the camera around thus changing the light.
01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that I understand the question (it takes a while) I took my trusty k10d with firmware 1.30 on it. It has exactly the same problem. In P, to change the ISO upward, I need to use the aperture wheel. It goes down just fine, but won't go up using the shutter e-dial. Interesting! This bug is there from the k10, at least.
01-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
helps if I type right too ... "The aperture will stop down until it maxes out" should be "The aperture will open up until it maxes out".

I never really noticed the behavior until the other night when I decided I should check out P mode to see what it was all about. I'd only set it there maybe once or twice when I first got my K10D last March
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The Hyper-P mode was one reason I upgraded to K20D (amongst others of course). But now I never use it because of this programming failure.