Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Wrong?

It's not my idea, it is what is suggested in the Owners manual, did you bother to read it? Anyway, it is certainly no sweat off my back if you **** up your camera.

Jason

01-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh yes, I have read the manual. I also actually use my camera. I have just posted a long night shot taken at temperatures below freezing in the User Photo Gallery under Night Shots. My camera is still fine.
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had to chuckle when I read the post that said Pentax cameras shouldn't be used below freezing. As an amateur astrophotographer I find my modified K110D works best when it is cold. In the summer the heat build up on long exposures causes a lot of noise.

My most recent shot was 45 frames * 2 minutes taken on two nights. The first 16 frames were around 20 F (-6 C) and the remainder were around -5 F (-20 C). Fortunately I need only be out with the telescope to set up, focus and check progress. Most of the time I was in the warm house. I agree the critical time for the camera is the changing of temperature.

The Crab nebula with a 2000mm f10 scope:

http://pages.cthome.net/astroleo/m1-2.jpg

BTW the first batch was with in-camera NR, the second batch with NR off and 7 dark frames averaged and subtracted afterward. Certainly the duty-cycle is better with NR off, but in the summer I find the camera needs to cool down between exposures.

Leo Taylor
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Oh yes, I have read the manual. I also actually use my camera. I have just posted a long night shot taken at temperatures below freezing in the User Photo Gallery under Night Shots. My camera is still fine.
I "actually" use my camera as well. Does this negate the ability to hear any common sense and helpful advice?

At the end of the day, I wasn't telling anyone here NOT to do this, just suggested the caution of exposing your camera to the elements (see my first post in this thread and read it). It's not my law that extreme cold for prolonged periods can be harmful to consumer electronics. You can certainly do whatever you want.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 01-19-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Make no mistake, the inability to turn off Dark Frame Subtraction is unusual and wrong!

I am very experienced in Astrophotography and I can assure you that, for example, taking many five minute exposures only requires one (ONE) single five minute Dark Frame reference, NOT one for each photo. That is why the owner should have control over whether or not to engage DFS.

If you ever plan to take exposures of greater than eight seconds with the K20D, you're in for a long wait (double the initial exposure). Think of the shots you'll miss if you are taking photos of a meteor shower, lightning, the starry night, car trails on a highway, etc. Most other DSLR owners will out shoot you!

Other CMOS cameras, such as the Canon 40D (et al) do not force their users to endure this additional wait (the DFS is entirely optional). So the argument that this is simply the nature of owning a CMOS DSLR doesn't wash!

Either it is an oversight OR Pentax is covering up a serious deficiency in the K20D imaging hardware.

Do use all a favor and complaint loud and often.

Here is a link to where you might voice your concern:
http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?origin_us=true

If there is a better/more direct way to complain, please share it with the group.
Here's what Pentax came back with when i asked about the mandatory DFS the K20D performs on long exposures and i'm (and i'm everyone will agree) not happy

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

I understand your frustration at having to wait for the noise reduction to process when you're shooting long exposures. Unfortunately the CMOS sensor in the camera is very susceptible to the digital noise that is created from heat in the camera during these types of exposrues. At the present time there is no way to defeat or override this function in the K20D but you can be assured I have forwarded your feedback to our Digital Product Design Manager. Pentax always appreciates hearing from the consumer public regarding the use of Pentax products, or regarding suggestions for new products or improvements in any area. We appreciate you taking your time to express your thoughts.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

If you would like to participate in our new Pentax Survey, please call 1-800-350-3891.

Sincerely,
Randall Schumacher
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
02-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyDop Quote
Here's what Pentax came back with when i asked about the mandatory DFS the K20D performs on long exposures and i'm (and i'm everyone will agree) not happy

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

I understand your frustration at having to wait for the noise reduction to process when you're shooting long exposures. Unfortunately the CMOS sensor in the camera is very susceptible to the digital noise that is created from heat in the camera during these types of exposrues. At the present time there is no way to defeat or override this function in the K20D but you can be assured I have forwarded your feedback to our Digital Product Design Manager. Pentax always appreciates hearing from the consumer public regarding the use of Pentax products, or regarding suggestions for new products or improvements in any area. We appreciate you taking your time to express your thoughts.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

If you would like to participate in our new Pentax Survey, please call 1-800-350-3891.

Sincerely,
Randall Schumacher
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Thanks for posting this message.

It confirms exactly what I had stated in this forum in the past. Of course, a few Pentax zealots more or less thought I was dead wrong, and guilty of spreading lies!

Pentax engineers screwed up and in an effort to get a faulty product to market, they gambled that most K20D owners wouldn't care if a 5 minute exposure took nearly 10 minutes to complete.

Make no mistake, the K20D is the absolute worst DSLR for long exposure photography. I wish I knew this when I purchased mine!

Even if waiting for a DFS to complete isn't a problem, consider this, according to what I've learned, the Samsung CMOS imager is so noisy that the K20D will more than likely remove other points of light (that are not hot spots).
02-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They live, they learn. You live, you learn. Get over it already.