Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Great deal but it's not a "Buy It Now" price, it's just the current bid with over a day to go before the auction ends and on EBAY, it could skyrocket to over $750. I'll do a "watch this item" and see what it finally goes for tomorrow, I have my doubts it'll stay at $500.

Barry

01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

One more thing to consider is that the K10D probably isn't going to drop much in value from that price 6 moths or even a year from now. The newer models probably will.

I know resale is not a very big consideration in electronics but it's something to think about if you are just starting out and aren't sure if this bug you've caught is going to lead to a lifetime obsession yet.
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
One more thing to consider is that the K10D probably isn't going to drop much in value from that price 6 moths or even a year from now. The newer models probably will.

I know resale is not a very big consideration in electronics but it's something to think about if you are just starting out and aren't sure if this bug you've caught is going to lead to a lifetime obsession yet.
That's a very good point.

c[_]
01-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Not if it ever gets cold, it isn't, Mr. Californian.
It's all relative. I shot some nice pictures in my old C-3000Z that used 4 AAs when it was at freezing temperature (-1C or so) in Paris about 6 years ago. I didn't have battery problems.

If it got much colder than that, I would definitely be hiding indoors and not even thinking about shooting.

01-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
how about the nikon speedlights?
What about them? Would they work nice on a K20d?

I'd love to pop like an SB-E on mine, or better yet, something with an AF assist that'd work.
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Newer isn't always better.

The K200D is a crippled K10D, with a few extra features most of which are not needed, or can be replicated out of the camera (DR expansion which makes less to ME, on a CCD vs a CMOS).

They had to add the features to justify it over the K10D when they were both still for sale new at the same time. But they also removed quite a bit from the camera to "dumb it down" so it would appeal to newer buyers.

THe K10D is a vastly superior camera.

So is the K10D for $399 a good deal, yeah, if it's new or lightly used, it's a great deal.

The K200D never caught my attention, not when the K10D was a better camera and about equal in size. Had they released the K200D in K-m size, I might be a bit different in my statements, but a new model #, a less bright prism, and 1 few control wheel don't justify K200D over K10D.

Repackaging an old camera as a new camera is fine (especially one as good as the K10D), and it only proves that marketing sells products, but products don't sell products.
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Hi,

It's a good price for that camera. But I wouldn't buy it because the newer cameras are now very close in price as others pointed out.

For $554 you can get a K200D + DA 18-55 AL2 lens from amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax depending on the state you live in.

See Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Electronics

The K200D is slightly newer than the K10D, has basically the same image quality, and it it has the advantage of running on AA batteries rather than proprietary lithium ion batteries, which to me is a huge advantage and should save you money in the long run. Oh, and the lens is great.
01-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Definitely buy the camera - it's awesome.

As for batteries...I don't get the love for AA's. You can buy a second l/O battery on ebay for $10, with two fully charged batteries you are looking at 1200-1500 shots (including chimping and flash use).
I can do 1200 shots on two sets of 2500 NiMH too.. Or 1000 on two sets of 2000 eneloops. I know I'm not going to take that many in one day so all I need is one spare set.

QuoteQuote:
They last waaaaay longer, don't wear out nearly as fast (i.e. after multiple recharges), and won't get pawned off into your tv's remotes...leaving you with no power.
I think the eneloops have sold the wearing out issue pretty well ...

QuoteQuote:
AA's may be more readily available, but they cost way more in the long run, don't stand up to the cold, are a pain to fumble with, and don't last nearly as long on a charge.

To each his own, I guess.

c[_]
I have an old Canon ZR70 camcorder that I used only once on a 2 months trip 6.5 years ago, and basically didn't use since. It uses Lithium ion batteries. I had 3 high capacity spare batteries. 3 out of the 4 batteries are now completely dead, just by sitting in the camera bag. They could not be recharged no matter how hard I tried. That includes the OEM Canon battery. They have all had to be recycled. The only one that still lives is an aftermarket one. If I want to ever seriously use this camcorder again, I now need to buy a spare battery for it, which is probably worth more than the camcorder itself at this point, not to mention shipping. I can't just go to a store and buy one. If I don't buy one more, and the last battery dies on a trip, then I will probably be SOL. Guess what - I did not buy a spare battery, and I did not take that camcorder with me on my last few trips abroad.

Now, I'm not saying that all my NiMH AA rechargeables are going to last 6+ years. Many haven't either and were recycled too. But a lot of them have gotten charges in the 100+ range, unlike the camcorder batteries which couldn't have been recharged more than 5 or 6 times each. And my AAs have not had a 75% death rate. So frankly, I haven't been greatly impressed by Lithium ion batteries so far. Sure, it's a small sample size, but I don't see them as an improvement at all.

The 4 AA lithiums (non rechargeables) that came with the K200D on the other hand, were great batteries. They might have gotten as many as 1000 shots. But they were disposable, and too costly to replace, so I didn't buy any more after I was done with them.

01-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Newer isn't always better.

The K200D never caught my attention, not when the K10D was a better camera and about equal in size. Had they released the K200D in K-m size, I might be a bit different in my statements, but a new model #, a less bright prism, and 1 few control wheel don't justify K200D over K10D.
Well, I am very glad that Pentax released the K200D. It was the only DSLR that used AAs. I might never have bought a DSLR at all if Pentax hadn't released it. Just like I might never have bought a car if Toyota didn't release the Prius (and no, it doesn't run on AAs - but it does run on NiMH ).
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
It's all relative. I shot some nice pictures in my old C-3000Z that used 4 AAs when it was at freezing temperature (-1C or so) in Paris about 6 years ago. I didn't have battery problems.

If it got much colder than that, I would definitely be hiding indoors and not even thinking about shooting.
Actually, in defense of AA batteries, the AA Lithium energizers are prefered by polar explorers for the fact they work in extreme cold (-40F/C).

That said, unless you need the AA battery option the K10D/K20D works perfectly fine down to -10F or colder with the stock Li-ion battery.

So I'm not compelled to think that AA batteries serve that much of an advantage anymore unless you are headed to the poles.
01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy it, you won't be sorry. Your budget is fine, there will come a day when you will be able to buy any lens you want. Until then buy an A or M-Series prime lens on the cheap and have fun learning all about photography.
I attended Va Tech in 68-69 and I'd love to see your pictures of the campus and the surrounding area, I was born and raised in Staunton.
01-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #41
Veteran Member

gooshin,

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if you ever get into film, and start paying 10-15 dollars for a single roll of slides, you will think back to what you wrote and laugh really hard.

penny pinching on batteries really is a joke...
they are however really good in flashguns
Cost was only one part of my argument - wide availability, reusability for other purposes, and environmental concerns were another.

<digression>
As for film, I can't ever see myself paying 10-15 dollars for a roll of slides. My father has hundreds, if not thousands, of slides from the 1960s onwards . The colors are so faded now that it's really sad to watch. He has been busy digitizing them with a slide scanner lately. But I think it will take a lot of work to restore them digitally if at all possible. It may be too late. I'll stick with digital from the start. The digital photos from the K200D look quite good, displayed from a PC over HDMI to my HD (1920x1080) projector onto an 106" screen - better than any of my father slides look now, and probably as good as they ever did before. And they will only look better when the resolution of digital projectors increases.
</digression>
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
In any case, as a chemistry grad student, it is your job... you get paid a stipend... and you sign a contract stating that it is you ONLY job... because there is no time for another job.
I'm a grad student in ecology, and I can tell you that photography is a great creative outlet for us science types.

To fund my LBA, I find good deals on used photo equipment on ebay, clean it up and sell it for a profit. It doesn't make much, but it keeps me from chipping away too much at that precious stipend.
01-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #43

Seriously, you should be thinking about which glass to pair with the K10D! It's a steal, enough said!
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #44

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I ordered the DA 18-55 AL II from amazon.com for $99... I can't afford much glass now. The Ritz store only had the older DA 18-55 so I had to order OVERNIGHT... brand new DSLR -- no lens.... this is torture....
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
The K200D never caught my attention, not when the K10D was a better camera and about equal in size.
It all depends on your hands, but for me, the K10D is very noticeably bigger and heavier - deal-breakingly so.