Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
$399 K10D good or great deal?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm up for buying my first DSLR and I found what I think is a really amazing value.

A K10D for $399 at my local Ritz.... body only....

I am most interested in simply getting the most value for my limited dollar. This camera plus a $100 lens will top out my budget.

I 'think' that is is the best thing I've seen at that price....

I've also looked at some Sony, Nikon and Canon offerings, for example the Canon XS is about $450 online.

Should I grab the Pentax K10D while it's still there??

Thanks in advance !!

Ken

01-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I'm up for buying my first DSLR and I found what I think is a really amazing value.

I am most interested in simply getting the most value for my limited dollar. This camera plus a $100 lens will top out my budget.

I've also looked at some Sony, Nikon and Canon offerings, for example the Canon XS is about $450 online.

Thanks in advance !!

Ken
Better do it!

Cos if you don't, I will.
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks in advance !!

Ken
if 500 dollars is your budget for a stab at professional photography, i suggest you stop now and find a different hobby.

and yes, a K10D for 399 is ridiculously cheap!! this camera was 1000 dollars just a little over a year ago.
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if 500 dollars is your budget for a stab at professional photography, i suggest you stop now and find a different hobby.
I've got to start somewhere right??? I'm a grad student so funds are limited....

However, if you'd like to bankroll me, that would be much appreciated !!

Ken

01-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got to start somewhere right??? I'm a grad student so funds are limited....

Ken

be pattient with gooshin

surely he just kidding

--

but 399 is very cheap..

i had mine for 600 dollar. it was second hand one!
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ken
why do so many students use that excuse?

i'm a student too, but i also have a job, go figure

what i'm trying to say is that you will quickly learn that arbitrarily setting your limit to 500 dollars is a bad move, you will quickly realize that all of a sudden you've sunk more money into this than you previously planned

once you buy that body, you'll need a lens, and a memory card

you can make due with a kit lens second hand, but then you will start reading about fast glass, and will want a faster lens

then you will read about old glass, and will want to try the manual focus stuff, you will scourage ebay and craiglist for deals, but at the end of the day there goes another 100-200 dollars for a bag full of older lenses

at first you will not want to use your flash, then you will read about flash photography and give it a try, you will start off with cheap flashes, but in the end, end up buying a higher cost unit with cool features, you may even get into wireless and multiple flashes, then the amount of gadgets related to flash will fill a hole bag

speaking of bags, you might make due with a regular bag or just sling the camera around your neck, but then one day you will meet someone with a fancy camera specific bag, like a sling shot bag, you will give it a try and then wonder why you havent gotten one from day one

then comes other small junk you havent thought about

extra batteries
extra memory cards
software
computer ugprades

then random hardware

tripods
monopods
(yes, do note the s's)

maybe a low-budget light setup

ohh, and i havent even touched teh subject of owning multiple modern 300-500 dollar lenses.

so please, if your budget really is only 500 dollars, and anything more will put you in the poor house, step away now

if that budget is only arbitrary, then get the k10d and enter a world of much fun and wallet burning...

when i got into this, i thought i would only need one camera and a 50mm lens..... now i own 4 camera bodies, a tripod, a monopod, a flash, and 17 lenses.. and a recently aquired negative/slide scanner
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

$399 for a brand new K10D is a DEAL! Go for it!

That'll leave you with a little less than $100 (after sales tax), so that'll be enough for the 18-55 kit lens to get you started. Save up another $100 or so, and you can add a used DA50-200. Save up yet another $100 and you can get yourself a manual focus prime such as the A50/1.7.

You are absolutely right--you have to start somewhere. The more expensive glass can wait until after you've graduated and have more money coming in; it's not necessary to have it to learn on.

HTH,
Heather

01-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Magnificent ... and all true too.

what i'm trying to say is that you will quickly learn that arbitrarily setting your limit to 500 dollars is a bad move, you will quickly realize that all of a sudden you've sunk more money into this than you previously planned

you can make due with a kit lens second hand, but then you will start reading about fast glass, and will want a faster lens

then you will read about old glass, and will want to try the manual focus stuff, you will scourage ebay and craiglist for deals, but at the end of the day there goes another 100-200 dollars for a bag full of older lenses

at first you will not want to use your flash, then you will read about flash photography and give it a try, you will start off with cheap flashes, but in the end, end up buying a higher cost unit with cool features, you may even get into wireless and multiple flashes, then the amount of gadgets related to flash will fill a hole bag

speaking of bags, you might make due with a regular bag or just sling the camera around your neck, but then one day you will meet someone with a fancy camera specific bag, like a sling shot bag, you will give it a try and then wonder why you havent gotten one from day one

extra batteries
extra memory cards
software
computer ugprades

then random hardware

tripods
monopods
(yes, do note the s's)

ohh, and i havent even touched teh subject of owning multiple modern 300-500 dollar lenses.

so please, if your budget really is only 500 dollars, and anything more will put you in the poor house, step away now

if that budget is only arbitrary, then get the k10d and enter a world of much fun and wallet burning...

when i got into this, i thought i would only need one camera and a 50mm lens..... now i own 4 camera bodies, a tripod, a monopod, a flash, and 17 lenses.. and a recently aquired negative/slide scanner
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Just make sure they give you the US warrantee. International warrentee's are a bit fuzzy in the US.
01-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks in advance !!

Ken

How about a 20D (without lens) for just over $500 US? See attached:

NEW PENTAX K20D 14.6MP DIGITAL SLR BODY NEW IN BOX - (eBay.ca item 310115560156 end time 16-Jan-09 21:26:40 EST)
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Buy the camera = YES

Set a budget = NO

Get a job = YES

Quit school = NO

Party out less = YES

Stay at home = NO
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd have been happy with that deal, quite recently . Happens I could do a bit better, and get a K20 at holiday price plunge prices, but a lot of things came together at once.

Yes, there's always more money to spend in photography, but that K10d is probably the best place four hundred dollars could put you in since this whole digital thing started.

The K20d's a worthwhile upgrade, but if the K10's at that point of 'it's a reach but doable,' sure.
01-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

--

you falling deeper goosshh..

cannot help you..

==

01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #14

Original Poster

extra batteries
extra memory cards
software
computer ugprades

then random hardware

tripods
monopods
(yes, do note the s's)

It's hard not to find you a bit condescending... but I'll try...

In any case, as a chemistry grad student, it is your job... you get paid a stipend... and you sign a contract stating that it is you ONLY job... because there is no time for another job.

Also, in chemistry, there is life after grad school. There is even a chance I may get a job paying much better... then I can get all these 'extra's' I certainly don't need now while I'm just learning the hobby and giving it a shot.

But for now, a budget is necessary and for $500 for camera and lens I think I've got plenty to start with....

Thanks to all !

Ken
01-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's a good deal. If it comes with a warranty, I'd say it buy it. It's a better camera than the other entry level options -- you get a lot more flexibility and options.

And you can buy a used kit lens for much less than 100 bucks. A used tamron 28-200mm XR super zoom for around 100 bucks.

A fast manual focus 50mm. . . maybe even an autofocus F or FA f/1.7 for near that price.

Or a couple of m42 lenses for 100 bucks if you go that route.

I think it's a perfectly doable budget.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 01-15-2009 at 12:46 PM.