Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I almost made the jump from Pentax to Nikon late last year but then I found a K10D from Calumet on Ebay for $399 (the last I checked they had a couple of them left). It was listed as a demo model with full one year warranty but I'm pretty sure, based on the packaging, and the fact that it had zero clicks on it, that it had never been out of the box.

I have lenses that cost me nothing that weren't as good a deal as that $400 body. You will not find anything new or used anywhere near its equal for similar money, not even close.

01-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
That's a good deal. If it comes with a warranty, I'd say it buy it. It's a better camera than the other entry level options -- you get a lot more flexibility and options.

And you can buy a used kit lens for much less than 100 bucks. A used tamron 28-200mm XR super zoom for around 100 bucks.

A fast manual focus 50mm. . . maybe even an autofocus F or FA f/1.7 for near that price.

Or a couple of m42 lenses for 100 bucks if you go that route.

It think it's a perfectly doable budget.

--

i hold an canon 40d yesterday..use it as well.
now im very sure my k10d stand equal with it.
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I'm up for buying my first DSLR and I found what I think is a really amazing value.

Should I grab the Pentax K10D while it's still there??
Ken
It's a good price for that camera. But I wouldn't buy it because the newer cameras are now very close in price as others pointed out.

For $554 you can get a K200D + DA 18-55 AL2 lens from amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax depending on the state you live in.

See Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Electronics

The K200D is slightly newer than the K10D, has basically the same image quality, and it it has the advantage of running on AA batteries rather than proprietary lithium ion batteries, which to me is a huge advantage and should save you money in the long run. Oh, and the lens is great.
01-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

AA battery usage is not an advantage

it is an alternative.

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Hi,

It's a good price for that camera. But I wouldn't buy it because the newer cameras are now very close in price as others pointed out.

For $554 you can get a K200D + DA 18-55 AL2 lens from amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax depending on the state you live in.

See Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Electronics

The K200D is slightly newer than the K10D, has basically the same image quality, and it it has the advantage of running on AA batteries rather than proprietary lithium ion batteries, which to me is a huge advantage and should save you money in the long run. Oh, and the lens is great.

01-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

it is an alternative.
It has one advantage. You can get batteries in a pinch if you need to -- but having done both the AA and the Lithium route, I much prefer the single Lithium battery.
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Lithium is by far the better choice!!!

Here's what you need to do. Buy the K10D (like I did), and who knows, down the road you may come across a great deal on the K20D (Like I did) and the you will have one hell of a backup body.

You won't be sorry!
01-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

it is an alternative.
Yes, it's a superior alternative.

AAs are widely available. AA usage means your camera is not likely to run out of battery. The AA batteries are cheap, even rechargeable, whereas the proprietary lithium ones cost more.

And when it will come time to upgrade your camera, there will probably be another model that will take AAs too, but not your old proprietary one. Or if not, you can use them in your shaver, thermostat, remote control, etc. You preserve your battery investment, and the environment, by choosing a camera that uses AAs.

01-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not if it ever gets cold, it isn't, Mr. Californian.

One thing I do not miss about the analog age is carrying spare AA's. I don't like proprietary batteries on general principle, but to not deal with slightly-better-than-the-pounds-of-NiCds-we cursed....

Forget about it.

This isn't to say I wouldn't welcome a bit of clever engineering that'd let you run a K20 off some AA's, in a pinch, (or maybe just plug your Li-ion directly into a wall) ...but, this isn't about swapping your drive batteries into your flash in a pinch, it's about hopefully not running out of juice in the first place.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-15-2009 at 02:54 PM.
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
Also, in chemistry, there is life after grad school. There is even a chance I may get a job paying much better...
Yep, it's call a post-doc, just like I have now! Like graduate school but no thesis and slightly better pay.
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

AAs are widely available. AA usage means your camera is not likely to run out of battery. The AA batteries are cheap, even rechargeable, whereas the proprietary lithium ones cost more.

And when it will come time to upgrade your camera, there will probably be another model that will take AAs too, but not your old proprietary one. Or if not, you can use them in your shaver, thermostat, remote control, etc. You preserve your battery investment, and the environment, by choosing a camera that uses AAs.
if you ever get into film, and start paying 10-15 dollars for a single roll of slides, you will think back to what you wrote and laugh really hard.

penny pinching on batteries really is a joke...

anyway, lithiums outlast AA's by 50% atleast in my experience, and i use eneloops

when the temperature drops, AA's sieze to function, i once had a fresh set drain in about 20 minutes when it was -15 outside,

dont even think about using the pop up flash either.

either you dont exploit your gear as much as i do, or you have never used a camera intensivly that uses lithiums, because if you did, you wouldnt be so hung ho about AA's

they are not superior, nor are they inferior,

they are however really good in flashguns
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great deal! Buy it, and be happy. Good luck in school and have fun with your camera.
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they are however really good in flashguns
I'm actually kinda wondering when I can get a little strobe that runs off a cell phone battery or something. Yaknow, there's all these times when I need it, but not for long or much, and don't want to be lugging around a four-cell unit. We used to be able to get these teeny manual units (ironically, not that unlike a pop-up) that'd fill the bill for a splash of fill.
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

how about the nikon speedlights?
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Not if it ever gets cold, it isn't, Mr. Californian. .....
Well, I use Energizer Lithium AA's in my Olympus C5050. Not rechargeable but they last a long time. weigh less than NiMh (and a LOT less than alkaline), and function very well in cold weather. I've used them in temp down to 0 degrees F with no problem. Energizer claims minus 40 degrees F. Could be but I doubt that I would function at that temp, never mind the camera.

Richard
01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Definitely buy the camera - it's awesome.

As for batteries...I don't get the love for AA's. You can buy a second l/O battery on ebay for $10, with two fully charged batteries you are looking at 1200-1500 shots (including chimping and flash use).

They last waaaaay longer, don't wear out nearly as fast (i.e. after multiple recharges), and won't get pawned off into your tv's remotes...leaving you with no power.

AA's may be more readily available, but they cost way more in the long run, don't stand up to the cold, are a pain to fumble with, and don't last nearly as long on a charge.

To each his own, I guess.

c[_]