Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Folder name??

Why is my pentax k20d make this unlogical folder names 100_0112 101_0111 etc I understand the last four digits is the date. But why the 100 or 101 or 102 and so on in the front. It would have been much easyer to sort them in windows explorer if it's was only the date including year.

Is it possible to make it so?

01-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know how to change it in camera but I've just renamed my directories on the computer for the last few years. I usually want to add a description anyway.
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe that is the DCIM convention for folder naming.
Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
I don't know how to change it in camera but I've just renamed my directories on the computer for the last few years. I usually want to add a description anyway.
I do the same as part of my workflow - but to make sure they are sorted in date order when viewed in Adobe Bridge (or Windoze Explorer), I rename them using the format: YYYYMMDD_subject

Must get around to writing some code to do it automatically......

01-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I believe that is the DCIM convention for folder naming.
Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hmm too bad they couldn't make a DCIM convention for folder naming that makes more sense.

Thank's
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I just import into a folder that I've created and named.
01-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phaser Quote
Hmm too bad they couldn't make a DCIM convention for folder naming that makes more sense.
You should have bought an Olympus At least the picture numbers make sense and there is no / less need for folders
Code:
Pmddxxxx
where m is the month, dd the day and xxxx is a sequence number; that's how it works on my girlfriend's SP500UZ

I'm not sure if it's according to the standard.

Last edited by sterretje; 01-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.
01-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Any decent photo management software should be able to name the folders and images automatically on import; I can't see why anyone would care what the camers calls the files. I have ACDSee set up to automtically create folders by date taken (YYYY-MM-DD), and automatically rename images as MJS_YYMMDD_####, where MJS are my initials and #### is the original sequence number from the camera. actually, to get that particular naming, it has to be done as an explicit step after import, but it's as simple as select all, F2, enter. If I didn't mind keeping "IMGP" in the filename, it could be done completely automatically. And other import utilities will do just that.
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Any decent photo management software should be able to name the folders and images automatically on import; I can't see why anyone would care what the camers calls the files. I have ACDSee set up to automtically create folders by date taken (YYYY-MM-DD), and automatically rename images as MJS_YYMMDD_####, where MJS are my initials and #### is the original sequence number from the camera. actually, to get that particular naming, it has to be done as an explicit step after import, but it's as simple as select all, F2, enter. If I didn't mind keeping "IMGP" in the filename, it could be done completely automatically. And other import utilities will do just that.
Heck, you can just drag and drop the image files off the card and into the directory of choice. That's how I did it before I got Lightroom.
01-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't say it's a big problem to work around this. I just think it should be a better system on the camera so you don't need to use any programs or renaming folders/files.
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You should have bought an Olympus At least the picture numbers make sense and there is no / less need for folders
Code:
Pmddxxxx
where m is the month, dd the day and xxxx is a sequence number; that's how it works on my girlfriend's SP500UZ

I'm not sure if it's according to the standard.
Yes, but where's the year, and why the "P"?
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer ISO format yyyymmdd anyway.

Jack
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, but where's the year?
Just digged the spec up:
  • DCF filenames are limited to eight characters
  • Four (uppercase) alphanumerical characters followed by a four-digit sequence number (0000 not allowed)
So there is no space for the year; Olympus already uses A, B and C for october, november and december (Ahex=10, Bhex=11 and Chex=12) to stay within the first four.

And if you have not moved your photos from the card within a year, ...
01-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I just checked my K10D and my wife's K200D. Both cameras have the ability to set the folder name to "Date" in the set up menu.
Brian
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

does it matter, and who cares anyway?

not to start an argument here, but folder names are not really relevant because almost every one has their own file storage method.

Mine is folders by year, subfolders by month, and images stored within the month, except for special events that are sub-sub-folders within the month.

for example a vacation will have a specific sub-sub folder within the month, and perhaps sub-sub-sub folders for places within the vacation.

As a result, how the camera partitions the storage on a card is not important.

What is much more important, and not addressed until the K20 was the ability to modify file names. I have 2 DSLRs, and each has gone over 10K shots. therefore, without having my own convention for renaming files when I download, I would have had 4 photos shot at different times with the same name.

I have atransfer directory for each camera, and using the batch image renaming of my processor, I add the camera name (istD or K10D) and renumber images with 5 digits, and add the leading 1 (for 10,000)