Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

This review is awesome! I'm not in the market for a new screen, as I shoot almost exclusively with AF (to which I don't have any issues on either of my K10D's), but the assistance with the minor focusing, or the dof preview would be very helpful, as I shoot primarily portraits.

Nailing the right F stop right way without having to chimp would be awesome!

Some good food for though...and an excellent review (with great pics)!

Thank you very much

01-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #17

Thanks for the review. Two questions:

What lens at which aperture did you use to take these test shots?

What about the inaccurate spot metering resulting from the focusing screen? Did you experience/test this?
01-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great review! I already knew the advantages of split/micro-prisms from using my manual cameras; and I certainly wouldn't mind having one on my K100D.
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is the best review of the Katzeye screen to date. I love mine which does not have the optibrite treatment. It's one thing trying to explain to people how nice it works but you've done a great service by showing them, great job!

01-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
omz

Man, I can't wait for mine. I ordered it a week or so ago.
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It makes sharing these types of tests worthwhile! That is what I like about this particular forum.

stevebrot nails it in post #15 when he talks about the limitations of the stock Pentax focusing screen. What he describes explains what I didn't like about the original screen. I just never knew why it behaved the way it does. I am so glad that Pentax designs in the ability to change out the focusing screens!
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More test photos...

OK to test the effect on metering, I ran another specific series of tests. I also ran the manual aperture ring test that stevebrot suggested in post #8. I believe that test is intended to test the "stop down" metering characteristics.

Settings:

Av mode
Auto ISO
FA 35mm lens (as suggested by stevebrot)

The only postprocessing of the photos was white balance of the RAW photo because the lighting was fluorescent.

This photo used multi-segment metering:

This photo used center-weighted metering:

This photo used spot metering:

The following picture used the lens aperture ring manually selected to f/6.7 The camera was on manual. The "green button" was pushed to set the shutter speed and ISO to what the meter thinks is the proper setting. I only show one picture because the exposure turned out the same for multi, center, and spot metering:

My conclusion: The Katz eye does not seem to be affecting metering at all in any of the tests I have conducted so far.
01-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
...The following picture used the lens aperture ring manually selected to f/6.7 The camera was on manual. The "green button" was pushed to set the shutter speed and ISO to what the meter thinks is the proper setting. I only show one picture because the exposure turned out the same for multi, center, and spot metering...
Thanks for the doing the test. Was there any bias at f/2 or at f/16-22?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-15-2009 at 11:25 PM.
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the doing the test. Was there any bias at f/2 or at f/16?

Steve
No. And I just ran a test again at both f/2 and f/16. with spot metering. (I had to use a tripod since f/16 gave me a 2s shutter speed.) The exposure difference of the two pictures was very slight. Not really enough for me to post.
01-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
No. And I just ran a test again at both f/2 and f/16. with spot metering. (I had to use a tripod since f/16 gave me a 2s shutter speed.) The exposure difference of the two pictures was very slight. Not really enough for me to post.
Interesting. I just did an exposure series with my FA 35/2 and got a 2 stop underexposure bias at f/16 and a one 1.5 stop underexposure bias at f/2 using stop-down metering. My KatzEye does not have the Optibright treatment.

I think I will give the people at KatzEye a call to see if they have a good answer.

Steve

P.S. An exposure series is best done with the camera aimed at a blank, white wall. No tripod needed. You should also set the meter to center-weighted for the AV exposures since the camera always uses center-weighted in stop-down M mode.

The quick and dirty test is to simply run the series in M mode with the green button and then preview the whole series using the at-a-glance option in the rear LCD. All frames should have equivalent brightness.
01-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hooooooray! This may just be the best thread I have come upon since I bought my K20. I love the camera, but have been consistently let down with the struggle needed to get great & consistent manual-focus results.

I bought an inexpensive Chinese foucs screen and the Pentax 1.2x eyepiece, but am still not happy. I also practice a lot with manual focus. Though the Chinese screen does aid with manual focus, and is better than the stock screen for this purpose, it is not what I had hoped for. One of the main reasons I bought into Pentax was to shoot with all that awesome, old glass.

If what I read here is correct, I am on my way to the Katzeye people for a new screen because, though it is not cheap, it surely is worth it if focusing errors become history.

PentaxPoke, I can not thank you enough for this awesome review, one of the best of its kind I have seen. It is simple, clear and effective. The Katzeye people need to pay you for the increase in business you are sure to generate. Thanks again, so much!!!

Regards,

Ernest
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I would be cautious interpreting the results when testing older manual lenses. Aperture rings often get a bit sticky with age with results in overexposure at f16 and smaller. At least I know my old M100 f/4 does just this.

Jack
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hooooooray! This may just be the best thread I have come upon since I bought my K20. I love the camera, but have been consistently let down with the struggle needed to get great & consistent manual-focus results.

I bought an inexpensive Chinese foucs screen and the Pentax 1.2x eyepiece, but am still not happy. I also practice a lot with manual focus. Though the Chinese screen does aid with manual focus, and is better than the stock screen for this purpose, it is not what I had hoped for. One of the main reasons I bought into Pentax was to shoot with all that awesome, old glass.

If what I read here is correct, I am on my way to the Katzeye people for a new screen because, though it is not cheap, it surely is worth it if focusing errors become history.

PentaxPoke, I can not thank you enough for this awesome review, one of the best of its kind I have seen. It is simple, clear and effective. The Katzeye people need to pay you for the increase in business you are sure to generate. Thanks again, so much!!!

Regards,

Ernest
Ernest,
Be aware that purchase of the Optibright treatment may be needed to avoid even more severe stop-down exposure issues with non-A lenses than we suffer with the stock screen. My Katzeye without Optibright has badly inaccurate metering at f/11-f/22 and again at f/1.7-f/2.8.

Something to consider if you use M-42, Pentax-K, or Pentax-M lenses.

Steve
01-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Poke: I saw your test for metering with the Katzeye, but was hoping to have a response from you on these words, taken directly from the Katzeye site:

"Center Weighted Average (CWA) Metering Mode: Our testing showed CWA metering mode to be accurate for all AF lenses having a maximum aperture of f5.6 or larger (lower f number).
•Evaluative Metering Mode: Our testing showed evaluative metering mode to be accurate for all AF lenses having a maximum aperture of f5.6 or larger (lower f number).
•Spot Metering Mode: Our testing showed spot metering mode to be within factory tolerance for all AF lenses having a maximum aperture of f2.0 or larger (lower f number). Lenses having a maximum aperture smaller than f2.0 (lager f number) will show a significant shift toward increased exposure, with the shift increasing for lenses with smaller maximum apertures. Spot metering mode is NOT RECOMMENDED when using a split prism focusing screen with lenses slower than f2.0. However, if spot mode must be used, it is strongly advised to first take a test shot, check the histogram, and adjust exposure compensation as required
"

I rely heavily upon spot metering.
01-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I would be cautious interpreting the results when testing older manual lenses. Aperture rings often get a bit sticky with age with results in overexposure at f16 and smaller. At least I know my old M100 f/4 does just this.

Jack
I have run exposure series with my FA 35/2 (new this last spring) and my manual aperture J-9. The stop-down metering is flaky on both at small apertures (severe underexposure)...more so even than with the stock screen. My KatzEye lacks the Optibright treatment. That is why I am interested in PentaxPoke's results with the Optibright using a similar lens.

It sounds like the extra $55 bucks for the Optibright may be worth the investment if it evens out the meter response.

Steve