Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Not silly at all. Yes, all the focus lights still work perfectly, and the new screen has no effect on them. The red lights still show up in the original places because they are just projected onto the screen and are not in the screen itself. I elected not to have the Pentax AF brackets etched on to my screen because I wanted it as clear and bright as possible.
Thanks so much! I have now officially added this to my must-buy list as well

01-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #62
Forum Member

PentaxPoke,

Many thanks to you (and others in this thread) for the Katzeye review and guidance; it has been very helpful!

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Katzeye w/ Optibrite for my K10D which I have been using almost exclusively with Pentax K and M prime glass.

While I have been very satisfied with my results while using the original focusing screen, manual focusing is not as exact (or time efficient) as required, therefore my desire to purchase an enhanced focusing screen.

I do have a couple of questions:

1/ did you consider other enhanced focusing screens? If yes, which ones did you consider?
2/ When my budget and needs evolve, I will purchase a couple of zooms (e.g. DA*50-135/2.8) and while it looks like this is not in your bag, would you know if the Katzeye w/Optibrite will effect the use of this lens?

Many thanks!
David
01-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #63
Veteran Member

dyusem,
I'm not PentaxPoke but I can share my similar experiences.

1) I considered the eBay versions and FocusingScreen.com (Taiwan). Katzeye was the only one that manufactured the screens from scratch. The other two (if I remember) were grinding down pre-existing screens to achieve the same results. I did hear some decent feedback about the Taiwanese one though.

2) Take a look at what's in my camera bag. I've had no issues with any of these lenses and the Katzeye.
01-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dyusem Quote
PentaxPoke,

Many thanks to you (and others in this thread) for the Katzeye review and guidance; it has been very helpful!

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Katzeye w/ Optibrite for my K10D which I have been using almost exclusively with Pentax K and M prime glass.

While I have been very satisfied with my results while using the original focusing screen, manual focusing is not as exact (or time efficient) as required, therefore my desire to purchase an enhanced focusing screen.

I do have a couple of questions:

1/ did you consider other enhanced focusing screens? If yes, which ones did you consider?
2/ When my budget and needs evolve, I will purchase a couple of zooms (e.g. DA*50-135/2.8) and while it looks like this is not in your bag, would you know if the Katzeye w/Optibrite will effect the use of this lens?

Many thanks!
David
Thanks David. To answer your questions:

1) I did not consider other screens. I don't know of any other screen that allows focusing with the split screen all the way to a min aperture of f/11. I don't have any lenses that have that poor of a min aperture, but a telescope I use has f/10 fixed aperture. I don't know this first hand, but others here say the cheaper screens black out at f/5.6. That would mean I couldn't use split screen focus on my Pentax 18-250 at the long end.

2) You may have missed it in my sig, but I do have the DA* 50-135. It is my best lens! In reading the Katz FAQ it says that lenses with larger max aperture (like the f/2.8) benefit less from the Optibrite, than lenses with a smaller min aperture). Use of the Katz on the DA* is the most convenient when using AF because if the AF "missed" I can just use the nice "quick-shift" focus without switching to manual! Even if all your lenses are fast, you may still want to get the Optibrite. I haven't read a post from anyone that regrets getting it.

01-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dyusem Quote
PentaxPoke,

David
Hi,
I don't understand how Katzeye focusing sreen can affect this particular lens but not others. I believe it's impossible.

Again, thanks a lot to PentaxPoke. You convinced me and I'm waiting the Katzeye to arrive. Frankly, I thing Katz family should pay him some royalties.
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
dyusem,
I'm not PentaxPoke but I can share my similar experiences.

1) I considered the eBay versions and FocusingScreen.com (Taiwan). Katzeye was the only one that manufactured the screens from scratch. The other two (if I remember) were grinding down pre-existing screens to achieve the same results. I did hear some decent feedback about the Taiwanese one though.

2) Take a look at what's in my camera bag. I've had no issues with any of these lenses and the Katzeye.
Hi Innershell,
I am sorry, while Katzeye sells an excellent product, I don't think they make their screens from scratch. My understanding is that they use available OEM screens as blanks and apply a precision CNC machining process to produce screens that fit the various brands of camera. The screens they sell for Pentax cameras are made from the excellent Nikon K3 screen used on the FM3A.

Steve
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I have just installed my Katz-eye with Optibrite and rulle of thirds grid ... and I can definitely say that this is SOOOOO much better than the factory K10D screen.

I have installed it on my manual K10D (screwmounts only used on this body) ... and when it comes to fine focussing ... it makes life a hell of a lot easier ... as for exposure issues ... I'll test that out later ... but for now in my darkened office on nightshift, it really does perform better than the old screen.
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I have just installed my Katz-eye with Optibrite and rulle of thirds grid ... and I can definitely say that this is SOOOOO much better than the factory K10D screen.

I have installed it on my manual K10D (screwmounts only used on this body) ... and when it comes to fine focussing ... it makes life a hell of a lot easier ... as for exposure issues ... I'll test that out later ... but for now in my darkened office on nightshift, it really does perform better than the old screen.
Awesome! Maybe if enough of us demand split screens, Pentax will start putting them in their cameras again!

01-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #69
Forum Member

Thanks PentaxPoke and everyone...

...else that provided additional guidance!

I am placing my order and I look forward to experiencing the benefits of this enhancement!

Cheers,
David

Thanks David. To answer your questions:

1) I did not consider other screens. I don't know of any other screen that allows focusing with the split screen all the way to a min aperture of f/11. I don't have any lenses that have that poor of a min aperture, but a telescope I use has f/10 fixed aperture. I don't know this first hand, but others here say the cheaper screens black out at f/5.6. That would mean I couldn't use split screen focus on my Pentax 18-250 at the long end.

2) You may have missed it in my sig, but I do have the DA* 50-135. It is my best lens! In reading the Katz FAQ it says that lenses with larger max aperture (like the f/2.8) benefit less from the Optibrite, than lenses with a smaller min aperture). Use of the Katz on the DA* is the most convenient when using AF because if the AF "missed" I can just use the nice "quick-shift" focus without switching to manual! Even if all your lenses are fast, you may still want to get the Optibrite. I haven't read a post from anyone that regrets getting it.
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the split prism finder just helped me explain a problem I have had with one of my lenses. For some reason, I have one lens (the FA50) that every so often just seems to "miss" slightly on auto focus. Particularly indoors, but even outdoors in bright lights. It doesn't miss by enough to notice with the standard viewfinder, so you wouldn't know you had a problem until you downloaded the picture and you got that sinking feeling because of the softness of the image.

I have now had the "50" on my k20d for a couple of days with the new viewfinder, and I can clearly see when the lens misses auto focus. (It happens more than I thought on this particular lens.) Now with the split prism, I know to tap the shutter or AF button again, or worst case, just switch to manual focus. Why the heck aren't these things standard! I feel like I have a brand new camera...

Oh BTW, with a split prism finder, you don't have to use "focus charts" any more to set your k20d AF adjustments for back or front focus. Simply choose a fixed vertical subject, and adjust the AF setting until the prism lines up perfectly. Doing it this way also eliminates the uncertainties in the angled focus chart method you see commonly on the web (that I won't go into in this thread by opening that can of worms. If you want to discuss that, start a different thread. ) Its also FAST because you don't actually have to see a picture to know if the setting is correct.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.
01-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Poke: I have now had the "50" on my k20d for a couple of days with the new viewfinder, and I can clearly see when the lens misses auto focus. (It happens more than I thought on this particular lens.) Now with the split prism, I know to tap the shutter or AF button again, or worst case, just switch to manual focus. Why the heck aren't these things standard! I feel like I have a brand new camera...
Well, I ordered my Katzeye, with Optibrite, just moments after you posted this thread--it now seems like an eternity ago, because I am so excited to get it in the K20 and shoot, shoot, shoot! Posts like this one are heightening the anticipation even more. Rachael Katz sent an e-mail, late yesterday, confirming the shipment--Yippppeeeee!!!
01-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Put it this way ...after using AF for so long ... and now using MF more ... I really dislike AF (especially when it is slightly off).

I guess though I have been luky with my K10D bodies they are pretty close when it coems to AF ... but the new focus screen really shows that it is never spot on. There's a lot of fine-tuning that can be done to get that shot perfect.

Another reason why i love my old Super takumars ... the focussing is much finer as the focus ring gives finer adjustment than the newer lenses ... and the focus ring is nicely damped as well. I am going to really enough this screen. I know they are not the cheapest thing ... but IMHO it is money WELL spent in my case.
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #73

Photos: Gallery
Can I extract the cats-eye style focusing screen from my ME Super and put it in my K200d?

I can think of reasons why that might not work, but I don't know if the difference in format and so forth would create a different size screen, and so forth.
01-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
Can I extract the cats-eye style focusing screen from my ME Super and put it in my K200d?

I can think of reasons why that might not work, but I don't know if the difference in format and so forth would create a different size screen, and so forth.
Screens have been salvaged from junk ME and ME super bodies, but must be cut or ground down to size to fit the K200D. There were some recent posts regarding the process on this forum, but I can't remember where.

Steve
01-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #75
Veteran Member

For More Read on the Issue (Technical Post)

Here is the picture through the viewfinder. It clearly shows that the "r" will be in focus, and the top of the battery will be a bit out of focus, as well as the left battery will be out of focus. There is no way I could have seen this difference with my eye on a standard viewfinder:
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies - Part 2

..in which I have fully explained why the focusing screen of K10D/K20D cannot be relied for accurate manual focusing for the matte area - same case/problem as the Canon 5D there.

I won't buy the Katzeye though, if I had a better choice (In my case, I had, for my Canon body).