Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #76
edl
Veteran Member

PentaxPoke,

Thanks for this thread! I was using my Tak 35/2 indoors wide open a few weeks ago and just could not figure out why everything was slightly out of focus on the K20D. Even with focus confirmation it was off.

I really look forward to trying this screen out - I just ordered one with the same specs as yours.

01-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In case anyone is interested, I found this excellent explanation (link below) for how the split screen focus works, how microprism focusing aids work, and also how the technique is related to the AF systems in modern DSLR's. I found it interesting that the split prism takes advantage of the human eye's high sensitivity to misaligned objects. It makes sense because I can easily tell when the split prism indicates an image is out of focus, even though it looks perfect on simple ground glass. I think my picture #4 (of the 3 batteries) is a clear indicator of that. To the eye, all 3 look in focus, but the split prism clearly indicates that the front and back ones are out of focus.

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Split_Prism.pdf

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #78
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
To all who've posted on this thread, and especially Pentax-Poke, I'd like to say thanks. I ordered my Katz Eye split screen ten days ago, and it was delivered today. Within a couple of hours I had it installed and was testing with several of my lens collections - outside taking the type of shots that my K10D all too often misses the exact focus with in AF. From roughly 30 or so test shots, I will say this thing is great. It will probably get better as I return to the stage I was 40 plus years ago with my old Exakta VX-1000 with split screen focusing. And as others have posted, the installation was not difficult if you print out the Install pdf file and follow it.

Maybe more to follow in a day or so.

While I'm typing, could someone tell me how to include a photo or two in my messages? I see down below under Additional Options a box saying Attach Files, so maybe I need to click on the Manage Attachments. Is that the secret? I'll admit I just noticed it today, never found it before.

Again, thanks to all re the Katz Eye split screen.

Olin
01-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #79
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's right Olin. In the "Go advanced" reply box the Manage Attachments button allows you to attach photos as long as they are small enough I forget but I think the long side needs to be under 700pix or so. You have limits as a member and they can be expanded with a donation as well if you need more storage space.

02-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #80
Veteran Member

I'm very close to just ordering this, but I can't make up my mind about OptiBright. The website says if you use mainly fast primes, the best will be untreated screen.

That pretty much explains me *except* for a couple of lenses; my DA 12-24 F4 and DA 55-300mm F4/5.8. The latter I would sometimes; really, only sometimes, use with a Kenko 1.5x teleconverter with AF. In that case, I'm guessing the viewfinder is going to be F8.7 at most. Do you think I should still get OptiBright?
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA Killer

Need a self-confidence builder? Want to be a shooter like the 'big guys n' gals'?

Wow...

What a difference the "Katz Eye" makes.

I installed the K20D model with OptiBrite and Crosshair Grid. If this had been my first "next" purchase, operator error would have been the only valid excuse for an OOF image.

Get it... you'll love it!

Cheers...
02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Well I ended up ordering with OptiBright ;-) Should be getting mine in a couple days. Can't wait!!

02-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #83
Inactive Account

One of the top marketing (or bragging) points with Pentax is their ability to use lenses going back many years - which means they can be found in many photo shops at good prices (and sometimes in fleamarkets, junkshops etc at ridiculously good prices!). It would be wonderful if Pentax catered for this by having a KatzEye pre-installed, but I won't hold my breath.

Many of the old lenses will be manual focus and the KatzEye seems to be the solution unless you're always going to be photographing in perfect lighting conditions (you're not).

I recently got a very cheap 50mm f2 manual Pentax lens for some portraits and immediately hit the focusing problem - my eyes (after 57 years) just aren't up to it without some help. So it's time I got that help - not sure about the Optibrite but I think I'll be getting that too.
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #84
Veteran Member

OK, I got my KatzEye, but I have reservations. Basically, all the M42s I threw at it, displayed severe (6-8mm) front focus:

This shot with Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4. The focus, according to the split prism and microprism collar, was dead on 0mm (I qudruple checked).

This is what it looked like in the view finder.

This was shot after focusing using Live View. No problemo.

I double checked installation, no problem. I've done these checks before, and my K20D body does not have a front focus problem.

Interestingly, AF works fine; I mount an AF lens (FA31lim and Sigma18-50 checked), and AF, and the pics come out perfectly. Of course, according to the KatzEye, it's way out of focus from the center :-p I'd always thought that AF was reliant on the screen, so this was a bit of a surprise.

Anyhow, I've contacted them and hope to find a resolution. I LOVELOVELOVE the screen itself; the ergonomics of it is just superb; bright, high contrast, just fantastic split prism and microprism.

If only they were accurate!!! :-p
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #85
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Geez are these things hand made? It seems every one of them reacts differently. Just when I'm ready to get one, somebody posts that Exposure is off or ff or bf or...
02-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Well exposure was off, too, with mine. But that was kind of to be expected, right? Since AE is behind the screen. As long as it's consistent, I'm OK with that. I'll set the exposure to +1EV (which is sort of what I thought might be the right number, but I haven't done rigorous tests there yet) and keep it that way. The screen is worth it.

But ff/bf is just... well, it defies the purpose. The biggest reason I want this is so that I can get that +/- 5mm focus spot on with my f1.2/1.4 lenses.
02-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #87

is it possible you put in the screen upside down?
02-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcoz Quote
is it possible you put in the screen upside down?

There's a tab on one corner of the screen. It's quite impossible to put it in upside down
02-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #89

i wondered if that could be possible, too. though i read a few times of people who had done this... maybe with other screens it's possible not with the katzeye.
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #90
Veteran Member

If you see the bottom pic on P.4

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install5.pdf

You will see that it is rather impossible to put the screen in the wrong way. There's only one way that the tab would go in without interfering with the rest of the mechanism.